Has anyone at Jomtien Imigrations office applying for retirement visa extension been asked for this ?

Has anyone at Jomtien Imigrations office applying for retirement visa extension been asked for this ?

" If using your Embassy Letter certifying income, it will need to have a stamp from the Department of Consular Affairs, which is located in Bangkok (this is a new requirement reported as of the end of March 2016 – you may wish to check with Pattaya Immigration to see if it still being required before making a trip to Bangkok to get it). For more information on the requirement, click here and select from “Extension for the Purpose of Retirement or Being the Spouse of the Retiree” contents, then scroll down to the section on “Process for Obtaining Non- Immigrant “O” Visa and then Extending Your Stay.”

Thanks in advance for reading this any any feedback you may be able to provide [emoji120]

USA , and have gotten multiple extensions for years as I renew the retirement visa on time annually but never been asked for this additional stamp on notarized US embassy income document before ? Maybe this is a new requirement and if so wondering if it is something others have been asked for at the Jomtien Imigrations office when renewing their retirement visa's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

The text i quoted when i started the thread was taken from a document i found detailing what was required for retirement visa so that is why i asked the question i will include the link here 

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf 

" If using your Embassy Letter certifying income, it will need to have a stamp from the Department of Consular Affairs, which is located in Bangkok (this is a new requirement reported as of the end of March 2016 – you may wish to check with Pattaya Immigration to see if it still being required before making a trip to Bangkok to get it)."

My friend recently also went for extension last month, and indeed we had read that a stamp from Bangkok consular affaires was needed.. He went to Immigration first to ask, and the answer was.".NO need"..

So without the stamp the extension was permitted smoothly.. 

• Like 1

My friend recently also went for extension last month, and indeed we had read that a stamp from Bangkok consular affaires was needed.. He went to Immigration first to ask, and the answer was.".NO need"..
So without the stamp the extension was permitted smoothly.. 
My thoughts are it needs the embassy seal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only required to appy for a non immigrant visa at immigration. 

Not needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

What you quoted is under this heading.

DOCUMENTATION IF OBTAINING A NON-IMMIGRANT “O” VISA
FROM THAI IMMIGRATION

Correct - the quote from original poster is from an immigration information update page linked from the Pattaya City Expats Club Newsletter - It is located in the section that deals with applying for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa from Pattaya Immigration and is part of the paperwork they send to Bangkok to get approval for the Non-O Visa - after the Visa is issued, the application for an extension of stay for purpose of retirement is processed by a different Desk - A MFA stamp is NOT REQUIRED for obtaining the extension at Pattaya Immigration.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only required to appy for a non immigrant visa at immigration. 

Not needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I have applied since nearly 20 years for extension of non Imm O visa at Pathum Thani Immigration office - until last  year they never asked  that I should submit my affidavit legalised by my Embassy for translation and legalisation at the Consular Department of the MFA Chaengwattana.  But now they insist on this extra procedure which I consider as very normal : indeed the Immigration Department has only a copy of the officer(s) in charge of legalisation at Consular Department of the MFA....while these MFA officers have copies of all the signatures submitted by the  Consular Officer(s) of the Embassies. 

I am an American and I applied for and received my extension of stay based on retirement last month at the Chon Buri (Jomtien) Immigration. They only asked for the "verification of income" form which I got from the American embassy in Bangkok. I have done this for several years now and there did not seem to be any change in the process when I went last month to Chon Buri Immigration. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lumbini said:

applying for retirement visa extension been asked for this ?

It's not a visa extension, it's an extension of (your permission to) stay

20 hours ago, Lumbini said:

“Process for Obtaining Non- Immigrant “O” Visa and then Extending Your Stay.”

This clearly says for obtaining a visa and THEN extending your stay. This is for someone needing to convert to a non-imm O visa entry in order to be eligible to apply for an extension of stay.

The annual extension of stay you get has nothing to do with getting a visa first. If you've been getting extensions annually, then at some point in the past you had a non-imm O visa entry.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Yes not all Immigration Offices follow the same rules..

The O/P was asking about Jomtien and Mazungu was posting about his experience at Jomtien, so what other immigration offices do is not especially relevant in this thread.

Edited by Suradit69

22 hours ago, Lumbini said:

USA , and have gotten multiple extensions for years as I renew the retirement visa on time annually but never been asked for this additional stamp on notarized US embassy income document before ? Maybe this is a new requirement and if so wondering if it is something others have been asked for at the Jomtien Imigrations office when renewing their retirement visa's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Probably just another IO making up his own rules, or bringing out a rule which has not been used for years.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:53 PM, Lumbini said:

The text i quoted when i started the thread was taken from a document i found detailing what was required for retirement visa so that is why i asked the question i will include the link here 

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf 

" If using your Embassy Letter certifying income, it will need to have a stamp from the Department of Consular Affairs, which is located in Bangkok (this is a new requirement reported as of the end of March 2016 – you may wish to check with Pattaya Immigration to see if it still being required before making a trip to Bangkok to get it)."

It perhaps could  be only enforced for Americans who don't need to provide proof of income to the Embassy in order to get a letter. The Embassy trusts them to tell the truth (the whole truth and nothing but the truth)

For most other western countries, they have to provide proof of income in order to get the letter. I am from UK. Can get it by post or now by email but i did not fancy putting details of my Debit Card in an email in order to pay the £52 fee.

I did not need to get this Stamp when i renewed my Retirement on 18th Feb. And they accepted a bill from 3BB as proof of residence (although i had a copy of my lease Document just in case).

Edited by William T

22 hours ago, William T said:

It perhaps could  be only enforced for Americans who don't need to provide proof of income to the Embassy in order to get a letter. The Embassy trusts them to tell the truth (the whole truth and nothing but the truth)

For most other western countries, they have to provide proof of income in order to get the letter. I am from UK. Can get it by post or now by email but i did not fancy putting details of my Debit Card in an email in order to pay the £52 fee.

I did not need to get this Stamp when i renewed my Retirement on 18th Feb. And they accepted a bill from 3BB as proof of residence (although i had a copy of my lease Document just in case).

Proof isn’t required by the Australian Embassy although I understand that last year Thai Immigration attempted to have them require proof,

From the information provided the request was rejected.

On 13/03/2018 at 7:15 PM, William T said:

It perhaps could  be only enforced for Americans who don't need to provide proof of income to the Embassy in order to get a letter.

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Proof isn’t required by the Australian Embassy although I understand that last year Thai Immigration attempted to have them require proof,

From the information provided the request was rejected.

Just to clarify, the stamp from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs merely confirms the veracity of the signature on the Embassy Income Letter. They check it v. a list they hold on file. It has nothing to do with the proof, if any, you provided to your Embassy to get the letter in the first place. Whether the stamp is required seems to depend on which Immigration Office you apply to, not nationality.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:50 AM, nausea said:

Just to clarify, the stamp from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs merely confirms the veracity of the signature on the Embassy Income Letter. They check it v. a list they hold on file. It has nothing to do with the proof, if any, you provided to your Embassy to get the letter in the first place. Whether the stamp is required seems to depend on which Immigration Office you apply to, not nationality.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here I am not talking about theDept of Foreign Affairs but having a Statutory Declaration as we call them in Australia in which I state I receive x amount per month being witnessed by an Embassy Person I provide the document not the Embassy

They are only witnessing my signature to the declaration which I then give to Thai Immigration at Retirement Extension time

My American friend does something similar at the US Embassy