Rabies warning nationwide as infection rates ‘much worse’ than before

webfact

12 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Why overcomplicating the issue. Cats are not a problem, as they will never get near humans they are not acquainted with. Dogs either have an owner or are either stay or feral. It is quite simple, feral and stray animals are a public health issue, the only cost effective manner to address this issue is elimination. The cost of elimination can be somewhat lower if the carcasses are recycled for food, pet food or Vietnam.

Anything else just doesn't make sense.

Because it's a complicated issue, much as you'd like to reduce it to 'killing all animals that annoy me'......

The wild, rabies-carrying animals will still be there - despite your (no doubt) fervent hopes that these can also be killed.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at your 'simple' solution.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Because it's a complicated issue, much as you'd like to reduce it to 'killing all animals that annoy me'......

The wild, rabies-carrying animals will still be there - despite your (no doubt) fervent hopes that these can also be killed.

Well, my simple solution works, in every, modern, civilized country I know. I works to the extents that we have have to great joy to see the wolf resettling in large areas. Wild animals are not a potent vector of rabies, dogs are, because of the ambiguous attitude towards humans.

Let me ask you a question: if rats or mice were a vector for rabies would you oppose their destruction.

39 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Why overcomplicating the issue. Cats are not a problem, as they will never get near humans they are not acquainted with. Dogs either have an owner or are either stay or feral. It is quite simple, feral and stray animals are a public health issue, the only cost effective manner to address this issue is elimination. The cost of elimination can be somewhat lower if the carcasses are recycled for food, pet food or Vietnam.

Anything else just doesn't make sense.

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

11 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, my simple solution works, in every, modern, civilized country I know. I works to the extents that we have have to great joy to see the wolf resettling in large areas. Wild animals are not a potent vector of rabies, dogs are, because of the ambiguous attitude towards humans.

Let me ask you a question: if rats or mice were a vector for rabies would you oppose their destruction.

Has rabies been eradicated in the US - surely a "modern, civilised country"?

Re. rats and mice, I gather they are carriers - but I'm lucky enough to live in a rabies free area and so don't have to worry about anything other than the annoyance factor - plus, I know they are pretty much impossible to eradicate, despite the best efforts of mankind! :laugh:

A couple of weeks ago somebody reported one of my neighbors stray cats (not me, I should add).  Authorities came by and picked up all the strays. Within a couple of days the neighbors had brought them all back from the pound (I guess)--maybe 20 or more.  They then constructed a giant pen. Now the cats stay in the pen and the owners take them out in turns--on a leash. Seems to be working out okay. I'm guessing the cats were vaccinated when they were taken away. Just goes to show that things can be made to work here.

Our local beach that we would go to a couple of times a month has 3 dogs with collars and they are nice dogs, look well looked after and clean. They will sit close waiting for a bit of food and even wave a paw if they catch your eye as though were giving you a paw at a distance. All fine apart from one major, in my eyes, problem. They will fight any and all dogs that are strays coming into their patch. 

Who knows what problems they pick up during their fights.

Puts me off going to that beach now.

Just for info, the following is taken from the WHO web page about rabies:

• Dog destruction alone is not effective in rabies control. There is no evidence that removal of dogs alone has ever had a significant impact on dog population densities or the spread of rabies. In addition, dog removal may be unacceptable to local communities. However, the targeted and humane removal of unvaccinated, ownerless dogs may be effective when used as a supplementary measure to mass vaccination.
  • Mass canine vaccination campaigns have been the most effective measure for controlling canine rabies. 

WHO dog rabies control

57 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

However, the targeted and humane removal of unvaccinated, ownerless dogs may be effective when used as a supplementary measure to mass vaccination.

Well that's all we are asking for. Thanks WHO. Bear in mind that any dog, out in the streets, without his owner, is by my standard a stray.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:11 AM, Kieran00001 said:

Its hardly their fault, there is nothing they can do with an animal given to them but take care of it, its written that they must.

But they do not take care of them, discipline them, control or train them. That is "taking care" of a dog. 

On 3/10/2018 at 7:17 AM, kannot said:

I believe he already offered a  solution to solve the problem but it wasn't to your approval.

Right. He/she offered a real good logical solution didn't they. Lets just go out & slaughter/starve/neglect them all. That must make sense to dimwitted, small minded, pea brained, selfish <deleted> with no compassion now doesn't it?

3 minutes ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Right. He/she offered a real good logical solution didn't they. Lets just go out & slaughter/starve/neglect them all. That must make sense to dimwitted, small minded, pea brained, selfish <deleted> with no compassion now doesn't it?

I saw a man dieing of rabies in 75 in India. I might be small minded but his brain was foam and mush.... They beat him to death with lathis before he attacked anybody. 

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

I wonder how many people in Thailand die from snake bites compared to rabies

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Snake belongs in nature soi dogs don't 

Dog lovers are like anti smokers 

I love dogs so dogs can be everywhere 

Anti smoker's I don't smoke so nobody can't smoke 

Your dog lovers are so double moral keep the dogs in check not all like dog's bagging after you 

1 minute ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Snake belongs in nature soi dogs don't 

Dog lovers are like anti smokers 

I love dogs so dogs can be everywhere 

Anti smoker's I don't smoke so nobody can't smoke 

Your dog lovers are so double moral keep the dogs in check not all like dog's bagging after you 

You belong back in Scandinavia, not Thailand. Go home to your smoke filled cafes & frozen tundras full of soi reindeer.

28 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Common sense would be to exterminate a few million stray soi dogs.   It's not like they are useful to society.

If karma is an issue, I'd be happy to be the terminator.  Just give me authority to do it.

I'd be happy to be your Karma!

karma.jpg

1 hour ago, SpicyMeatball said:

You belong back in Scandinavia, not Thailand. Go home to your smoke filled cafes & frozen tundras full of soi reindeer.

Stop trolling and flaming.   There are no 'soi' reindeer.   Perhaps it's time to put down the Chang and go to bed.  

Next nasty post gets a suspension.

23 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Those aren't soi dogs.  

So what if they're not literally soi dogs?  Didn't you get the point the poster was trying to make?

Drug addicts aren't useful to society...should we exterminate them as well?

I'm no animal activist but you seem to have no compassion for life...

44 minutes ago, mgthom63 said:

So what if they're not literally soi dogs?  Didn't you get the point the poster was trying to make?

Drug addicts aren't useful to society...should we exterminate them as well?

I'm no animal activist but you seem to have no compassion for life...

I'm not an urbanite.  Where I come from we have wild animals.  I have compassion for life.    But when an animal attacks a human, you shoot it.

This does spring a lot of useful thought,  I don't actually get the point the poster was trying to make no. 

13 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

I'm not an urbanite.  Where I come from we have wild animals.  I have compassion for life.    But when an animal attacks a human, you shoot it.

This does spring a lot of useful thought,  I don't actually get the point the poster was trying to make no. 

I totally understand shooting an animal when it attacks a human without provocation, is rabid or is seen to have a very high likelihood of either. 

But you said "common sense would be to exterminate a few million stray soi dogs"....on the basis that some of them might attack a human?  

As if the human population can't afford to lose a handful of people to this disease. It's hardly going to cause a population collapse.

I would be more concerned about trying to stamp out breading grounds for mosquito's that spread dengue fever than picking on the soi dog population.

1 hour ago, Fish Head Soup said:

As if the human population can't afford to lose a handful of people to this disease. It's hardly going to cause a population collapse.

This is anthropomorphism at its worst. Kill humans not dogs. Please come back to earth, dogs that are not pets are meat, at best. 

As far as pet dogs are concerned if one bites one of my loved ones I request it to be put down, period. For two reasons: the owner is incompetent and the dog is aggressive.

This is anthropomorphism at its worst. Kill humans not dogs. Please come back to earth, dogs that are not pets are meat, at best. 
As far as pet dogs are concerned if one bites one of my loved ones I request it to be put down, period. For two reasons: the owner is incompetent and the dog is aggressive.

More likely you or your loved one antagonized or tortured the dog.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

More likely you or your loved one antagonized or tortured the dog.

"Antagonized", you mean I was guilty of having an unpleasant aftershave? 

"Tortured" is just laughable....

To be more factual, my little one (15 months got bitten) in the market because some mongrel thought her doughnut should be his. Cost us three trips to the local hospital. But on the bright side, my beloved wife has some moderate clout with the authorities, and the strays got removed from the market, my girls are cute and there was no problem to gather support either.

But back to the point, I guess you reckon that a 15 months infant antagonizes and tortures a hungry stray dog by eating a doughnut within his sensorial range?

Hope you can see how ridiculous your claim can be.

Many years ago I remember a rabid dog running wild through a village I was staying in near Khon Kaen. The rest of the village dogs were racing along behind it as it tried to bite chickens and anything else that moved. Villagers locked themselves indoors while men with guns chased the dog and eventually killed it.

My Ex told me she could remember in her childhood rabid people tied to a tree to die in their final days. She said they got over their aquaphobia in the final days and would scream out pleading for water before they died.

it seems everyone has a solution to this,but all your sugestions should be aimed at who is responsible ,first we have a big problem with mosquito's,then there are all the drug addicts,all the bad drivers who don't care a shit if they kill someone,[HOW MANY] now we have a big problem with rabies,has anyone sat down and done anything about it,

NO.and the answer is corruption,so this needs to be exterminated FIRST or NOTHING will change.

12 days ago we lost our beloved husky through parasite disease [we think] so we wanted to do something in his honour,

so the wife found out about a dog shelter not far away,when she got there it is home to over 200dogs,so the wife questioned the owner has your dogs been vaccinated? not one, WHY nobody has been,there so the wife told her to contact the office responsible,so she told the owner TELL THEM as if they don't know already.but as like everything else that needs to be done,ANSWER WE DONT HAVE A BUDGET.as my wife is a community worker for our mooban TODAY she has to notify how many cats and dogs are residents,dogs are no problem,BUT CATS most have no owners although they feed them.i remember back to the early 90's when a certain person started to take action against drug dealers and those responsible for supplying.did it work YES for awhile till those who screamed blue murder.about the way it was done.now dugs and user's are out of control,mosquito's out of control,as for driving NO COMMENT, and the latest RABIES is out of control.SO WHATS THE ANSWER.

Archived