23 foreigners arrested for drug offences on Thai party island

rooster59

23 foreigners arrested for drug offences on Thai party island

drugs1.JPG

Image: Daily News

23 foreigners and 4 Thai nationals have been arrested for drug offences following a series of raids on Koh Phayam in Ranong province.

Koh Phayam is one of the lesser known Thai islands but officials have said it has become a haven for drug taking foreigners as marijuana and amphetamines are readily available on sale at local bars.

On Saturday 9th March, a team of 50 officers from Ranong Police, Tourist Police, military and district officials raided bars across the island.

27 people who were tested at the scene were arrested after failing drug tests for marijuana and amphetamines.

Further tests carried out later at Ranong hospital confirmed the presence of drugs in their system.

All those arrested were taken to Ranong Police Station.

Police said they will continue to crackdown on the illegal drug trade on Koh Phayam.

drugs3.JPG

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-11

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is immoral. By all means arrest drug pushers who sell to kids, the vulnerable, and those who steal and rob to pay for their drugs.

However arresting people for having drugs in their system is simply not in the public interest (unless those are operating vehicles or dangerous / complex machinery).

I can't see the harm in people smoking a bit of weed or taking some tablets at a party at all. 

These cops would be better assigned elsewhere seeking real criminals 

30 minutes ago, z42 said:

I can't see the harm in people smoking a bit of weed or taking some tablets at a party at all. 

What you perceive as harm and what the law says are two different things, and Thai law trumps your view.

"real criminals" you mean people who are breaking the law? You know, like people who are taking drugs that are illegal here.

"Koh Phayam is one of the lesser known Thai islands but officials have said it has become a haven for drug taking foreigners as marijuana and amphetamines are readily available on sale at local bars.

Police said they will continue to crackdown on the illegal drug trade on Koh Phayam."

To continue the crackdown, means that the crackdown was already ongoing!  Had that been the case, marijuana and amphetamines would not have been readily available on sale at local bars!

They'll have to find a new word; this "Crackdown" crap just isn't working!

If drugs are a problem they want to stop, cracking down on the supply, the bars where "pot and speed are readily available" would be the place to start. 

Allowing bars to sell the drugs and only arresting the users  is just maintaining a constant source of revenue for the police. 

Hardly a party island but this was bound to happen. Pseudo Thai hippies opening beach side bars and jungle bars by squatting on land and putting up ramshackle premises offering ganja and meth. Boom Boom bass techno "music" keeping people up late. The island had a very laid back relaxing atmosphere but as elsewhere in Thailand, the unstoppable march of "progress" takes place and it will soon be another concrete jungle.

46 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Readily available at local bars ,sold and supplied by locals.Why the Police allowed it in the first place? 

Readily available at local bars ,sold and supplied by local Police, allowed it in the first place? 

Sorted that out for you :)

3 hours ago, z42 said:

This is immoral. By all means arrest drug pushers who sell to kids, the vulnerable, and those who steal and rob to pay for their drugs.

However arresting people for having drugs in their system is simply not in the public interest (unless those are operating vehicles or dangerous / complex machinery).

I really can't agree. People, locals and tourists have to understand and accept that there are laws against using (not only trading with) drugs in this country and whilst in Thailand they have to abide by such laws. I have to abide by the laws in Saudi Arabia not allowing me to consume alcohol, or my wife swimming , so I don't do it or I don't go there. I think it is up to the authorities to see to it that the laws are abided by, or change the laws.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

In some cases I doubt the police can prove the drugs were even consumed in Thailand.   

43 minutes ago, impishbynature said:

So what if I just arrived on the island from another country and tested positive for something I did while not in Thailand?

Then you have big problems.... !!!

4 hours ago, z42 said:

You moral compass seems somewhat strange. You see nothing wrong with foreigners coming here to consume illegal drugs, which they can't consume in their own countries (probably) and then claim it's immoral when the police actually try to enforce the law!

Pushers and dealers need customers. All are breaking the law. And people who break the law are real criminals. Especially dope heads who come here because they think they can get away with it easier than at home.

4 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"Koh Phayam is one of the lesser known Thai islands but officials have said it has become a haven for drug taking foreigners as marijuana and amphetamines are readily available on sale at local bars.

Police said they will continue to crackdown on the illegal drug trade on Koh Phayam."

To continue the crackdown, means that the crackdown was already ongoing!  Had that been the case, marijuana and amphetamines would not have been readily available on sale at local bars!

They'll have to find a new word; this "Crackdown" crap just isn't working!

Listen you lazy good for nothing police, raid the flecking bars that are selling the drugs and follow the money, oops, that would be you? 

5 hours ago, z42 said:

"I can't see the harm in people smoking a bit of weed or taking some tablets at a party at all".

Druggies rarely can.

"These cops would be better assigned elsewhere seeking real criminals".

You'll find that other officers are assigned to take care of the other real criminals, these are not the only police officers in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, impishbynature said:

So what if I just arrived on the island from another country and tested positive for something I did while not in Thailand?

That’s just another problem with their war on drugs, especially since weed can show up weeks or even months after your last puff in an urine test.

But you’re in Thailand, and the police really doesn’t care about that. If you have anything in your system, you’re guilty in their eyes, and that’s it. But if you’re not carrying any drugs, it’s only a minor offense, I’m not sure if there are any more consequences other than paying a fine.

19 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

But if you’re not carrying any drugs, it’s only a minor offense, I’m not sure if there are any more consequences other than paying a fine.

i think your correct, minor offense if not carrying.  so you'll have two choices, pay the 'fine' within  hours of being detained or spend time in a cell until you get to court for your sentence (your fine amount).  the upfront 'fine' might be 50,000thb (immediately free) and the fine after the stay in a cell and seeing the judge might be as low as 5,000thb.

4 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Allowing bars to sell the drugs and only arresting the users  is just maintaining a constant source of revenue for the police. 

And that is the point of such useless 'crackdowns'!

Just harvest the low hanging fruit.

Archived