French man busted for working without a permit

Rimmer

3 hours ago, Muggi1968 said:

No it is leagal. My companies lawyer talked to the labour department who wrote into the WP that I where given an exemption from the 4-1 rule.

The argument the labour department accepted, was that since I am married to a Thai woman, it is my duty to support her and her family (since I am a man).

Further he claimed the family de-facto law is the most important law in TH and that any court would grant me a WP since I need to support my family

It does not need to to be so difficult to live here.

P.s

We only need 1 more Thai since our Marketing manager (Woman from Isan) ran off with a LOT of money so we will soon be over the limit again...

So, as said you are technically breaking the law and if someone complains they will have to go through everything and a different less well-paid official might give a completely different ruling.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

The fact is the system is archaic and decrepit and the only way Thailand can get foreigners to set up small businesses and the like is to bend the rules. 

how do you conclude this?  I setup two companies in Thailand properly. Never had any problems, actually several govt ministries were very helpful with the development of new products. 

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Playing days or bridge is not against the law. In fact the royal Bangkok shorts club has a bridge room.

correct the reason they were arrested was because they were using cards that did not have tax stamps on them. Stupid we all know, but TIT!

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

how do you conclude this?  I setup two companies in Thailand properly. Never had any problems, actually several govt ministries were very helpful with the development of new products. 

Most people are setting up sole trader operations and employ agents to "get round" the visa and WP regulations.

They have no idea of the location specific or work limitations of their WPs.....just so long as they have a government stamp on something.

I have worked legally hwere for nearly 20 years including BOI and am perpetually encountering people with stinky and tenuous paperwork.

Just because you think you are legal it doesn't follow you actually are.

I meet people time and again who think the "fees" for WPs are tens of thousands of baht and have no idea what that money was really for.

I've met people without capital who have had against put it in banks for them.... or at least provided "proof", companies with "ghost" Thai directors and fake addresses.

The fact is that there is a whole industry being "helpful" to foreigners setting up a "legal" business...

As enforcement is actually nearer to a lottery than the law I don't see this ending any time soon.

However it does mean that many foreigners businesses are knowingly or unknowingly built on sand.

8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

However it does mean that many foreigners businesses are knowingly or unknowingly built on sand.

This "many" is your backpedaled position with added enjoyment of spreading of FUD. The original was ALL, as it's impossible otherwise:

On 3/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, Airbagwill said:

the only way Thailand can get foreigners to set up small businesses and the like is to bend the rules. This unfortunately helps those who don't mind bending rules but filters out good honest and qualified candidates who want to go by the book.

Seems you've merely fallen victim to the toupee fallacy.

It's only trivial and common knowledge that SOME foreigners here do have dodgy companies and some Thai services exist for the purpose of facilitating them. Same w/ visas, as is again common knowledge. The use of companies to buy real estate has been debated ad nauseam w/ trolls spreading FUD.

So I think we've all got your point, such as it was, by now and your original point has been easily refuted w/ a couple of examples. Nobody's falling for the FUD. Are we done?

I suspect many people in business in Thailand are unaware of how shaky the various permissions are for there businesses. All it takes is for a change in policy, a new broom or a local who doesn't like you and the legal framework of a business can be picked apart in a moment. Those who give can just as e4asily take away.

Judging by some of the comments here it hasn't even occurred to some how shaky their business might be. Just asking for criticism to go away, or clasping at straws and splitting hairs doesn't address the reality or alter the unpleasant truths.

Once immigration and DoL get it into their heads that so many people are working illegally in places like Phuket and Pattaya, it only takes one nabob to emerge from his office with a "new idea" and the whole pack of cards could come tumbling down.

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I suspect many people in business in Thailand are unaware of how shaky the various permissions are for there businesses. All it takes is for a change in policy, a new broom or a local who doesn't like you and the legal framework of a business can be picked apart in a moment. THose who give can just as e4asily take away.

Once immigration and DoL get it into their heads that so many people are working illegally in places like Phuket and Pattaya, it only takes one nabob to emerge from his office with a "new idea" and the whole pack of cards could come tumbling down.

Those farangs in business legally am sure are aware of possible future problems, but they are only "possible" future problems, same as us residing in LOS. If we were all that "scared" we would not be here..

I think we all know farangs down south have dodgy businesses who get away with it because of "payments", but that is the risk both sides want to take, up to them..

40 minutes ago, ericthai said:

My company and work permit is 100% legal, we are BOI and employ over 100 Thais. 

So? It doesn't detract one iota from the points I've made. In fact, it only supports my argument.

I wonder why you are so defensive.

12 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

So? It doesn't detract one iota from the points I've made. In fact, it only supports my argument.

Maybe because you keep trolling the topic trying to spread FUD?

6 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

not being defensive,  just stating a fact that our company is 100% legal. 

On 3/9/2018 at 1:40 PM, Suradit69 said:

Well yes, you can't seriously expect the Thai government to throw open the borders and let everyone who is unemployable in his own country take employment away from its own citizens. One of the main responsibilities of any government is look after its own citizens.

Not the uk government it isn't. You would be classed as racist and prosecuted if you didn't allow a foreigner to start a business especially if they were Moslem. 

You dont need to be Einstein to work out who dobbed the guy in...there are legit(I think) real estate agents on the ground floor of VT7,i have my own thoughts,but i dont speak German...he should have known that he couldn't fart in there without being found out lol.

FUD?  IS that cozy beach?  <deleted> Can people please stop using TLA. In this, instance the, frog had no Mafia paying the real Mafia unlike the pratumnak Mafia wbo are well connected, and, pay good, money for good protection to receive immunity from the law. In a Mafia town accept the rule of law...dont go solo.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 7:35 AM, boomerangutang said:

That may be partly true in heavily touristed parts of Thailand, but not necessarily true elsewhere.  

I worked as a self-employed real estate agent in Thailand between 2004 and 2008.  Here are some recollections:

>>> Not before, during or since, have there been any bone fide real estate businesses in my area of Thailand.

>>>  Banks used to have bulletin boards in their lobbies showing listings of defaulted properties for sale.  I now longer see them.  Recently, I asked a bank worker, and was told in hushed tones that there may be a way to see listings.  It was as though I was asking about buying contraband.  I think the real reason is rich Thais want to continue to corner the property market - the the less that regular people know about, the better for rich people.

>>>  The few Thai realtors that I've known, all jack up asking prices. If there's a sale, the agent gets the 3% commission AND the gravy skimmed off the top.  Farang agents usually won't cheat buyers like that.  I didn't.

>>>   All my clients were farang, though most had Thai wives or g.f's with them.  I've heard that Thai clients - if they see a property they like, will clandestinely return later, find the seller, and thereby skip paying the commission to the agent who first showed them the property.  Sly MF's, aren't they?

>>>   The only time I got stiffed on a commission, was by a seller who was a former Thai Cabinet member.

>>>   Actually another time, when a Thai g.f. of a farang client, skirted around me (I had shown them the same property 3 times), and found the seller.  I missed out of Bt.240,000 commission.

>>>   My Thai partner cheated my out of commission several times.  That's why I got out of the biz.

In sum:  it's tough being a real estate agent in Thailand.  The nicer you are, the more you get ripped off.  In order to be successful, you've got to be as tenacious and aggressive as a wild dog, while assuming everyone is going to try and rip you off, ....just as surely as every Thai, when they make an offer on a property, always undercut the asking price.  It happens 100% of the time, even when they haven't seen the property or its description.

So to sum up. you were working illegally but that's alright because there were no "bona fide" travel agents in your area.

The Thai banks conspired against you by hiding the lists from you whilst making them available to rich thais

All Thai agents are only out to rip people off but all the farang agents are 100% honest and aren't interested in making maximum profit for themselves.

You were only done of commission once (apart from all the other times) and that was only because a Thai female skirted around you which caused you to lose out on 240k.

Your Thai partner cheated you out of commissions several times so you decided to pack in the business but stuck with you partner.

And finally the whole agent think didn't work out for you because your just too nice ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 1:16 PM, saakura said:

pay tax as others do.

because as we know ALL Thais pay tax right ?? hahahahahahahahah

When my Wife worked for a company she used to tell me of the times the "Taxman" would come to the company and how they all then went out for a slap up meal to "ease the burden". Even the taxman here is corrupt.

Archived