Don Chedi Memorial – Suphan Buri

Kan Win

:bah:

Don Chedi Monument

This is located at Amphoe Don Chedi, 31 kilometres from the township area of Suphan Buri. The pagoda was constructed by the Royal Command of King Naresuan the Great to commemorate his victory against King Maha Uparacha of Burma in single-handed elephant back combat in 1592. A cast statue of King Naresuan the Great mounting the elephant's neck was placed in front of the pagoda.

large.jpg

Don Chedi Memorial - Annual fair

This annual fair is held for 10 days to commemorate the historic event at Don Chedi in 1592 that led to the liberation of the kingdom from foreign occupation. The celebration commences on the 18th of January 2007, as 25th of January is regarded as the Royal Thai Armed Forces Day, with historical exhibitions and outdoor entertainment until 1st of February 2007.

Activities include a light and sound show of the elephant fight, a Don Chedi Beauty Pageant (with contestants in period costume) ???, a fair of both government and private organizations, and other stage performances.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light and Sound Show

Don Chedi Memorial – Suphan Buri

The Show is running now until 1st February 2007.

At 100 baht per person both Thais and non-Thais, it was worth every stang.

Went there last Friday and it was one of the very best Light & Sound Shows that my wife and I have ever been to, yes even better than the one held in “Kan” at the end of November each year for the last 20 odd years and I have been to those shows for 15 years.

Children and Grown-ups will really enjoy this spectacular show with over 200 actresses and actors, plus horses and the “Great Changs” (that you Kan ride before the show begins,) the highlight of this performance.

Held each day from 8.00 p.m. till 9.15 p.m. approx.

There is a Children side show earlier than that near the Chedi, and a later concert at the far bottom corner of the side. Time Table is on my WebPage below :o in Thai only.

This week-end make it a date, be there if you are near by.

Enjoy the photos should you be not able to join in the fun at this “Light & Sound Show:D

Light and Sound Show, Don Chedi :D

Yours truly, :bah:

Kan Win :D

P.S. Should you go, please take some Mozzie repellant, as they bite like mad there. :D

my mother's family comes from a small place called Colcapirua near Cochabamba in central Bolivia...during the liberation struggle with the Spanish the bastids lured the men out an' attacked the town, defended only by woman, children and old men...the same thing happened in amphur Supanburi with the burmese when they went to sack Ayuthaya...the women fought until there was no one standing...

quite bizzare...my mother is buried below the cliff in the General Cementary in Cochabamba where the women took their stand...Mother's Day is special in Cochabamba with a commemoration...the Thais aren't so sentimental...

Be careful!

The light and sound battle re-enactment show is NOT on every night! Met a couple of tourists just yesterday who were bitterly dissapointed to find that the night they went - Sunday, the show wasn't on.

Translated from the Thai brochure:

"There are no shows on the 28 and the 29 January"

Of course, the poor elephants need a break.

For those who don't have their own transport, big public songthaew buses can be found at Suphanburi Town market. The 40 min. journey costs 20 baht. The last songthaew back to town leaves at 1am, but it's best to check first.

This year alone, ive been there twice already. The wife is helping out her school's restaurant.

If anyone fancies meeting up, send me a PM.

BTW: There is even a girlie karaoke show with all the girls dancing on stage and joining the customers at the table. I popped in there and found out that half the girls were at university!

BTW2: This year and probably from now on, the National Army Day was/and will be rescheduled for the 18 Jan. not the 25.

Edited by stevesuphan

Be careful!

The light and sound battle re-enactment show is NOT on every night! Met a couple of tourists just yesterday who were bitterly dissapointed to find that the night they went - Sunday, the show wasn't on.

Translated from the Thai brochure:

"There are no shows on the 28 and the 29 January"

medium.jpg

Of course, the poor elephants need a break.

For those who don't have their own transport, big public songthaew buses can be found at Suphanburi Town market. The 40 min. journey costs 20 baht. The last songthaew back to town leaves at 1am, but it's best to check first.

This year alone, ive been there twice already. The wife is helping out her school's restaurant.

If anyone fancies meeting up, send me a PM.

BTW: There is even a girlie karaoke show with all the girls dancing on stage and joining the customers at the table. I popped in there and found out that half the girls were at university!

BTW2: This year and probably from now on, the National Army Day was/and will be rescheduled for the 18 Jan. not the 25.

So much for the TAT on Suphan Buri, got the info from them.

Will ask my son as he is in the Royal Thai Army.

large.jpg

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D