Top idea! Pedestrians should photograph motorists stopping at zebra crossings as campaign kicks off!

webfact

1 minute ago, merlin2002 said:

The average Thai has the IQ the same as their shoe size

if so ( I wouldn't entirely agree ) then shouldn't  these "zebra crossings" be made  "idiot proof"  or be completely removed to avoid creating a false sense of security for everyone  low,average or hi Q

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, CeeGee said:

Stopped at the red traffic lights junction Sukhumvit Road just by Numchai Pattaya.Fully stopped, car comes up and rear ends me.As my car was a rental called the insurance company,assessor arrives finds out the following.The other driver has borrowed the car,and no he does not have a licence.Frantic phone calls from him to the owner, who arrives 30 mins later.Surprise surprise, he has no insurance.10 mins later the assessor tells me his insurance company has just had a call from the owner,trying to buy insurance!Lot of negotiations between insurance guy and owner, insurance want 10,000 baht to repair damage, owner says has has no money, assessor settles for 2000.(non licence driver then drives away still uninsured)All this time two police men, who would have seen the accident, just stood about 50 yards away doing <deleted> all.

Stop telling lies,  They were playing face book and Line. :smile:

It's dangerous in Thailand to stop for pedestrians at a cross walk because cars in adjacent lanes do not stop or even slow down and motorbike riders, in a rush to the barbeque, zipping in between and around cars on either side. Sometimes one is placing the pedestrian in greater danger by stopping.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

In towns just stick down speed bumps, full width so the brain dead on silly little motorbikes can't speed past the  ends of the bumps.

images (1).jpeg

Road bumps???? and what about the emergency vehicles when peoples lives are at stake??

No road bumps at all in any country. Just get the police out to do their jobs and the courts to hammer the speedsters, in any country.

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

Zebra crossings in Thailand are worse than a mere waste of paint (although I agree with Markytarky that they are definitely that too): they are positively lethal for tourists and visitors to Thailand, who will likely believe that zebra crossings mean (as in civilised countries) that the pedestrian has full right of way.

How wrong such a belief is here - and it could cost an innocent visitor his life (especially from whizzing motorbikes, who are a law unto themselves) ...

There should not be zebra crossings at all, they should all be replaced with pedestrian lights, yes. in any country.

4 hours ago, greeneking said:

How about  policemen moved to non-active posts being assigned to each crossing to accompany pedestrians safely across the road.

That would be about 95% of the Thai police, except when tea money is required.:cheesy:

The problem as highlighted in most of that video is because of the traffic free-flowing in some lanes and other lanes at a standstill. You can't actually see the pedestrians until they step into your lane and it's too late for any vichievel going at a reasonable speed as their view of the pedestrians initially walking is blocked by the traffic in the other lanes. The only way this can be solved as said here multiple times is making them have lights so it's much safer for anyone walking. So everyone stops (at least most). 

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

ONLY IN THAILAND  they should photograph motorists * NOT * STOPPING at crossings, want to try that again, ha ha, nah !! dont bother, you will end up on the bonnet of a vehicle, or much worse, get killed.

That would require too many photos whereas taking a photo of those who do stop would only require a hand full.

Best ones are the cars that blast their horn because a person dares cross the road on a crossing.

If traffic light time sequences were shortened it would encourage slower driving practices and better traffic flow, as it is many drivers/ riders feel the need to accelerate when approaching traffic lights because they don’t want to be sitting at a red light for the next 15 minutes or so in the blazing sun. It also gives the pedestrian more opportunities to cross instead of getting fed up with waiting and thinking "I'm gonna have to take a chance and dash across"

11 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Incredible, they prove they have the lowest average IQ in the World on a regular basis. 

You shouldn't have to reward people for being courteous, obeying the law and giving way to pedestrians.

The only way to solve their belligerence and immaturity on the roads is to send them back a generation to the buffalo and cart. 

Yeah an ox cart with an electric motor, an e-oxcart.

ThaiQ ... yet another brilliant example ... but seriously, wouldn't it make more sense to install a (actually working) surveillance cam, with large signage ... and increase the fine for not stopping to a level relative to the crime (dangerous driving or wilful intent to cause bodily harm could be a more accurate description of driving through a zebra crossing when people are attempting to cross) If we are talking "culture" perhaps a campaign targeting more concern for other persons health and welfare might produce better results over the long term. Hitting at the core or foundation of the problem ... would seem to be a reasonably good show of responsible governance.      

This will never work. Who is stupid enough to actually bolt out into the middle of serious traffic, despite evidently having right of way as pedestrian?? For every one that might stop there are ten that will literally run you down. I'm not talking about some large thank, just crossing 15m from sidewalk to sidewalk in front of any BKK mall.

11 hours ago, snoopy21 said:

Absolutely 100% agreed!

555 this has been a favorite saying of mine for years.

Q: Thailand wastes a lot of money, but what is the biggest waste of all?

A: Paint for pedestrian crossings

23 hours ago, akirasan said:

Encourage people to stand in the middle of the road with traffic whizzing past while they pull out their cell phone, open the camera and take a photo?

They think this is a top idea?  Can I have some of what Dr Siripanichis is smoking please?

One picture of the underside of a Ford Ranger and one of a hospital ceiling coming up!

When I first started driving here, 16 years ago, I stopped at a zebra crossing. Motioned for the pedestrian to cross. He or she walked out and nearly got hit by the 2 bikes that went down either side of my car. From then on I have always thought it is more dangerous to be courteous and stop, due to all the other drivers who wont stop and try and pass you, especially on dual lane roads. The pedestrian cant see them coming because my car blocks their view. Have never stopped since. I would love to see this rule enforced but I suspect it will never go anywhere due to their retarded "me first" attitude that almost all Thais get when behind the wheel or handlebars.

17 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Did you bother to watch the vid? russian dude was in the wrong here.What lunatic anywhere runs across a zebra crossing WITHOUT even looking!!! and it appears to be at a set of lights with green light in both directions.. regardless of the rules that was an incredibility dumb move and payed for it with his life. I wouldn't try that in the west let alone here

True. That was just Russian roulette. If he'd just used a little caution as anyone w/ common sense would do anywhere in the world even in England then that accident wouldn't have happened. 

On 3/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, ezflip said:

They will quickly ditch this idea when they discover that only foreign drivers are the only ones stopping at zebra crossings.

Most, not all, but most Thais have no idea why these white lines are painted on their roads. All of this is based on the presumption that Thais have gone to driving school and have learned this particular law of the road.

Wrong. Most Thais know what they are for it just that the "Me First" syndrome takes precedent and they get get ignored.

Archived