"Special forces" and "Thetsakit" to enforce 2,000 baht Pattaya smoking ban fines from April

snoop1130

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Will they plant cigarette butts as false evidence? Two of the guys against your word and they'll have plenty of pocket money for a night out!

I would say OK prove it with a saliva dna test - but you're more likely to be called in to answer questions why your dna is on a 30 mill lottery ticket than get the right answer ! 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ricklev said:

Thetsakit in Bangkok make sure there are no waste bins or ashtrays in the areas they work.  They work in teams tracking anyone they see smoking.  Very effective system ...... of gaining income from tourists.

In their fight against cigarette butts, they (along with tourist families and their children) walk past stands openly selling sex toys, displays of sex dvds  and illegal pharmaceuticals to nab the miscreant smoker.  

Despite 'some' claiming Thai 4.0 the kingdom (unfortunately) is still third world feudal society. A beautiful country spoilt somewhat by many inhabitants - locals and visitors alike.

2 hours ago, cookieqw said:

if you take a ride round the back steets of pattaya you will see garbage dumped all over the place, this is not farang doing it,  this is thais doing this

Naklus soi 16/2.............the soi opposite centara mirrage from main entrance to naklua

where all the high end ladys,high class tourists  and marine lovers staying ( staement of tat)....they loving the rubbish soi, bcs its so exotic for this typeof high end tourism, they never saw that in other high end places

is full of rubbish and smelling over a 100mtr strectch, not only today,not only yestrday,not only a month or a year ago....................

yes,could  tell 100 streets more............

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Why would anyone want to visit the beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien anyhow. Cigarette butts are the least of the concerns. This is a smokescreen to cover up the underlying issues of poor sanitation, constant flooding and a general two-thumbs up at Mr and Mrs Farang. I would rather smoke a packet of 20 than swim in the sea....Perhaps when the Thai's have their own house in order THEN they can berate the foreigners.

Don't you mean a two FINGERED gesture?

I was waiting for the pattaya bus, from the airport last week, across the road from the line of taxies. There were no smoking signs everywhere, and smokers everywhere! It actually seems like these laws are made up as a joke. I cant image over 200 people on the beach, playing police, catching smokers and stray dogs, there is going to be a lot of fighting I think. Too bad these police, cant be used to pick up the garbage.

They want take a look at Soi Arunotai 4, Pattaya next to the the 7/11, vendors cooking and selling food, a couple of metres away 3/4 garbage bins surrounded by stuff people have dumped, mattresses etc.

The area is rat infested, I have witnessed a few when walking past, no one cleans the area yet they appear to be more concerned about a few cigarette butts on the Beach.

This is a predominately Thai area so as usual nought is done about it.

On another point I thought selling alcohol and food was illegal on Pattaya Beach, I was at the Beach and both were openly being sold ?

Tourists are killed on Thai roads every month, why can't they have a important meeting about that and try to save peoples lives instead of acting like idiots .

For whatever goes terribly wrong in this country the strategy is: let's find a way to blame on foreigners and fine them. The good news is- so far no special task force was clever enough to blame foreigners for military coups, endemic corruption, road rage, unregistered guns, and sewage pipes polluting the ocean. However, I'm sure they are working hard on it.

My understanding is that thetsakit have no legal authority.  They can't arrest you, and one is free simply to ignore them and walk away.  Of course, your typical tourist doesn't know this.

That photo says it all. They sit around all day wracking their brains....what can we do to punish foreigners and extract more money from foreigners. No Thai will ever cough up 2K for having a smoke on the beach, but foreigners (tourists, visitors, guests in the country) will be led down to the police station and intimidated into handing over money. 

3 hours ago, cookieqw said:

if you take a ride round the back steets of pattaya you will see garbage dumped all over the place, this is not farang doing it,  this is thais doing this

And if you look up while walking at beachroad you'll see large coconuts hanging in the tree's, waiting to ruin someone's holiday.

14 hours ago, champers said:

The saga continues. Pets now included. Dogs will have to find somewhere else to take a dump... and have a smoke.

Meanwhile the ongoing accumulated garbage along Pattaya beach will remain unchecked. 

Ok.  Sanity reins again.  100,000 THB <ha ha ha>  2000 THB <good idea>  Simply enforce the existing laws.  They should reserve the 100,000 THB fine for entities dumping raw sewage into tributaries that enter the bay and boats dumping oil and contaminates into the water. 
Regarding the 'special forces', their time would be better spent behind the wheel of a patrol car out on the road issuing citation to dangerous and aggressive drivers.
Amazing Thailand: cleaning up butts on the beach is more important than stopping the carnage on the roads.

11 hours ago, poanoi said:

i'm a former smoker, and a foreigner will invariably

throw a cigarette butt in an ash tray, and litter in a trash can,

so long as there is any trash can & ash tray around.

i also believe thais can be trained to throw litter in a trash can

so long as there is any trash can around, and negligence result in a fine

I  know the lack of trash cans are due to bomb scares  also in London 

Begs the question will rabid mongrels be rounded up then? Who will be fined for the bloody curs that run wild? The so-called owners who feed these mutts? Or are only responsible dog owners with leashed and under control dogs subject to fines? 

12 hours ago, poanoi said:

i'm a former smoker, and a foreigner will invariably

throw a cigarette butt in an ash tray, and litter in a trash can,

so long as there is any trash can & ash tray around.

i also believe thais can be trained to throw litter in a trash can

so long as there is any trash can around, and negligence result in a fine

I am often astonished at the high percentage of smokers who throw their cigarette butts out the window, in areas where there is a high danger of fire, or just toss them onto the street, or onto the floor in a hotel lobby or a mall. It is very offensive. Sorry, but in general most smokers are very disrespectful people. Between their second hand smoke, in restaurants, bars, and around children, and their offensive disposal of their butts, they appear to be positively toxic people. Most. Not all. For some reason, it is still considered hip to smoke on Europe. I really do not get that one. For some of us, who despise tobacco, and the noxious odor, the lack of respect on the part of smokers is glaring.

As far as the ban goes, this law has been on the books for years. In some areas of Bangkok, I see it enforced. In some areas of Pattaya, not at all. On Samui, not even 1% of the establishments enforce the law, as it is a law free island., and the police there only collect money, and do not ever engage in law enforcement. 

I used to ask where the no smoking section is. The answer was always the same. Oh do not worry. You can smoke anywhere.

Now, I ask if I can smoke! They say, oh the smoking area is over there. LOL.

There is no beach to pollute way up here but we were in Chiang Saen last Sunday walking beside the mighty Mekong , lo and behold a concrete bench had a bag stuffed with crushed beer cans under it, by a tree 2 metres away was a large ,nearly empty waste bin.

I would bet it was a local that left that there , must be loss of face to say ' hang on lads let me just dispose of this '. Too easy to shove it under the seat for some other lower class to pick up.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But to soften the blow the local authority plan some nice dances and yoga showcasing the wonderful Thai culture on April 2nd. 

Yes, I can see dancing - in traditional costume, of course - and yoga being the perfect alternative to being banned from smoking on the beach . . . enough to make the filthy smokers quit the habit forever. Another successful meeting by those folk in blue.

concrete bench had a bag stuffed with crushed beer cans under it, by a tree 2 metres away was a large ,nearly empty waste bin.

Don't worry someone had collected all those cans and was going take them to

the "recycling" center in exchange for a few baht for many people its their only way to survive.

Archived