French man busted for working without a permit

Rimmer

French man busted for working without a permit

image.png

PATTAYA:--A Frenchman was arrested for illegally running a property-management business out of his Jomtien Beach condo.

Neighbors at the View Talay 7 tower called immigration police after realizing Eric Edouard Louis Gregoire, 44, was operating MG Pong Ltd. with no Thai staff.

Gregoire was brought to the Chonburi Immigration Office where he told conflicting accounts of what he was up to. He was accused of hawking condos in Thailand without a work permit and now faces deportation.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-03-09

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JOC said:

The illegals are just making fools of people abiding by the law...

It is immigration that are making 'fools of people abiding by the law' by selling extensions under the table. 

15 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Time to make it legal for foreigners on long stay to work in Thailand.

It is all but that effectively now.  If you have an ounce of gumption and drive, do not live in Thailand.  You are far better treated in nearby countries.

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Depending on your long stay status, it is possible to obtain a work permit. 

So long as its a job on a very narrow list and, you are not doing something a Thai can do, as in this case.

36 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

It is immigration that are making 'fools of people abiding by the law' by selling extensions under the table. 

I easily abide by the law in getting my annual extension. 

If someone else has to pay a substantial amount and then spend his time here looking over his shoulder, that doesn't make me feel foolish. Quite the opposite.

2 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

So long as its a job on a very narrow list and, you are not doing something a Thai can do, as in this case.

And as long as the company is willing to go through the process which usually is a turn-off.

3 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Well yes, you can't seriously expect the Thai government to throw open the borders and let everyone who is unemployable in his own country take employment away from its own citizens. One of the main responsibilities of any government is look after its own citizens.

29 minutes ago, kotsak said:

And as long as the company is willing to go through the process which usually is a turn-off.

I would think arrest and deportation would be an even bigger turn off. Guess this Frenchman will find out.

39 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Well yes, you can't seriously expect the Thai government to throw open the borders and let everyone who is unemployable in his own country take employment away from its own citizens. One of the main responsibilities of any government is look after its own citizens.

Very true and something that most western governments seem to have forgotten

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Sooner or later when you work illegally (clearly illegally since the business is in Thailand) -- that immigration will eventually find out and come for you. 

That may be partly true in heavily touristed parts of Thailand, but not necessarily true elsewhere.  

I worked as a self-employed real estate agent in Thailand between 2004 and 2008.  Here are some recollections:

>>> Not before, during or since, have there been any bone fide real estate businesses in my area of Thailand.

>>>  Banks used to have bulletin boards in their lobbies showing listings of defaulted properties for sale.  I now longer see them.  Recently, I asked a bank worker, and was told in hushed tones that there may be a way to see listings.  It was as though I was asking about buying contraband.  I think the real reason is rich Thais want to continue to corner the property market - the the less that regular people know about, the better for rich people.

>>>  The few Thai realtors that I've known, all jack up asking prices. If there's a sale, the agent gets the 3% commission AND the gravy skimmed off the top.  Farang agents usually won't cheat buyers like that.  I didn't.

>>>   All my clients were farang, though most had Thai wives or g.f's with them.  I've heard that Thai clients - if they see a property they like, will clandestinely return later, find the seller, and thereby skip paying the commission to the agent who first showed them the property.  Sly MF's, aren't they?

>>>   The only time I got stiffed on a commission, was by a seller who was a former Thai Cabinet member.

>>>   Actually another time, when a Thai g.f. of a farang client, skirted around me (I had shown them the same property 3 times), and found the seller.  I missed out of Bt.240,000 commission.

>>>   My Thai partner cheated my out of commission several times.  That's why I got out of the biz.

In sum:  it's tough being a real estate agent in Thailand.  The nicer you are, the more you get ripped off.  In order to be successful, you've got to be as tenacious and aggressive as a wild dog, while assuming everyone is going to try and rip you off, ....just as surely as every Thai, when they make an offer on a property, always undercut the asking price.  It happens 100% of the time, even when they haven't seen the property or its description.

4 hours ago, jumbo said:

Nice neighbors...

Neighborhood Watch, it's called back home, a worthwhile program that allows a fed-up public to support law enforcement efforts. Of course when Thais do it here to farangs, it's immoral, disgusting, indicative of a backward culture.

I'll take these neighbors any day before many of the barfing, bar-brawling, drunken, tattooed caps-on-backwards knuckle-dragging farangs I've run into.

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

Time to make it legal for foreigners on long stay to work in Thailand.

Why?

If they wanted foreigners on long stay to work in LOS they'd be doing so already.

Marriage extension and work visa already allow foreigners to work here.

Next thing, foreigners will want to be allowed to buy land here or something like that.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It is all but that effectively now.  If you have an ounce of gumption and drive, do not live in Thailand.  You are far better treated in nearby countries.

???? And why you live here then???? 

Archived