Farang and Thai woman with two teens. Marry?

Would like to know if anyone has had experience with marrying a Thai with two

Teenage children, one boy 15yrs old going to trade school and a daughter 13

Living with dad? (I don’t understand that) she has good job.  Feedback is much appreciated.

I have raised one boy of my own and one stepson. They are both doing fine.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone that had a partner with 2 teenage kids ( when I left them ), unless they both live elsewhere, RUN.

My Thai wife didn't have her own kids, but her ratbag nephew decided to make our home his own, and never did anything to contribute, except leave a mess for us to clean up ( her when I refused to do so anymore ).

You will never have a life where it's just you and her.

You will always come after her own children .

Is that what you really want?

You will also come after her family, her friends, her friend's children, her countrymen, the pet hamster and the soi dogs, but that is normal for most farang husbands.

If you do go ahead, make sure you're never in a position with the daughter where you could be compromised ie, never be in a room with just the 2 of you and the door closed. I'm sure I don't have to explain that.

Gentleman, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the insight. It is much appreciated. It was at times very hard to raise two teen boys in the states, track and martial arts was a saving grace for me. (They were busy busy) Both are doing great. Thailand I have no clue?

7 minutes ago, Goodwill Jones said:

Gentleman, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the insight. It is much appreciated. It was at times very hard to raise two teen boys in the states, track and martial arts was a saving grace for me. (They were busy busy) Both are doing great. Thailand I have no clue?

None of your experience in the US will be of any use in LOS, whatsoever.

Women are hard to understand in your own culture and impossible here.

The entire family dynamic is different from anything you knew before.

We are as lambs to the slaughter in LOS, IMO.

I had decades of experience with Thai women and still got it wrong.

Feel lucky?

If I have any recommendations, it would be to make no commitments at all, till you know her a lot longer, like 4 or 5 years.

If you really want to be together, as MaeJo says, have a village wedding. That's a wonderful Thai institution, which means she gets to be married to the farang, but your life isn't over if it all goes wrong.

Definitely don't have a baby with her, unless willing to be an ATM for life.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you really want to be together, as MaeJo says, have a village wedding. That's a wonderful Thai institution, which means she gets to be married to the farang, but your life isn't over if it all goes wrong.

Definitely don't have a baby with her, unless willing to be an ATM for life.

I am no lawyer but I heard that if a Thai women can present pictures of her village wedding that is considered in a Thai court like and official marriage.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am no lawyer but I heard that if a Thai women can present pictures of her village wedding that is considered in a Thai court like and official marriage.

I was more considering the legality of the marriage in our own country. Unless I told them I lived with the woman for 2 years it isn't considered a legal union in my country.

I have no knowledge as to whether that applies in Thailand or not, but I can't see most being able to pursue it through the courts, and the guy could just leave Thailand if it got that serious.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you do go ahead, make sure you're never in a position with the daughter where you could be compromised ie, never be in a room with just the 2 of you and the door closed. I'm sure I don't have to explain that.

I get the idea what could happen but I am interested why you write he should never put himself into such a position. What do you think might happen?

1) the guy misbehaves

2) the girl misbehaves

3) independent of what may have happened: the mother will complain

4) independent of what may have happened: the daughter will use it against him

I would have though as long as the guy and his step daughter behave like they should there shouldn't be any problem. Or not?

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I get the idea what could happen but I am interested why you write he should never put himself into such a position. What do you think might happen?

1) the guy misbehaves

2) the girl misbehaves

I would have though as long as the guy and his step daughter behave like they should there shouldn't be any problem. Or not?

Lucky for me my 'acquired daughter' is 20 in a few months, well past any of that silliness.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1) the guy misbehaves

2) the girl misbehaves

Because the guy will never win if accused by a girl/ woman.

Imagine if he falls out with the girl ( 13 and going through that very confusing period of life ) for some silly reason, and she accuses him of molesting her. He's done, and his life is over. It'll be on his record back home as a child molester.

Safety is only in never being in a situation where an accusation can be credible.

In the west it's so bad now that even if a man looks at a girl he's accused of something bad. Part of the reason so few men go teaching now.

In my last job I had to be very careful not to ever be in a room with adult women with the door closed, as it's a mad world now. Only approved staff were allowed to be with children, and even they were banned from giving them a cuddle after surgery because of the possibility of being accused of something by parents.

Her son will live on campus while going to school 15 months. We have met. He is very likable seems smart. Her daughter I have not yet met.  She lives with Dad. I have seen many photos of her.When I ask about all of us living together she will say, we will talk about it?

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Hardly. But living together under the same roof for 5 years (without interruption), is legally being considered as a "married couple". Goes for Farangs as well as Thai's.

May have changed in the Big City but not likely in rural Thailand. May also differ from Amphoe to Amphoe. Hard to live in a country, where there is no "legal-certainty". Isn't it?

Cheers.

Just now, Goodwill Jones said:

Her son will live on campus while going to school 15 months. We have met. He is very likable seems smart. Her daughter I have not yet met.  She lives with Dad. I have seen many photos of her.When I ask about all of us living together she will say, we will talk about it?

Half the battle if you have a good relationship with the lad but maybe you should try and delve deeper and figure out what the basis of you all living together is for. If that is the plan? I say this because some people just like to get one over on another. Parent clash etc. Why would you uproot the daughter if she fine with dad? Having never met her either it sounds a bit premature to be contemplating anything serious. Those steps need time and better understanding of the dynamics of the existing arrangements should not go ignored. Only needs 1 argument 1 loss of face 1 dislike for a kid to scream I don't want to live here. Kis with options will use options regardless of where thry are from.

35 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

From my experience, a lady without children, never married and without living parents is always a good bet.

The no parents thing is great if you can find one like I did but with kids they either have them or want one and personally I'm not making anymore of my own so took the lesser of two options. 

My wife has a daughter who has lived with us for the last 10 years.. she is 24 now.. I put her through high school and 4 years at the local university.. she has a job now but still lives with us..  She is a great kid and has never been a problem.. I love her like my own daughter.. This is one of the best things that I think I have done.. giving her a chance in life that she could never have had living with her dad.. Sure it cost a bit.. but no regrets at all.. 

53 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

The no parents thing is great if you can find one like I did but with kids they either have them or want one and personally I'm not making anymore of my own so took the lesser of two options. 

For an older farang, a vasectomy is a good plan if wanting to marry a fertile Thai woman with children. A child by the farang is a guaranteed ATM card for life ( of the farang ).

58 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

My wife's boys are a pain in the ass. On special occasions I treat them to some farang delicacies to keep them on track. Either a knuckle sandwich or a freshly opened hot can of whoop-ass seems to refocus them. 

Problem with that is eventually they grow up and you will have to watch your back.

2 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

My wife has a daughter who has lived with us for the last 10 years.. she is 24 now.. I put her through high school and 4 years at the local university.. she has a job now but still lives with us..  She is a great kid and has never been a problem.. I love her like my own daughter.. This is one of the best things that I think I have done.. giving her a chance in life that she could never have had living with her dad.. Sure it cost a bit.. but no regrets at all.. 

I did much the same but no uni, the lad now has a job for life and he knows he only has that because of me. In fact he treats me as his dad and we get on great.

Mrs.Trans sister has no farang husband, a Thai, they have three children, all been to uni and have degree's..One sells second hand clothes in a market, one lays on the sofa all day being fed grapes and the third is a salesman..

7 hours ago, Goodwill Jones said:

If you do go ahead with this, just enjoy every day they ain't living with you.

I have no idea why you would want her to come and live with you if she's not already living with her mother.

It's not going to make YOUR life better.

20 hours ago, Goodwill Jones said:

I support what the others have said. I haven't experienced it myself as my Thai wife and  I had our own mixed race daughter after we married, but I have seen friends try to take in two or more Thai kids and it has rarely worked out well. If they are very young, like babies, or close to babies, then maybe.  Teenagers I would think you would have to be extremely lucky for it to be anything other than expensive and a real hassle.  They will never see you as Dad and they will be so very Thai in their cultural approach to the relationship. that you will be outside forever.   If you dont speak Thai, (or Issan if that is where they live) it will be next to impossible for you to integrate.  There will also always be their real Dad to contend with.  Live with your lady if you want to and can, but my advice would be not to marry and to make it plain that you are with her, not with her kids and that you will not be responsible for them or parent them .  If you have western kids, you could also screw up their inheritance of any assets you  may have in Thailand. 

Archived