23 foreigners arrested for drug offences on Thai party island

rooster59

hours ago, tallfarang said:

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the farangs busted for weed? Are they held in jail, was it a fine and goodbye, and if so how much was the fine? 

image.png.7ad63ff2f2e899a423e88a212353d18d.pngimage.png.00c9b2df019242e86886c81625a31fab.pngOnce it hits the media they have to process the cases. There is no on the spot fine they get charged, get bail, wait for court then maybe a fine. Then deported which means a couple of uncomfortable nights.

People should know by now the countless stories that using drugs in Thailand is simply not worth it. Fine by me, pot heads are annoying, meth heads are disgusting. Drunks are the worst!jZgDhiP.gif

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

image.png.7ad63ff2f2e899a423e88a212353d18d.pngimage.png.00c9b2df019242e86886c81625a31fab.pngOnce it hits the media they have to process the cases. There is no on the spot fine they get charged, get bail, wait for court then maybe a fine. Then deported which means a couple of uncomfortable nights.

People should know by now the countless stories that using drugs in Thailand is simply not worth it. Fine by me, pot heads are annoying, meth heads are disgusting. Drunks are the worst!jZgDhiP.gif

Your life must be very very boring. I hope that you didn't have chance to have kids to annoy them.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, KiChakayan said:

Yes, if you use drugs that are illegal in Thailand just don't come here, "Bad guys out" (Me in).

Who are you to tell to people what to do ? You are nothing and I encourage people to do what they want, just as I do !

The way things are in Thailand:

1) The police profits from the drug dealing, yes they are in cahoots with the dealers and no dealer will operate unless the police collaborates.

2) When they arrest the users (many have been tipped off by their own dealers) the goal is to EXTRACT AS MUCH MONEY FROM THEM AS POSSIBLE (this is easy as people in this situation will do anything to just go, everyone is aware of the terrible conditions of Thai prisons and want to avoid them at all costs)

On 3/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Don Chance said:

Drunks are the worst. Alcohol really makes people the worst possible version of themselves. I have no problems with pot smokers, usually they are quiet people.

2 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Drunks are the worst. Alcohol really makes people the worst possible version of themselves. I have no problems with pot smokers, usually they are quiet people.

Ol' Trans.......:guitar:......when a little.....:drunk:......Folk am sure act differently when a bit.....:burp:.........:stoner:

On 3/11/2018 at 2:05 AM, z42 said:

This is immoral. By all means arrest drug pushers who sell to kids, the vulnerable, and those who steal and rob to pay for their drugs.

However arresting people for having drugs in their system is simply not in the public interest (unless those are operating vehicles or dangerous / complex machinery).

I can't see the harm in people smoking a bit of weed or taking some tablets at a party at all. 

These cops would be better assigned elsewhere seeking real criminals 

"I can't see the harm in people smoking a bit of weed or taking some tablets at a party at all." 

That's what used to be said in liberal circles in the UK. Now look at the state of the place.

Drugs are not only the cause of much serious crime and misery. There is very little as heartbreaking as having a drug addict in the family. You have to eventually bar them from the home they grew up in to stop them from stealing everything of value that is not nailed down.

In poorer countries like the LOS and the PI there is none of the back up like rehab clinics we take for granted in the West. That's why there is so much support for Duterte in the PI. In his real world you have to fight fire with fire.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:32 AM, impishbynature said:

So what if I just arrived on the island from another country and tested positive for something I did while not in Thailand?

But we know the consequences of having drugs in your system when in Thailand so anyone with a a normal degree of common sense wouldn't risk it would they.

But we know the consequences of having drugs in your system when in Thailand so anyone with a a normal degree of common sense wouldn't risk it would they.

I don’t wish to defend drug users and I agree with what you say for people who have been in Thailand for long time but I do understand its kind of a bad deal for tourists who just came here and did not know the rules.

Many places in the US & Canada it is legal to use marijuana so it is possible someone did not break any laws at home and did not break any laws in Thailand and then gets punished with this type of testing to prove guilt.

2 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

I don’t wish to defend drug users and I agree with what you say for people who have been in Thailand for long time but I do understand its kind of a bad deal for tourists who just came here and did not know the rules.

Many places in the US & Canada it is legal to use marijuana so it is possible someone did not break any laws at home and did not break any laws in Thailand and then gets punished with this type of testing to prove guilt.

All people are aware of the international war on drugs especially Americans, Canadians, Britons and Aussies who are only too well informed about stories concerning their fellow countrymen and the notorious Bangkok Hilton.

Even people who don't know where Thailand is know what a visit to the Bangkok Hilton signifies. There have been enough books written about it as well as several films.

All people are aware of the international war on drugs especially Americans, Canadians, Britons and Aussies who are only too well informed about stories concerning their fellow countrymen and the notorious Bangkok Hilton.

Even people who don't know where Thailand is know what a visit to the Bangkok Hilton signifies. There have been enough books written about it as well as several films.

You are not hearing what I am saying.

An American or Canadian can smoke pot legally at home.

One week later they can fly to Thailand and be caught in a surprise sting and fail the drug test and be sent home.

They did not break any law.

They had no idea that this would be allowed since it would never be allowed in a court of law in their home country.

What law do you think they broke?

EDIT:

I am not familiar with the offenses that qualify for a stay at the BH. I would have thought these were people convicted of posession or distribution and not failing a poor quality urine test.

On this topic:

How is this drug test administered?

I would guess its a cheap test process that offers immediate results rather than being sent to a lab for thorough processing with a second sample available to test against a positive result?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just found an old thread that says the urine sample will turn purple if drugs were present.

Then if the result is contested that the sample can be sent to a lab for more specific processing but it is a lengthy wait time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Rubbish.  I've lived in Asia for 40+ years and have been coming to Thailand since I was about 10 years old.  I had no idea what the prisons were like here until I moved here to live 10 years ago.  I also had no idea that the police were corrupt or they'd take a urine test and charge you for something you might have done back home.   Not everyone bothers reading news about other countries when they don't live in said countries, after all if you don't live there what do you care about what goes on there?   Most people probably assume laws are more or less the same everywhere and no-one from the US or Canada would believe you can be drug tested on the street and shaken down for a bribe to avoid jail simply because you smoked some weed a week BEFORE you arrived in Thailand.

There are big changes underway though.  The Highland 420 event on 20th April in Bangkok has already had over 4000 tickets sold or requested.  This is the 5th year and last year there were about 500 tickets sold based on the number of people I saw there.   There is also another 420 event this year in Buriram organised by the guy who owns Buriram race circuit (among other things).    

7 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

You are not hearing what I am saying.

An American or Canadian can smoke pot legally at home.

One week later they can fly to Thailand and be caught in a surprise sting and fail the drug test and be sent home.

They did not break any law.

They had no idea that this would be allowed since it would never be allowed in a court of law in their home country.

What law do you think they broke?

EDIT:

I am not familiar with the offenses that qualify for a stay at the BH. I would have thought these were people convicted of posession or distribution and not failing a poor quality urine test.

I know what you're writing  and understand the theory but it has not happened in real life to my knowledge and probably to no one else's either. 

Admittedly it could hypothetically happen but anyone who smokes gear knows it stays in your system for a considerable time and would be taking a bit of a risk by going to the LOS in such a condition. In such a case they would be better advised to remain in  American or Canada where the nice policemen would let them get out of their heads in peace.

The North American landmass is many times the size of Thailand and there are plenty of places for those who wish to smoke whatever they want without being arrested.

If I were to substitute 'monkey house' for Bangkok Hilton it might be rather more accurate. They are one and the same thing.

Bear in mind when you are in Thailand you will be required to abide by Thai law. Laws that are laid down on the other side of the world in another continent mean absolutely nothing in the LOS.

I know what you're writing  and understand the theory but it has not happened in real life to my knowledge and probably to no one else's either.   

Admittedly it could hypothetically happen but anyone who smokes gear knows it stays in your system for a considerable time and would be taking a bit of a risk by going to the LOS in such a condition. In such a case they would be better advised to remain in  American or Canada where the nice policemen would let them get out of their heads in peace.

The North American landmass is many times the size of Thailand and there are plenty of places for those who wish to smoke whatever they want without being arrested.

If I were to substitute 'monkey house' for Bangkok Hilton it might be rather more accurate. They are one and the same thing.

Bear in mind when you are in Thailand you will be required to abide by Thai law. Laws that are laid down on the other side of the world in another continent mean absolutely nothing in the LOS.

Yeah, I think somehow we are still talking past one another.

I acknowledge what you are saying and I think its great advice. Hopefully farang tourists will read it before they come here. Especially if they are dressed like the rasta dudes in that photo because they may catch the eye of the police ;-)

Just to be clear, I don’t smoke pot or do drugs. I work at a mine and we take drug tests.

But good advice.

5 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Yeah, I think somehow we are still talking past one another.

I acknowledge what you are saying and I think its great advice. Hopefully farang tourists will read it before they come here. Especially if they are dressed like the rasta dudes in that photo because they may catch the eye of the police ????

Just to be clear, I don’t smoke pot or do drugs. I work at a mine and we take drug tests.

But good advice.

You've seen 'em and I've seen 'em. Young falangs who come to Thailand and blatantly smoke Thai grass or sell ecstacy pills and appear to be totally ignorant of the the law or if they're not like to give the impression that they'll defy it anyway.

They are odds on favourites to get away with it but they soon come down to earth with a bump if they get caught.

They soon take notice when you tell them of the risk they're taking or worse still if they actually get arrested. A young man we met spent several days in the cell at Pattaya Police Station till his father sent out the £2000 (100,000 B) demanded by the Plod to secure his release.

Some of these idiots deserve a few days in the hoosegow for their stupidity if nothing else.

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Rubbish.  I've lived in Asia for 40+ years and have been coming to Thailand since I was about 10 years old.  I had no idea what the prisons were like here until I moved here to live 10 years ago.  I also had no idea that the police were corrupt or they'd take a urine test and charge you for something you might have done back home.   Not everyone bothers reading news about other countries when they don't live in said countries, after all if you don't live there what do you care about what goes on there?   Most people probably assume laws are more or less the same everywhere and no-one from the US or Canada would believe you can be drug tested on the street and shaken down for a bribe to avoid jail simply because you smoked some weed a week BEFORE you arrived in Thailand.

There are big changes underway though.  The Highland 420 event on 20th April in Bangkok has already had over 4000 tickets sold or requested.  This is the 5th year and last year there were about 500 tickets sold based on the number of people I saw there.   There is also another 420 event this year in Buriram organised by the guy who owns Buriram race circuit (among other things).    

Well the people you are referring to must be very naive and sound too stupid to be allowed to travel outside their comfort zones let alone to SE Asia.

I'll bet they're also the type of idiots who'll be asking for instructions on how to use a bum gun to clean their back passage after they've had a sh!t.

How about hunting down the powerful mafia families or officials who own, run and benefit from the illegal business and who remain untouched by the law ?whistling.gif&key=2653e2eabcebf06e274e632dccacf5bec8fbbb43a65b57fc7761fee74dbd3506

This makes zero economic sense.

The current system allow an income from the mafia and an income from the silly farangs getting caught and possible an income from the transporters.

And using the arrests of the silly farangs provides measurable and visible efforts are being made to stop the drug trade.

Respectfully, what could possibly be gained with your idea?

On 3/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, ShortTimed said:

This makes zero economic sense.

The current system allow an income from the mafia and an income from the silly farangs getting caught and possible an income from the transporters.

And using the arrests of the silly farangs provides measurable and visible efforts are being made to stop the drug trade.

Respectfully, what could possibly be gained with your idea?

You are very right Sir.

With equal respect, to follow your line of thought, what could a society gain in enforcing honestly the law and making the place safer ?

Archived