Experience Certifying Translations at MoFA (March18)

I've this week been through the process of certifying Translations of documents at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I thought I'd share this with the board as it might be useful to others. 

This experience is dated March 2018.

Documents Translated and Certified:

Certified True Copy of Marriage Certificate (Married in Singapore 2004) (2 Copies)

Certified True Copy of US Passport (Current passport)

Certified True Copy of US Passport (Expired passport referenced on our marriage certificate)

Affidavit (Statement regarding marriage, where, linking passports and confirming we are still married). (2 copies)

Total 6 documents.

Obtaining Certified True Copies (Signapore Embassy)

• We obtained a certified copy of our marriage certificate at the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok, no appointment needed. I first called the embassy Consular Services to confirm the procedure. 
  • We visited the consular services section at 9:30 am, bringing with us our original marriage certificate and four colour copies we had already made (as instructed by the embassy staff when I called). 
  • We paid Bht120 per copy for the certification. 
  • We collected the documents four hours later from the Singapore Embassy.
  • Take a large envelope with you to keep the Certified Copies clean.

Obtaining Certified True Copies and Affidavit (US Embassy Embassy)

This requires a little more planning because you need to book an appointment in advance (It seems at least a week in advance so do not leave this to the last minute).

The US Embassy website does not providing any statement that Certified True Copies of passports are available, but there is a price for this service in the website's schedule of fees. I wrote to the American Consular Services email address (on the website), they confirmed the process for obtaining a certified copy of a passport it went as follows:

• I made an appointment for Notorial Services (on the website this will state 1 service, 'Notorial Services Not Listed Above').
  • The embassy website does not have a specific Affidavit to address marital status, I made a statement on the General Affidavit pro forma, available on the US Embassy website.
  • I arrived 10 minutes early for my appointment. People who arrived more than 15 minutes early were made to wait outside on Wireless Road until within 15 minutes of their appointment. 
  • Don't bring anything other than your documents, your wallet/credit cards/cash with you. You will have to check your mobile phone/ipad at the security gate.
  • Note only the US Citizen swearing the documents will be allowed to enter.
  • I checked in at the ACS Desk and handed them: My current passport, my expired passport and the completed (but not signed) Affidavit and explained I wanted Certified True copies of each passport and to swear the Affidavit. I was concerned that I might not be able to obtain a certified copy of my expired passport (this document is referenced on my marriage certificate) but the Embassy Staff were happy to provide a copy.
  • Note, the Embassy makes their own copies of the documents then stamps and signs them as Certified True Copies (They do not certify copies you have made).
  • I paid the fee at the cashier desk (50 dollars per document!) 
  • I took a seat and within an hour I was called to swear the documents. 

In and out of the US Embassy within 2 hours. (Although I had allocated a whole day for this)

Translating and and Certifying Documents at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Watthana).

• We arrived at the MoFA at 9am and accepted the translation services offered by one of the very many translation company reps. We agreed a price of Bht1600 for six documents:
  • The rep photographed our documents and then (encouragingly) asked us to write out our names in Thai script to ensure that they were spelled correctly - he agreed any corrections there after were free to us (There were no corrections necessary).
  • He took our number, took our Bht1600 and promised a turn around inside 2 hours. One and a half hours later he handed us the translations and waited while we thoroughly checked them, telling us if we have any problems give him a call. 
  • I took the translations to the 'check-in desk' on the top floor (perhaps 11:30am), they checked the documents, the clerk gave me a ticket number (E-Number) and directed me to the waiting area.
  • First port of call was a side office with the supervisors to check my documents, the only question they asked was why did I need a certified copy of an expired passport - once explained, I was directed back to the waiting area.
  • 2 hours later my number was called and I handed the documents at the desk to which I had been directed, I was asked to pay Bht 2400 for the certification service of 6 documents, I was given a receipt with a number in the top right hand corner and a Thai Geruda Emblem at the top centre. It is essential that you keep this receipt.
  • Note the certification of translations of True Copies from Embassies takes three days, the day you deliver the document, plus one day then plus the day you collect. This is not a same day service. A point I confirmed with the supervisors before leaving.
  • Collection was easy. We went back on the third day, arrived at 11:00am, handed the receipt to the check in desk on the top floor, the clerk gave me a number and told me to take a seat. 10 minutes later I was called up to a counter, handed over the receipt and collected my documents + the receipt. Important, you must keep the receipt as we found out when we went to register for our Khor Ror 22.

My advice, if you have to first obtain Certified True Copies that then need to be translated and Certified at the MoFA, allocate one full week for this task.