Need to get a british passport for my son in Thailand

Hi all try asking same question before but got no response, my son is 16 month old I am British national living and working in England. My son is half thai living with my wife in Thailand, we want to get a British passport but cannot see on the website what documents are required,  would also appreciate any advice on the procedure and how long it will take.  I am back in Thailand in may and wanted to no how many weeks to allow to get this all sorted, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but had no joy with any replies when posted before, any help much appreciated 

As long as you have the documentation (your long-form birth certificate, your wife's ID/passport/birth certificate, your son's translated birth certificate, translated marriage certificate, counter-signed photos of your son, proof of address in Thailand) it's straightforward and should only take a few weeks to process.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Follow the guidance in this document regarding what documentation is needed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

Basically, as a minimum.

2 x Identical Photos of the child - these will need endorsing by somebody qualified to do so, as per the regs.

Child's Birth Certificate.

Your British Passport and the Mother's Thai ID Card

Your Full long version Birth Certificate

The Mother's Birth Certificate.

It would not harm to include your marriage certificate, although it isn't on the list because the child was born after July 2006.

If your son has a Thai passport then you will need to include colour copies of every page of this.

Guidance on applying outside the UK here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564880/OS_Guidance_Notes_10.16.pdf

Application form here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/462278/OS_Form_010.pdf

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

proof of address in Thailand

For a child passport then this is not needed, from the supporting documents guidance then they will (Should) accept the Mother's ID card as proof.

If you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted. The document provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.

• Parents’ identity cards

• Child’s school records

• Medical/hospital records (birth records)

• Mother’s antenatal records

It depends on whether the OP will be resident in Thailand when the application is made.

It differs from an Adult application, in that the child has the right of abode in Thailand.

For a child passport then this is not needed, from the supporting documents guidance then they will (Should) accept the Mother's ID card as proof.

If you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted. The document provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.
• Parents’ identity cards
• Child’s school records
• Medical/hospital records (birth records)
• Mother’s antenatal records

It depends on whether the OP will be resident in Thailand when the application is made.
It differs from an Adult application, in that the child has the right of abode in Thailand.
Thanks. The agent I used recommended including it but maybe he was being over-cautious. My kid's application was complicated because I was born in Africa and only later registered as British.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 11 months later...

Can someone clarify if I can apply for a UK Passport for my son or if his Thai mum has to be one applying.

We are not married and have not registered anything about child responsibility which it says the applicant should have.

Also I do not live in Thailand although I am here at the moment.

I have already had the photo signed and the counter signature has stated that he has known me for 20 years but I now read that it needs to be the applicant which apparently cannot be me as I don't live in Thailand or have parental responsibilities.   

I am reading through 2 years of posts but haven't found the answer yet.

1 minute ago, fishism said:

Anyone know the above? I called the advice line but they said they could not advise and only read the definition of Parental responsibility from their internal document.

Why not just download the application form and apply at Trendy house ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Why not just download the application form and apply at Trendy house ?

I have the form and want to apply at Trendy, but who is applying is not clear, see my post above.

Can me, the unmarried farther apply without parental responsibility?

1 minute ago, fishism said:

I have the form and want to apply at Trendy, but who is applying is not clear, see my post above.

Can me, the unmarried farther apply without parental responsibility?

I think so , as its nothing to do with the mother , 

• 3 weeks later...

Update:
I just received the passport after 2 weeks. I got a notification from dhl so decided to go pick it up even though no notification from the trendy office. It was available for pickup.

I used our bangkok address for the application but didn’t have any proof of address, they suggested having the rental contract sent over and translated, 2 companies said they couldn’t translate same say and it would cost 2500 baht, another company just translated the names and address and stamped it, that was accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just renewed my son's and my passports via Trendy office.

They were applied for on the same day but came back one day apart - took 2 weeks from application until return and ready to collect.

DHL send 3 emails I think along the route to inform me.

The wife went to collect for us both - I prepared and signed a letter of authority for her to collect on our behalf, and she needed photo ID in order to collect.

The whole process went well.

Archived