Salary of Thai police

jackdd

Many people wonder what the people at the Thai police actually earn. There are lists that give indications of public servant salarys, but you never know the real numbers.

While looking for something completely different i stumbled upon a PDF file which includes the actual salary of every policeman with the highest non-commissioned rank "Police Sergeant Major" (this is the one with the double crossed swords) in one of Thailands police devisions.

RTP_OR-9_(Police_Senior_Sergeant_Major)_svg.png.1d41c5fc3965d0d7876e7ee474228858.png

In my experience this rank is quite common for the policeman that stops us to collect tea money.

So thanks to this PDF file, which i won't post, because it should probably not be public (contains for example the real names of everybody), i do now have real numbers

The list contains several hundred persons, all with this rank. The highest salary is 28430THB and the lowest is 25530THB and all others seem to be in between.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The list contains several hundred persons, all with this rank. The highest salary is 28430THB and the lowest is 25530THB and all others seem to be in between.

I did some search in Thai and the salary tables ordered by rank (14? ranks) and seniority (up to 46 years?) are publicly available.

The tables are huge with many steps (probably by seniority).

It just too much for me to find out the details.

But at least you numbers look plausible.

The highest number on such tables is 78030 Baht (936'360 yr).

As I read the deputy PM was about 850'000/yr as a 3 star army general this number also looks plausible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I did some search in Thai and the salary tables ordered by rank (14? ranks) and seniority (up to 46 years?) are publicly available.

The tables are huge with many steps (probably by seniority).

It just too much for me to find out the details.

Yes, i know these tables, but they might get some extras for whatever. The numbers in this PDF seem to be the actual real salary, the header of the column with the numbers is:

อัตราเงินเดือนที่ได้รับ เงินเพิ่มพิเศษ

7 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Incorrect, that is the rank insignia of a ดาบตำรวจ, Police Senior Sergeant Major.

Ok, then wikipedia is wrong, ดาบตำรวจ is the rank that the document is about

Interesting to say the least.

Does it say about them buying their own guns and bullets? 

Uniform etc. 

My wife's friend is a plod in Pattaya and said he started on 14,000 a month. 

Did the above. 

They gave him the bike license and pistol license. 

No training in road law, safety, or human psychology. (ok, stop laughing). 

And the uplines  say when he has to go and reap the quota towards month end.. Ka ching... 

But OK to do. Because the Thai people think that they are doing a good job, and poor salaries. 

So can ask for donations to help. 

And I thought that when a Thai man didn't want to work, he just became a monk. 

Silly me.. 

It is quite plausible that the big boys pay for the positions,  but he would not say anything about it. Haha 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

There is doubtless an enormous range of official benefits - housing, healthcare, insurance, vehicles and the like. And then there is the grey area, which is part of the reason why financial inducements to seniors and connections - family, classmates etc - are so important to get the job in the first place. 

I don't think it's possible for an outsider to do more than estimate roughly what the gross income of any particular rank might be when all such items are included, but some indication could be had by observing the amount of jewellery on the wife or mia noi, the quality of consumer goods owned, the make of car, watch and so on.

Internal investigation branch would have a field day looking at the accounts of many officers. 

Possibly spending and accumulating more than twice the annual salary paid... ?

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Interesting to say the least.

Does it say about them buying their own guns and bullets? 

Uniform etc. 

My wife's friend is a plod in Pattaya and said he started on 14,000 a month. 

Did the above. 

They gave him the bike license and pistol license. 

No training in road law, safety, or human psychology. (ok, stop laughing). 

And the uplines  say when he has to go and reap the quota towards month end.. Ka ching... 

But OK to do. Because the Thai people think that they are doing a good job, and poor salaries. 

So can ask for donations to help. 

And I thought that when a Thai man didn't want to work, he just became a monk. 

Silly me.. 

It is quite plausible that the big boys pay for the positions,  but he would not say anything about it. Haha 

The Big Boys do pay millions of baht for a lucrative place.Rumor allegedly that the top man in Pattaya paid about 20 million baht , but that was quite a while ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

Not just police positions.  My wife's uncle was a teacher when the position of principle came up. He applied, he had to pay over 1 million baht to get the position.  I said to my wife why would he pay so much it will take forever to get it back. She said no, when someone doesn't pass the entry exam test, they pay him a fee and the child gets in. I;m sure other top govt positions are available this way too.

If it wasn't for the likes of us taking the interest in the affairs of the government, it would just go on every day. 

Thai people are not exposed to the graft and corruption as we are. 

They don't fork out for tea money and coca  cola and party money. 

(the local plod comes around for donations to help them with the cost of station parties) 

My German business friend said he does not pay.

His Thai wife says she pays it every month.

Yes,  the one ic in Pattaya paid around that figure based on the expectations of revenue income. 

Even saw a fruit seller hauled away from Klang the other day. 

They loaded his trolley into the new Ford Ranger and took him to revenue collection. 

Municipal officials do this. 

He paid 1200 baht and was back selling later. 

Must have strayed into someone else's pitch. 

Still interested in the guns and bullets. 

Can't recall seeing a Thai copper actually shooting anyone? 

18 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

So as retired expats we must show immigration yearly the amount of a 3-star army general' salary...I get back in my good graces :biggrin:

I think it's common knowledge there are expat retirees living here on considerably less - it's just the declaration obtained from their embassies which say they have more income.

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

Last week I was in the police station paying a fine and the guy asked me how much I earn as a teacher. I asked him how much a month he makes. He said 15k a month

15K/month + 100bht for every scooter rider he stops.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think it's common knowledge there are expat retirees living here on considerably less - it's just the declaration obtained from their embassies which say they have more income.

So the western embassies also accept "inducements"? :sorry:

4 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

25k not enough ? They are just greedy sobs....

Not off topic, but training cadets in Oz start in $57,000.

Do the 18 weeks graduate training course and then move on to what ever they want to hopefully specialize in. 

But they start after graduating on $57,000 aussie. 

Special weapons and the like, take three out of the 100 applications to make sure that they are the right stuff. 

7 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

So the western embassies also accept "inducements"? :sorry:

I’m sure your comment was meant to be tongue in cheek but for the record the Australian Embassy are only certifying the signature on the statutory declaration that one signs attesting to the income received.

No proof is required by the Embassy which I understand is common with other Countries that provide this service certainly the US.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:49 PM, StevieAus said:

I’m sure your comment was meant to be tongue in cheek but for the record the Australian Embassy are only certifying the signature on the statutory declaration that one signs attesting to the income received.

No proof is required by the Embassy which I understand is common with other Countries that provide this service certainly the US.

The penalties for making a false statutory declaration in Australia are quite severe, including jail time. However, it would appear  Australian authorities don't care if a false one is submitted in any other country - only if it is made to an Australian instrumentality.