New probe of self-help centre budgets hints at massive graft

webfact

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Care to prove that corruption flourished under this regime anymore then the previous ones ? Right now I have not seen any corruption scandals topping the 36 Billion (not million)  lost in fake G2G deals (as proven in court)

You are right that the junta has made fighting corruption as one of their primary roles and that they have failed (see watch scandal and others). 

The corruption is huge, but this corruption is the same as before and should be combated. All corruption should be eradicated but that is just not going to happen overnight. We will see how this is attacked but sadly I think it won't be attacked enough and many people will escape justice. 

"You are right that the junta has made fighting corruption as one of their primary roles".

Also true, every government in the last several decades gave lip service to the same subject, and achieved little to zero. 

There is still nowhere near enough focus and real action on this subject, and IMHO nothing much will happen on this and many other critical points (just 2 examples: police and education reforms and many more items) until there is a massive middle class uprising which not only demands but doesn't back away until there is actual visible reform and visible change locked into place, and severe punishments metered out.

Unfortunately it won't happen tomorrow and I wonder at the genuineness of some of the 'groups' currently being vocal.

A long way to go, step 1: a new visionary who is credible and strong enough to bring in new untainted and capable people and make all the old style politicians and their hangers on totally irrelevant. 

A tall order but hopefully it will eventually happen, if it doesn't then IMHO the LOS will continue not only make no progress but will probably slide backwards when compared to some surrounding countries.

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"You are right that the junta has made fighting corruption as one of their primary roles".

Also true, every government in the last several decades gave lip service to the same subject, and achieved little to zero. 

There is still nowhere near enough focus and real action on this subject, and IMHO nothing much will happen on this and many other critical points (just 2 examples: police and education reforms and many more items) until there is a massive middle class uprising which not only demands but doesn't back away until there is actual visible reform and visible change locked into place, and severe punishments metered out.

Unfortunately it won't happen tomorrow and I wonder at the genuineness of some of the 'groups' currently being vocal.

A long way to go, step 1: a new visionary who is credible and strong enough to bring in new untainted and capable people and make all the old style politicians and their hangers on totally irrelevant. 

A tall order but hopefully it will eventually happen, if it doesn't then IMHO the LOS will continue not only make no progress but will probably slide backwards when compared to some surrounding countries.

I agree only when the people are going to ask for it and wont back down. That wont happen anytime soon and yes maybe a good new visionary, maybe that millionaire who is setting up the new party. Who knows, can't be much worse then the old parties.

I don't 100% agree with your last paragraph.. because that means that other countries around here are corruption free. This is not the case. It might look that way for us but not to those who actually live there. If you were to live in Vietnam and see occasional Thai news you would also not know how corrupt it is here. Just mentioning it because I know people in Vietnam who complain about corruption. I think the whole region singapore excluded has corruption.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I agree only when the people are going to ask for it and wont back down. That wont happen anytime soon and yes maybe a good new visionary, maybe that millionaire who is setting up the new party. Who knows, can't be much worse then the old parties.

I don't 100% agree with your last paragraph.. because that means that other countries around here are corruption free. This is not the case. It might look that way for us but not to those who actually live there. If you were to live in Vietnam and see occasional Thai news you would also not know how corrupt it is here. Just mentioning it because I know people in Vietnam who complain about corruption. I think the whole region singapore excluded has corruption.

Yes there is ruth in your last paragraph, example, the MBA students I teach in Vietnam often mention local corruption. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes there is ruth in your last paragraph, example, the MBA students I teach in Vietnam often mention local corruption. 

I don't claim to know how the corruption relates between countries and what country is most corrupt ect, but I think its a safe bet that they are all corrupt. Many countries here are less free then Thailand. (Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar)  I would think there is a lot of corruption there too. We know there is corruption in Malaysia from the corruption scandals. 

Archived