Video: "Society heads down" buried in phones and heading for oblivion!

webfact

But on the flip side,, isn't this natural selection or attrition at its best? For all that the world's nanny govts try to protect us from ourselves, we are still masters of our own demise.

I remember a few months back on superhighway a rider and pillion pulled up and I realise both females were glued to their phones. I let them have the highway to hell first.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

An average of 9 hours per day on their phones, internet, etc. Watching the neighbors give a 2 year old the phone to keep him busy.

This is the reason why artificial intelligence, or AI, will soon surpass human intelligence...not that machines will become smarter than humans, but rather that humans will become dumber than machines!

The smarter the phone, the dumber its user...

8 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Normal behavior on the roads in Thailand.

lagh at.jpg

Yes, I see it every day with motorbikes. It scares me to think it is probably just as prevalent, if not more so, hidden behind the tinted windows of cars and pick ups.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes  it is getting crazy, people glued to their smart phones,not me, i am a boring old fart who still uses a Nokia push button phone.

Jip 99 please take note of  what Elgius has posted.:cheesy::cheesy:

smart phones need smart people  just stick to your NOKIA

Lack of concentration is tantamount to driving drunk. 

How many road deaths can be attributed to driver distraction world wide?  According to Ford/Volvo Road Safety Research Unit, Driver Distraction is the number one cause of all road fatalities, including drunk driving, which also contributes to driver distraction.

11 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes, rank stupidity. But this obsession with being glued to the mobile phone really is a societal sickness now - it's reached epidemic proportions (and not just in Thailand, but equally in England too, and the West generally).

People (especially - but not only - the young) are totally addicted to their mobile toys, and actually get withdrawal symptoms if they are separated from that toy for a short space. Psychologists are now recognising that this truly is a mental illness.

You could drop an atom bomb beside one of these fools and they would not even notice it: too busy posting the latest photo of the sandwich which they just ate - which of course all the world is so keen and desperate to see (not)!

Exactly! I was in England two weeks ago and it's the same there. It's crazy.

Try walking in a place like Victoria Station where there are people walking towards you from any direction 360° and they are all looking down at their phones.

And I hadn't been back from many years and what i also noticed is those that are not on the phone are looking at the ground-hardly anyone has their head up and looking where they are going.

Very sad society:sad:

Scolded my daughter for texting while driving and she responded "does that mean I should stop applying makeup while driving as well?" Common sense is totally out of the question, let alone common courtesy while driving in Bangkok. 

Just go to any mall, stop and look around.  Most people will be staring at their device.  never mind while driving a car, a bike, operating machinery at work, etc.  Distracted incidents are the number one most frequent type of work injury at many companies.  People are regressing back to sheep.  Nobody remembers phone numbers any more, you just click a GUI or a name.  Nobody reads a map any more, they just follow directions.  Few people know where they are or how to get where they are going.  wicket to wicket, gate to gate.  

I see this several times a day.

The ones doing it in cars I cannot see as the glass is darkened.

I also will see numerous people without helmets on the main roads around town who care not a whiff.

Until it is policed it will continue,

5 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

WRONG!!!!

Normal behavior all over the World now. Don't blame the Thais because you have a hidden agenda.

No your wrong

I blame the Thais, because i'm talking about Thailand and live

in Thailand and this is a Thread about Thailand.

What part of Thailand don't you understand. ?

Nice try to deflect the issue. :bah:

What hidden agenda ?   Please let us all know. :stoner:

49 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

No your wrong

I blame the Thais, because i'm talking about Thailand and live

in Thailand and this is a Thread about Thailand.

What part of Thailand don't you understand. ?

Nice try to deflect the issue. :bah:

What hidden agenda ?   Please let us all know. :stoner:

The issue I am addressing is how social media is changing culture in every society. Thais did not create social media yet you blame them for doing what others do. Why not blame the person in any city who walks into a glass door because they are texting or reading or the kids on snowboards that wipe out others or the kids walking in the rain under an umbrella who walk out into traffic, same behavior different conditions...BTW 'let us all know'? Speak for yourself.

12 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

The issue I am addressing is how social media is changing culture in every society. Thais did not create social media yet you blame them for doing what others do. Why not blame the person in any city who walks into a glass door because they are texting or reading or the kids on snowboards that wipe out others or the kids walking in the rain under an umbrella who walk out into traffic, same behavior different conditions...BTW 'let us all know'? Speak for yourself.

I have NEVER seen a motorcyclist in the United States on their phone while operating their motorcycle.

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Just go to any mall, stop and look around.  Most people will be staring at their device.  never mind while driving a car, a bike, operating machinery at work, etc.  Distracted incidents are the number one most frequent type of work injury at many companies.  People are regressing back to sheep.  Nobody remembers phone numbers any more, you just click a GUI or a name.  Nobody reads a map any more, they just follow directions.  Few people know where they are or how to get where they are going.  wicket to wicket, gate to gate.  

And they vote. 

Archived