Rabies warning nationwide as infection rates ‘much worse’ than before

webfact

10 minutes ago, meatboy said:

did it work YES for awhile till those who screamed blue murder.about the way it was done.now dugs and user's are out of control,mosquito's out of control,as for driving NO COMMENT, and the latest RABIES is out of control.SO WHATS THE ANSWER.

And the answer is - do not leave it to "thai authorities" to deal with it, they are unable and sometimes unwilling.

Same as you, I do not have the answer either, but some effective action on time would be better than a brilliant action too late. 

In the meantime (regarding the rabies problem) mitigate the risk by culling the herd (the dogs running wild) and vaccinating the rest and severely punishing owners who do not vaccinate their animals.

IMHO.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

As if the human population can't afford to lose a handful of people to this disease. It's hardly going to cause a population collapse.

I would be more concerned about trying to stamp out breading grounds for mosquito's that spread dengue fever than picking on the soi dog population.

So you're volunteering then? No, didn't think so.

18 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

And the answer is - do not leave it to "thai authorities" to deal with it, they are unable and sometimes unwilling.

Same as you, I do not have the answer either, but some effective action on time would be better than a brilliant action too late. 

In the meantime (regarding the rabies problem) mitigate the risk by culling the herd (the dogs running wild) and vaccinating the rest and severely punishing owners who do not vaccinate their animals.

IMHO.

I have to agree with most of your post,but we who have NO SAY in this country,we would be locked up if we took action.

culling the herd,who is to say which ones are wild if we done that our lives would be in danger as all them would have owners.

as for severely punishing the owners this has been said many times before it will cause them GREAT HARDSHIP.

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

I have to agree with most of your post,but we who have NO SAY in this country,we would be locked up if we took action.

culling the herd,who is to say which ones are wild if we done that our lives would be in danger as all them would have owners.

as for severely punishing the owners this has been said many times before it will cause them GREAT HARDSHIP.

Yup.

But picture this scenario: the 'authority' asks those present "Who owns this dog?" No one owns up (no owner or the fear of being in trouble) - BANG! Another one bites the dust. 

It's a start :coffee1:

28 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yup.

But picture this scenario: the 'authority' asks those present "Who owns this dog?" No one owns up (no owner or the fear of being in trouble) - BANG! Another one bites the dust. 

It's a start :coffee1:

this is one word of your post that is god in Thailand,3dogs have been killed near us,chasing bikes ect,one has been abandoned,and now there is another 2 that I am certain will go the same way.who is the owner of the house?yes they came from the same house.

the word "AUTHORITY"

On 3/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not just "domestic" pets that are at issue they have to have an Oral Rabies Vaccine program through bait in the wild to combat the spread of the rabies virus.  The domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg....  culling soi dogs won't do much, if anything to combat it.

Transmission of rabies requires direct contact with infected animals, when you state that 'domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg', you are claiming that the majority of rabies exposures in humans are due to contact with non-domestic animals!  It is hard to imagine what that exposure might be.  Do you have any evidence to support your statement?  Actually, expanding vaccinations of domestic animals particularly dogs and cats is an excellent way of reducing the chances of exposure in the human population and a first step towards rabies elimination! 

8 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

As if the human population can't afford to lose a handful of people to this disease. It's hardly going to cause a population collapse.

I would be more concerned about trying to stamp out breading grounds for mosquito's that spread dengue fever than picking on the soi dog population.

A noble proposal, but very challenging.  Dengue vectors are container breeders.  Effective control requires widespread, sustained community involvement as well as continuous surveillance of the human population for circulating virus.  Even countries with robust control programs such as Singapore have difficulty controlling transmission. 

1 hour ago, Gregorio1 said:

Transmission of rabies requires direct contact with infected animals, when you state that 'domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg', you are claiming that the majority of rabies exposures in humans are due to contact with non-domestic animals!  It is hard to imagine what that exposure might be.  Do you have any evidence to support your statement?  Actually, expanding vaccinations of domestic animals particularly dogs and cats is an excellent way of reducing the chances of exposure in the human population and a first step towards rabies elimination! 

It is the tip of the iceberg in that they are the domestic cats and dogs are the ones getting it from non-domestic animals (the rate of rabies is higher since that is the source of the infection) (i.e. the front line as I said).  Killing off the front line (as some here have suggested) just moves it to a new front line.  The rabies virus is a wild virus and its origins are in any number of wild animals.  We often don't see many of the smaller animals because our pets are the ones most likely to come in contact with them.  Kill them off, remove them from the scene and will come into contact with them more often - with a higher rate of infection.  Immunize them and leave them on the front line and we will be much better off.   Animals in the furious stage of rabies are not going to act as they would normally - so you cannot attribute a certain behaviour profile to them other than if you are anywhere close to them there is a high likelihood they will attack.  You don't control the spread of the virus by attacking our front line, you do it by attacking at it at its source.

Wifey has just informed me that vets are visiting the local villages vaccinating dogs (but not cats) for free.

Of course our viscous rottweilers, dobermans, ok, chihuahuas were already done at my cost.

This is northern BKK.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is the tip of the iceberg in that they are the domestic cats and dogs are the ones getting it from non-domestic animals (the rate of rabies is higher since that is the source of the infection) (i.e. the front line as I said).  Killing off the front line (as some here have suggested) just moves it to a new front line.  The rabies virus is a wild virus and its origins are in any number of wild animals.  We often don't see many of the smaller animals because our pets are the ones most likely to come in contact with them.  Kill them off, remove them from the scene and will come into contact with them more often - with a higher rate of infection.  Immunize them and leave them on the front line and we will be much better off.   Animals in the furious stage of rabies are not going to act as they would normally - so you cannot attribute a certain behaviour profile to them other than if you are anywhere close to them there is a high likelihood they will attack.  You don't control the spread of the virus by attacking our front line, you do it by attacking at it at its source.

What non-domestic animals are you describing as a reservoir?  Rabies in rodents is very rare, these animals do NOT typically serve as reservoirs (stable sources) for transmission of infection.  They have identified rabies virus circulating in bat populations in Europe and North America, but the frequency of contact with domestic animals is generally quite low and only drives sporadic outbreaks.  There are other animals that serve as reservoirs, but I don't know that they are major factors in SE Asia.  Thus I don't understand what you mean by "attacking at it at its source".  I may not understand your logic, but i agree with you that mass vaccinations of susceptible populations are the best approach to preventing outbreaks.  I would focus on cats and dogs (domestic and feral) as once they are vaccinated, they will not become infected and transmit the virus.   The efficacy of the vaccine in these populations is well established. 

16 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

"Antagonized", you mean I was guilty of having an unpleasant aftershave? 

"Tortured" is just laughable....

To be more factual, my little one (15 months got bitten) in the market because some mongrel thought her doughnut should be his. Cost us three trips to the local hospital. But on the bright side, my beloved wife has some moderate clout with the authorities, and the strays got removed from the market, my girls are cute and there was no problem to gather support either.

But back to the point, I guess you reckon that a 15 months infant antagonizes and tortures a hungry stray dog by eating a doughnut within his sensorial range?

Hope you can see how ridiculous your claim can be.

Why are you feeding a 15 month old doughnuts? That's like feeding swans beefburgers.

12 minutes ago, meatboy said:

380million bht.going to the province's this morning to fight the rabies infection,LAND OF SMILES for some.

Wonderful that it is going. Hope all of it (not just the "bit" left over) is used for the problem.

Yup - cynical fact based statement.

7 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Wonderful that it is going. Hope all of it (not just the "bit" left over) is used for the problem.

Yup - cynical fact based statement.

yes lets hope it will go to help fight this dreadfull disease,ALL OF IT.

just reading a news report that a budget for a certain area in 2013 to help against this,HAS GOT T0 BE PAID BACK.

23 minutes ago, meatboy said:

yes lets hope it will go to help fight this dreadfull disease,ALL OF IT.

just reading a news report that a budget for a certain area in 2013 to help against this,HAS GOT T0 BE PAID BACK.

"...HAS GOT T0 BE PAID BACK...."  Not a hope in hell I would think, already has been corruptly diverted.

Just words from a Government trying to convince Thai people that they (Govt.) are onto it. Bulls hit!  :coffee1:

22 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"...HAS GOT T0 BE PAID BACK...."  Not a hope in hell I would think, already has been corruptly diverted.

Just words from a Government trying to convince Thai people that they (Govt.) are onto it. Bulls hit!  :coffee1:

in over 35yrs.being involved here and married for 30 of them,i am loosing heart fast of my love for this country,

being over 73 its only the wife that keeps me going.the tv.channels cant wait to show the worst that is happening every day,thailand has gone back 40yrs and keeps retreating.they are more interested in banning adverts and the morst stupid things.yet dengue fever,drug addicts,the worst driving fatality rate in the world and now its rabies that has become no.1 priority.my love for dogs and what is happening has almost broke my heart.even THAI VISA IS GOING THIS WAY.

MEATBOY.

Archived