Crackdown on illegal teachers: Police target international schools in "X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" campaign

webfact

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I know people from the UK feel threatened by the number of darker skinned and Muslim people coming to your country. But you guys colonized half the world and ruled with utter brutality in India, Africa, and the Caribbean. Then to ease a guilty conscience,  Britain allowed free immigration from the former colonies. You sew what you reap.

I felt threatened by the number of white Polish and Romanians coming in the country.

Did Britain ever colonize those countries? 

It appears they are racially profiling - there must be hundreds of western teachers working illegally for various private language schools, big and small, why not target them?  

Everybody is targeted, all the bad boys white black and yellow.. blacks are just easier to spot in a crowd,

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Somtamnication said:

Raids based on color, not qualifications. Shame shame shame Thailand!

Congratulations to Thailand for identifying criminals and dealing with them, if they happen to be black, so what?  Do you want them leaving alone because they are black?

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Airbagwill said:

It appears they are racially profiling - there must be hundreds of western teachers working illegally for various private language schools, big and small, why not target them?

They did, westerners are included as the article said.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It wouldn't be racist, if they were devoting equal attention to all the non-black overstayers, illegal enterers and bogus teachers. And there certainly are plenty of those.

But only the blacks are being targeted by the Thai police in these campaigns. There's only one word to call that kind of policing.

Perhaps it is because a higher percentage of them are illegal.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:31 AM, webfact said:

targeting international schools that knowingly aid and abet illegal teachers on their staff.

Good chuck em all out. How about the white skinned guys. Plenty of them out there with fake degrees. Funny though how this is all about teachers and not the corrupt directors of schools.

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Good chuck em all out. How about the white skinned guys. Plenty of them out there with fake degrees. Funny though how this is all about teachers and not the corrupt directors of schools.

Your applying western logic.

Thai logic is if it were not for all the farang teachers applying they wouldn't have employed them.

9 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Your applying western logic.

Thai logic is if it were not for all the farang teachers applying they wouldn't have employed them.

Mmmm! Bit like the old one; you wouldn't have been injured if you weren't in the country. Point is though they have been employed and are knowingly, by the school, working illegally. The school director has broken the law.

On Fri Mar 09 2018 at 5:29 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The bottom line here is:

--If the police were actually doing their job properly, they'd be out arresting ANY teachers/people who are in the country illegally or working without valid work permits -- not just focusing on a subset of that group who happen to be dark skinned. And as everyone here knows, there are plenty of non-colored people who fit into those two categories.

--Targeting people of a particular skin color, who may or may not be more likely than others to commit crimes, is simple racial profiling and racism, no other way about it.

--Perhaps if the police actually did their job and ensured that schools had to hire teachers with legal permission to stay in the country and with valid work permits (not to mention being properly trained as teachers, the latter being outside the police's jurisdiction), then there'd be a better quality of foreign teachers in local schools and the students might just learn more.

The staple of the "got no idea but want to impose my moral high ground" post...

They WILL NOT pay for fully qualified western teachers, no fully qualified teacher is going to come to this xenophobic, insanity on the roads, huge hoops to jump thru to be legal teacher for 30,000 bht a month. The problem doesnt lie with enforcement of out dated laws..the thai know it and turn a blind eye to it, but it also allows them to hold wages down and have a big stick to wield... get educated yourself please

Why operation X-Ray you might ask.. 

well.. they considered going up the alphabet, but..

Operation Zulu was too inappropriate

and the Yankees are pretty much OK

Next time Operation Whisky will take care of the booze problem.

58 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Utter nonsense.

We civilised the known World. We were cruel when necessary, kind and generous in a far larger measure.

Last century, the men and women of the commonwealth gave their lives to protect civilisation, when other 'developed' nations adopted extremist politics or just sat back in cowardice and usury and counted profits.

The World still uses British institutions and methods as the yardstick.

That will never, ever be said of the current US hegemony, even just shortly after it collapses in a few years time. 

I doubt the classification of a australia as terra annulus fits with your facinful idea that the commonwealth was actually the spread of wealth and kindness. Sure there was plenty good. But you only have to read about how many nations boarders were formed with the intention of dividing peoples and forcing others to live inside hostile boarders. It surrounds us now, in the south, with cambo, myanmar...sheesh most of issarn is more lao than central thai.. and a lot of that is to do with the colonial powers carving up the spoils, dutch, spanish, french etc 

14 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I know people from the UK feel threatened by the number of darker skinned and Muslim people coming to your country. But you guys colonized half the world and ruled with utter brutality in India, Africa, and the Caribbean. Then to ease a guilty conscience,  Britain allowed free immigration from the former colonies. You sew what you reap.

It wasn't through a guilty conscience but the necessity to fill labour requirements.

I applaud it. Schools should be called out as well. In addition to the drugs, overstay and other crimminaity I wonder how many have no degree or one that does not show up on the TCTs list?

Why does Thailand admit Africans? They are not tourists. Even So Africans come to work not play. They are broke and future is hopeless.

Problem solved.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:22 PM, trianglechoke said:

How do africans even get into an international lel alone illegally?

I know actually. A Nigerian  scum bucket I worked with, salary 150,000 a month, offered the school admin 30,000 a month...... he kept the job, she got richer and he ended boning her as a bonus!

I would be really interested in knowing about the school's name, can pm?  i can't seem to believe non natives of darker shades making that much!!!

On 3/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, duanebigsby said:

Students with colds are required to wear masks to school as well as government workers. They grow up with the idea that if they have a cold, wear a mask.

Except that masks don't help much to reduce transmission of a cold or flu and how can you breathe properly with the reduced oxygen you're getting while wearing a mask all day. The best thing for a sick student to do is stay home! How hard can that be. Ditto for employees of any kind.

22 hours ago, Christopherabhadra said:

I would be really interested in knowing about the school's name, can pm?  i can't seem to believe non natives of darker shades making that much!!!

Filipino female with fake diplomas and lack of English knowledge earns here 30 000. Hard to believe an African can earn 30.000 but this is Thailand. Everything is possible and its opposite too.

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

No thank you, if it's all the same with you. You see it is my home! One of the reasons I rather like living here is that most of the locals are quite tolerant, and dare I say liberal!

You mean to say they are self-hating and wish to see themselves replaced with foreigners, hate everything that is Thai, take the moral high ground on every issue while doing nothing about it? Glad to know in all my interactions with Thais only the tiniest percentage of people fit into that category. The few that do are generally graduates of ultra liberal colleges in the west, may have studied journalism or something like that and now work for organisations that are western funded and have an agenda to boot.

Not sure what your definition of "tolerant" is, but nearly all Thais I know are very tolerant too but they still love their country and why shouldn't they?

Talking about the police doing their jobs is a bit of a side issue. The big problem is immigration clearly in cahoots with language schools. 

I spent several months teaching in Thailand. I'm an experienced teacher with all the necessary documents and requirements to procure a visa. But for some bizarre reason, depite being assured I would have one before i even started work, I was continually border hopping every 14 days for almost 4 months. Continual requests to my agency to have the docs ready for my visa led nowhere until I told them I was leaving for China. Almost immediately signatures were found (the big stumbling block apparently), documents were ready and i could process my visa. Unfortunately it was too late. 

It's rather clear that it's in the interests of agencies to keep their employees on temporary visas for as long as possible. You are dependent upon them to finalize your visa, whilst simultaneously at their beckon call regarding your legal right to work and any issues you may face. 

And this is where immigration clearly is in league with this nonsense. Despite the fact i was obviously working and border hopping for three months every 14 days, not once did anyone deign to ask me what the hell i was doing? It would be absolutely inexplicable to do this in China, Japan or Korea more than twice. Until immigration actually enforces the law, language schools will continue to exploit the law and drag their feet on visas. 

So hopefully this also helps answers part of the question why teachers are sometimes on tourist visas. You put up with it because a) you're lied to. and b.) inertia on the part of your employer to get shit done. 

19 hours ago, jimster said:

Except that masks don't help much to reduce transmission of a cold or flu and how can you breathe properly with the reduced oxygen you're getting while wearing a mask all day. The best thing for a sick student to do is stay home! How hard can that be. Ditto for employees of any kind.

That's what masks are for, they PREVENT droplets from entering the air.

Archived