British man sent home from hospital with paracetamol after breaking neck in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never take a Doctor's word for it.  Treat what they say with as much scrutiny as you would a 2nd hand car salesman.

They do not know everything, they are human, and frequently make a best guess without actually knowing what the hell is going on.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Gee, use your imagination. If the water is shallow you may just bang your head on the bottom.

Gee, I'm using my imagination, and I imagine my feet would hit the bottom first if I jumped in! Different scenario of course if I dived in! Are you American, perchance?

20 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Some people are just plain stupid. As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does".

And that, Walter, answers your ridiculous comment about ".....breaking his own neck on purpose"!! 

Now, (patronising I say) please do try and have a nice day. :smile:

I think that the point that is being made is that he probably didn't realise that the water was so shallow. Sometimes you can be a fair distance from land, and due to the water quality, you think that it's deeper than it actually is. Now, the shallow end of a swimming pool - that's a different scenario!

34 minutes ago, sambum said:

Gee, I'm using my imagination, and I imagine my feet would hit the bottom first if I jumped in! Different scenario of course if I dived in! Are you American, perchance?

Yes, if you jumped-in feet first, but not if you jumped-in head first? He may have also jumped-in belly or butt first; however, he did hit his head. So, I would conclude he jumped-in head first.

You must be British to assume someone would hit their head, if they jumped-in feet first.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I think that the point that is being made is that he probably didn't realise that the water was so shallow. Sometimes you can be a fair distance from land, and due to the water quality, you think that it's deeper than it actually is. Now, the shallow end of a swimming pool - that's a different scenario!

not just that sambum, my point mainly is that the UK hospital should still have given a second opinion via xray even though Thai hospital didn't find anything. The guy was obviously still in agony even while taking painkillers. Some people just want a row though ☺

2 hours ago, sambum said:

I understand what you are saying BUT if you have no idea of the water depth (because of the water 'quality') or possible underwater obstructions, then don't dive. Seems simple to me and something we were taught as kids. 

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Yes, if you jumped-in feet first, but not if you jumped-in head first? He may have also jumped-in belly or butt first; however, he did hit his head. So, I would conclude he jumped-in head first.

You must be British to assume someone would hit their head, if they jumped-in feet first.

You don't jump in head first, you dive in head first! 

Hence, your final sentence is nonsense - you must be American to think that someone could hit their head by jumping in to the water.

15 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I understand what you are saying BUT if you have no idea of the water depth (because of the water 'quality') or possible underwater obstructions, then don't dive. Seems simple to me and something we were taught as kids. 

I suppose that when you are on holiday in a "tropical paradise" sometimes when you are a fair distance from land, you assume the water to be a decent depth, and possibly somebody had already dived in without mishap.

However, you make  a fair point, and if he had jumped in rather than dive in, the consequences would not have been as drastic.

4 hours ago, sambum said:

You don't jump in head first, you dive in head first! 

Hence, your final sentence is nonsense - you must be American to think that someone could hit their head by jumping in to the water.

I suppose that when you are on holiday in a "tropical paradise" sometimes when you are a fair distance from land, you assume the water to be a decent depth, and possibly somebody had already dived in without mishap.

However, you make  a fair point, and if he had jumped in rather than dive in, the consequences would not have been as drastic.

Seems only a Brit would be so English language challenged that they only knew one word for getting into the water.

44 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Seems only a Brit would be so English language challenged that they only knew one word for getting into the water.

I believe you are correct.

If you dive into some water, you jump in head-first with your arms held straight above your head.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dive

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

You are talking absolute rubbish! YOU are the one who only knows one word for getting in the water - JUMP! You haven't even mentioned the word DIVE!

And I can't believe I am wasting so much time on trying to explain the difference. In fact I'm going to spend no more time on it - there's none so blind .....etc etc, so as far as I am concerned, you can go JUMP or DIVE back into your hole! :mfr_closed1:

On 3/7/2018 at 4:48 PM, Marley01 said:

Be interesting if the UK hospitals get to use the X-rays taken from Phuket. 

May throw a spammer in the works .

I broke my arm (badly - a comminuted fracture) in Thailand many years ago the day before I flew back home (flight was already booked when I did it). Luckily I managed to get on the flight, because I was young, foolish and uninsured. In hindsight I'm not sure why they let me board, though I did do the whole thing in a tramadol haze.

The very first thing they did in the British hospital 48 hours later was perform an X ray, and I even had copies of the Thai ones with me. They told me they had to, even though I had an A3 print out of my humerus in three pieces and an arm twice the size of normal that wobbled around like jelly. That's the standard practice with the NHS.

They went on to give me staph infection during a botched operation, and as a result it took two years, two weeks in hospital, 12 months of morphine, tramadol and alprazolam and three more operations for me to get use of my arm back.  They sent me to physio for six months with a completely unhealed infected arm that they hadn't picked up, it's not much fun swimming with one of those. I very nearly took legal action over that experience, it was only the personality of last consultant who was a lovely guy (and finally fixed me up) that stopped me from doing so.

23 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"I was in daily pain and the only pain relief I had was paracetamol and co-codamol.”

There is no mention of prescribed medication given in Phuket, even though he had an X ray there. However, the Tunbridge Wells hospital sent him home with the above drugs and no X ray.

Who was negligent? 

Why quote me? Your reply has NOTHING to do with it. You're just making things MORE confusing.

19 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Don't Think Anti-Biotics would heal a Broken Neck, Mate.....

But I Maybe Wrong, I'm NO Doctor !!!

It seems you have been in Thailand for long enough to know that whatever you go to the hospital for the first thing they do is to prescribe you a pack of useless (and dangerous) antibiotic.

I was referring to the abuse of antibiotics by doctors and patients...

I was OBVIOUSLY begin sarcastic but you missed it and felt so smart, probably thinking I was a complete idiot. :passifier:Really embarrassing... How do you feel now? :clap2:

10 hours ago, sambum said:

You are talking absolute rubbish! YOU are the one who only knows one word for getting in the water - JUMP! You haven't even mentioned the word DIVE!

And I can't believe I am wasting so much time on trying to explain the difference. In fact I'm going to spend no more time on it - there's none so blind .....etc etc, so as far as I am concerned, you can go JUMP or DIVE back into your hole! :mfr_closed1:

Oh, please, don't stop commenting on this. I don't know how else I could pass my day if I didn't have your nonsense at which to chuckle.

15 hours ago, sambum said:

Excellent. Like I said some people just want a childish argument. It's these people who have nothing better to do than use up their own time to waste the time of others who have better things to do.

16 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Excellent. Like I said some people just want a childish argument. It's these people who have nothing better to do than use up their own time to waste the time of others who have better things to do.

Just as a matter of interest, if you thought these men are  performing a synchronised dive  into the water, according to a certain poster (who is one of those that always have to have the last word!) will tell you that they are performing a synchronised jump into the water!

Image result for Olympic diving moves pics

51 minutes ago, sambum said:

Just as a matter of interest, if you thought these men are  performing a synchronised dive  into the water, according to a certain poster (who is one of those that always have to have the last word!) will tell you that they are performing a synchronised jump into the water!

Image result for Olympic diving moves pics

Ah, you need pictures to understand, do you? Well, perhaps that is your problem. You see, in their purest form; they are jumping into the water with their arms outstretched. However, let's use a dictionary.

"Dive—to jump into water, especially with your head and arms going in first"

dive verb (IN WATER) B1 to jump into water, especially with your head and arms going in first, or to move down under the water: Look at those children diving for oysters over there! They ran to the pool, dived in, and swam to the other side.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:53 PM, JAG said:

Why?

He had an accident in Thailand. He was x-rayed in Thailand and was given whatever medication the hospital in Thailand thought best after they found nothing wrong on the x-ray.

When he returned to Britain he was constantly in pain and the pain was hindering him more so he went to the hospital in England where I presume he told them of the whole episode. Due to the fact that the UK hospital did not take a new x-ray themselves says to me they did not carry out their duty of care to what should be expected. It sounds like they were told he had the x-ray and nothing was found (in Thailand) and they basically took that read. That IMO is negligible. Negligence is the worst thing a hospital or doctor can do for obvious reasons. I understand you are not happy with the NHS being sued when they are already on their knees but that is not the fault of this guy, its the fault of numerous governments but thats another issue.

In summary, this guy had an ACCIDENT whether he was foolish or not, he didnt jump/dive into the water trying to hurt himself!! So it was an accident. The duty of care was not carried out correctly in the UK making them liable for any affliction/pain suffered after they failed to x-ray.

Tell me how you would feel if it was one of your family this happened to and I would wager if you were honest that you would be seeking legal advice.

I wont comment further on this, I think I have made my point clear enough, if you disagree, thats your prerogative.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:03 PM, ravip said:

Who cut your knee?

Where?

BKK Hospital Udon , my knee had collected blood around joint and they had to temove it, it was kinda  dried , so they had to squeeze it out, <deleted> painful ?, but phimai Hospital just said come back in three weeks, I probably would have gotten gangrene , who know, after that they gave me Celebrex, they cut top off to get coagulated blood , out

Archived