Top idea! Pedestrians should photograph motorists stopping at zebra crossings as campaign kicks off!

webfact

How wrong such a belief is here - and it could cost an innocent visitor his life (especially from whizzing motorbikes, who are a law unto themselves) ...

It already has cost some tourists lifes
I remember a German couple got run down in BKK made the news but must be countless other near misses and bad collisions every day.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, akirasan said:

Encourage people to stand in the middle of the road with traffic whizzing past while they pull out their cell phone, open the camera and take a photo?

They think this is a top idea?  Can I have some of what Dr Siripanichis is smoking please?

Incredible, truly incredible.

This is up there with one of the best things I have ever read from the Thai Ministry. 

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

ONLY IN THAILAND  they should photograph motorists * NOT * STOPPING at crossings, want to try that again, ha ha, nah !! dont bother, you will end up on the bonnet of a vehicle, or much worse, get killed.

you did not get it. Those that are not reported will be automatically fined !!

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

It just goes to show how few actually stop at zebra crossings. I may stop if there are no cars behind me. You know why.

EXACTLY!!!

After seeing all those accidents from stupid drivers who don't know how to stop or even drive, gotta look behind your shoulders to stop ANYWHERE.

Also, why don't they take photos of motorcycles that DON'T STOP instead of people who do?

Thailand again is thinking Backwards.... <deleted>?

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Don't expect too many photos... 

Is absolutely every person in this country completely retarded? How do they get jobs?!

An effective, and proven, way to encourage good driving behaviour is to FINE, PUNISH and TAKE AWAY driver's licences of those motorists who don't obey the rules of the road! It works really well in other countries.

Other country's have actual policing?

then what..waste the day taking to police who don't give a flying <deleted>...do these corrupt politicians and police really think we buy these foolish brainfarts they come up with...

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Don't expect too many photos... 

Is absolutely every person in this country completely retarded? How do they get jobs?!

An effective, and proven, way to encourage good driving behaviour is to FINE, PUNISH and TAKE AWAY driver's licences of those motorists who don't obey the rules of the road! It works really well in other countries.

As Djayz said, only penalty's work. 

Look at other countries.

His idea is just stupid.

Ah, don't knock these guys. They had an idea! Maybe for the first time ever. Birthing an idea can be traumatizing and shocking to the nervous system. And this was a collective effort, so the risk is much greater.

I will take my hat off to these fellows who brought us an idea at considerable personal risk.

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I used to slow down & stop at zebra crossings but my b/f would always shout at me to accelerate because the vehicles behind us would smash into us ...

Fortunately, if this happens.  Whomever is in the rear is at fault according to the police, regardless of the situation.  The vehicle in the rear did not stop to prevent the accident.

There is a story - possibly apocryphal, but knowing Thailand, more likely to be true - that many years ago some Thai minister or other travelled to the West and saw these pretty zebra crossing things on the roads and thought they would look nice in Thailand. He introduced them - but never told anyone what they actually were for, so no one ever really knew!

All I can say is that I will never forget how, in my first month in Thailand, a policeman one day came running out of his booth in BKK shouting and gesticulating at me because I was walking across a zebra crossing (no cars were in sight). I said: 'This is a zebra crossing. I have right of way.' The policeman said: 'No! Light is red!' He genuinely thought that, legally, zebra crossings could not be used if a red traffic light was showing. He had no concept of pedestrian right of way on a zebra crossing - the whole point of the thing!

Says it all, really. 

15 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Words fail me at this brilliant idea. Here is the video of horiffic accident that happened yesterday on zebra crossing and left a Russian tourist dead. I guess you have to be alive to take pictures. 

Did you bother to watch the vid? russian dude was in the wrong here.What lunatic anywhere runs across a zebra crossing WITHOUT even looking!!! and it appears to be at a set of lights with green light in both directions.. regardless of the rules that was an incredibility dumb move and payed for it with his life. I wouldn't try that in the west let alone here

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Whatever the system doesn't one have to wait for the traffic to stop? Before crossing.  

No. In England, as soon as a pedestrian steps out onto a zebra crossing, the traffic MUST, by law. stop. Of course, most of us were still sensible - but in essence, that principle of compulsory stopping by oncoming traffic to give the pedestrian right of way always applied.

In Thailand generally, there are no 'principles': such abstract concepts are very difficult for many Thais (especially of the 'official' variety) to get their head around.

29 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Fortunately, if this happens.  Whomever is in the rear is at fault according to the police, regardless of the situation.  The vehicle in the rear did not stop to prevent the accident.

Thank you. That's quite reassuring as I sit in my Mazda 3 watching in my rear vision mirror as a large truck approaches at speed ...

7 hours ago, markytarky said:

Zebra crossings on Thai roads are nothing more than a waste of paint. 

Nope they are extremely useful. They make it easier to see the blood after hitting a pedestrian.

26 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Did you bother to watch the vid? russian dude was in the wrong here.What lunatic anywhere runs across a zebra crossing WITHOUT even looking!!! and it appears to be at a set of lights with green light in both directions.. regardless of the rules that was an incredibility dumb move and payed for it with his life. I wouldn't try that in the west let alone here

Sorry, my eye site fails me here. I can't see any green or any other color of lights.

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I used to slow down & stop at zebra crossings but my b/f would always shout at me to accelerate because the vehicles behind us would smash into us ...

Ah, backseat drivers! The bane of road safety.

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

Words fail me at this brilliant idea. Here is the video of horiffic accident that happened yesterday on zebra crossing and left a Russian tourist dead. I guess you have to be alive to take pictures. 

My wife says this was on the "Zebra crossing" outside the Ambassador City Hotel in Na-Jomtien

there is a never operational traffic light there,  often the police have to stop the traffic to let anyone cross the road it is a very very dangerous  road.

There should not be a zebra crossing there giving people a false sense of security.

R.I.P to the poor tourist  who is not the first  a few years ago a Russian mother  ran out and pushed her child to safety only to be killed herself on the very same junction. 

Stopped at the red traffic lights junction Sukhumvit Road just by Numchai Pattaya.Fully stopped, car comes up and rear ends me.As my car was a rental called the insurance company,assessor arrives finds out the following.The other driver has borrowed the car,and no he does not have a licence.Frantic phone calls from him to the owner, who arrives 30 mins later.Surprise surprise, he has no insurance.10 mins later the assessor tells me his insurance company has just had a call from the owner,trying to buy insurance!Lot of negotiations between insurance guy and owner, insurance want 10,000 baht to repair damage, owner says has has no money, assessor settles for 2000.(non licence driver then drives away still uninsured)All this time two police men, who would have seen the accident, just stood about 50 yards away doing <deleted> all.

31 minutes ago, johng said:

Zebra crossings here are not safe !!!     here video evidence

Unbelievable, then again, the average Thai has the IQ the same as their shoe size. I'll be kind and say European shoe sizes, not UK/US sizes...

Archived