Army removes volunteer lifeguards from Phuket beaches

webfact

Army removes volunteer lifeguards from Phuket beaches

The Phuket News

1521010099_1-org.jpg

Tourists relax on a beach in Phuket, with not a lifeguard in sight. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub / file

PHUKET: The commanding officer of the Royal Thai Army contingent stationed in Phuket has confirmed that soldiers under his command last Tuesday (Mar 6) “asked” volunteer lifeguards at Kamala to leave the beach and no longer provide lifeguard patrols for tourists.

The move follows marketing survey, engineering and strategic planning consultancy LP Laikhum Co Ltd based in Bangkok quietly being awarded a B13 million contract by the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor) to provide lifeguards at Phuket’s beaches.

LP Laikhum Co Ltd was awarded the contract on Feb 28, with the contract effective from Mar 1, but has yet to provide any lifeguards at Phuket beaches as it has yet to present to the PPAO for approval a list of the lifeguards who will work for them.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/army-removes-volunteer-lifeguards-from-phuket-beaches-66341.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-14

I had to read this twice, I cannot believe it. What has the Army got to do with lifeguards on the beach?, why has the recipient of 13 m baht not commenced coverage, what is going on?. Oh silly me, I forgot, I am in Thailand.

46 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I had to read this twice, I cannot believe it. What has the Army got to do with lifeguards on the beach?, why has the recipient of 13 m baht not commenced coverage, what is going on?. Oh silly me, I forgot, I am in Thailand.

The army is the civil government these days under army rule ..

The 13m has  already been used up paying off everyone ...

This seems a crazy way to get the company which has been awarded the contract (which in itself stinks to high heaven ) to man the beaches. There must be a huge urination competition going on somewhere to force this action.

Surely volunteer lifeguards are better than NO lifeguards but face must be more important than lives.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: The commanding officer of the Royal Thai Army contingent stationed in Phuket has confirmed that soldiers under his command last Tuesday (Mar 6) “asked” volunteer lifeguards at Kamala to leave the beach and no longer provide lifeguard patrols for tourists.

Beggars belief, doesn’t it?

in the real world, the commanding orificer could be held accountable for  any preventable deaths, between now and when the contractor starts.

26 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Beggars belief, doesn’t it?

in the real world, the commanding orificer could be held accountable for  any preventable deaths, between now and when the contractor starts.

Nobody is held accountable. Otherwise it's Attitude Adjustment Time.

Because nobody is allowed to dig deeper, nobody will know who this Ltd company is, the stakeholders or company directors.

Let's just say we've got a pretty good idea who'll benefit out of this.

I mean, hell, Phuket council are gonna pay 13 mil for a job that was being done for free before....

On my beach in Phuket  , the lifeguards who stayed on as volunteers are now moving to jobs in beach loungers , that were  banned 2 years ago btw  , renting out umbrellas ,  that were banned at the same time ,  or jetskis , that SHOULD have  been  banned forever ...

I swear Im living in a parallel universe ...

Archived