Nurse in horrific accident - teacher driver bargains refusing to pay family demands for compensation

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes here is, but it's also possible to buy fake stickers, and fake documents to present at the gov't office to renew the annual road tax in the vehicle blue book.

I'm aware of a case, several years back where the fake sticker / documents team were asking people outside the renewals office in Chonburi is they wanted to buy fake sticker / document.

The crap that happens on a daily basis never fails to amaze. Its like Bart Simpson in real life. However, considering how responsibly they drive and how shamelessly they flick off responsibility when their ignorance caused an accident, how would they decide which kind of insurance they need? How would they ascertain which is a reliable or genuine insurer?

what a circus..shameful...try living the rest of your life without a spleen..or any other organ for that matter...Stand firm ...this teacher should be paying at least 1 million because this poor girl is not going to have a very normal life

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes here is, but it's also possible to buy fake stickers, and fake documents to present at the gov't office to renew the annual road tax in the vehicle blue book.

I'm aware of a case, several years back where the fake sticker / documents team were asking people outside the renewals office in Chonburi is they wanted to buy fake sticker / document.

Looking forward to links for this. I have never heard of it before.

I've been in the insurance industry for forty years, and I still can't work out how car insurance in Thailand functions - including mine. 

In the UK, the insurance company would pay the innocent party's costs and charge their client the full premium at renewal, with no no-claims discount - or refuse cover. The police would prosecute the guilty driver. 

In LoS, as I understand it, the vehicle is insured, irrespective of the age/ability/stupidity/claims record of the driver(s). But the minimum requirement is third-party, hence those claims should still be met by the insurance company - though for what amount is another matter.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Horrific stuff. So common here. She was just minding her own business, and waiting at a red light. What on earth was the so called teacher doing? Texting? Talking on the phone? How can one allow themselves to be that distracted, while driving? How can this so called teacher justify the negotiations, when the damage they caused was an extensive as it was? Such a worm. Such a retrograde. Such a subpar individual. Such a loser. Such a monumental screw up. Lucky the gal on the bike was not killed. 

I do not mean to cast a negative light on the victim of this accident, but getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

The usual response here is to try and avoid any responsibility for any accident and any consequences. Couple of weeks ago a guy hit my wing mirror whilst driving at ridiculous speed and squeezing between a waiting queue of cars at a U-turn and the barrier. He didn't even want to do a u-turn but was trying to jump the traffic jam! He drove off. Took me several kilometers of chasing him, flashing headlights, sounding horn, waving, hazard lights before finally getting in front of it and stopping him. Of course, his insurance had "just expired"! Our insurance guy came quickly and sorted it after some debate and discussions with Mrs.BB. The other party didn't want to accept it but seeing as the damage on the two cars was there to see, and that road has a lot of CCTV coverage, and he had no insurance, didn't want to go to the police and finally, begrudingly admitted it, then claimed he hadn't actually notice the loud bang and cars rocking; or me trying to gain his attention to stop him!

After he left the insurance guy told me not to do that again. Just get the plate number and leave it to them to follow up through the police. Said that road was notorious for fights, stabbings and shootings from traffic accidents! 

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

After he left the insurance guy told me not to do that again. Just get the plate number and leave it to them to follow up through the police. Said that road was notorious for fights, stabbings and shootings from traffic accidents! 

This is actually very true. Do not do this kind of stuff in Thailand. Get the license plate number if possible and let the insurance guy handle the rest. Everything else can be extremely dangerous depending on the other party.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just checked my 1st class insurance, 3rd party liability.

500,000 per person

10,000,000 per accident

1m property damage.

If someone hasn't got enough insurance they should pay compensation, hopefully the police will enforce it

The police cannot enforce compensation. In UK the insurance may pay some compensation but the police only deal with the criminal nature of the driver, nothing to do with compensation like Thailand. 

The police cannot enforce compensation. In UK the insurance may pay some compensation but the police only deal with the criminal nature of the driver, nothing to do with compensation like Thailand. 
Police do get involved with compensation, you must know that?

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Who said the teacher had insurance ?

5 hours ago, Xaos said:

She will get nothing if it goes to court.

In Jan. 2017, my wife died in a motorcycle accident in Sisaket. The case went to court since the girl that the police found at fault refused to make any offer. Once in court she told the court she could pay 20K and 3K each month for 2 years. She did finally make the 20K but the monthly payment is just a dream. The court hopes we will just walk away since she is a single mother without any real income. And, even though my wife died, the hospital still insisted we pay for their failed "efforts" at saving her.

In Jan. 2017, my wife died in a motorcycle accident in Sisaket. The case went to court since the girl that the police found at fault refused to make any offer. Once in court she told the court she could pay 20K and 3K each month for 2 years. She did finally make the 20K but the monthly payment is just a dream. The court hopes we will just walk away since she is a single mother without any real income. And, even though my wife died, the hospital still insisted we pay for their failed "efforts" at saving her.

Sad story, isn't that why it's best to get good 1st class insurance?

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

Police do get involved with compensation, you must know that?

Not in the UK like Thailand where if you pay enough compensation then the case is dropped by the police. Prosecution the UK does not depend upon the compensation asked for or paid.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

The usual response here is to try and avoid any responsibility for any accident and any consequences. Couple of weeks ago a guy hit my wing mirror whilst driving at ridiculous speed and squeezing between a waiting queue of cars at a U-turn and the barrier. He didn't even want to do a u-turn but was trying to jump the traffic jam! He drove off. Took me several kilometers of chasing him, flashing headlights, sounding horn, waving, hazard lights before finally getting in front of it and stopping him. Of course, his insurance had "just expired"! Our insurance guy came quickly and sorted it after some debate and discussions with Mrs.BB. The other party didn't want to accept it but seeing as the damage on the two cars was there to see, and that road has a lot of CCTV coverage, and he had no insurance, didn't want to go to the police and finally, begrudingly admitted it, then claimed he hadn't actually notice the loud bang and cars rocking; or me trying to gain his attention to stop him!

It is largely about the horrific practice of face. Something I really despise, and have alot thoughts on. And yes, that was quite brave of you to chase him down. 

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you not catch it all on dashcam?

From the original thread(s) I recall this victim was wearing a helmet and that it stayed on but was covered by her hood. The matter was verified at the time by a poster who knows the victim and had visited her in hospital.

HTH

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not mean to cast a negative light on the victim of this accident, but getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding.

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say but if it's that the victim was asking for problems and/or playing Russian roulette by not wearing a helmet then you are casting her in a negative light and are doing so quite without justification. She was wearing a helmet (it's clearly visible at the beginning of the video) and although I don't know precisely what quality it was, it may just possibly have been what saved her life.

5 hours ago, Annunaki said:

Why did no one attend to the victim?

Do the police here not have any first aid training?

Police far far too busy shaking down a few kids,  priorities please! 

No insurance (assumed) and driving irresponsibly. Why do Thai people think you can just pay your way out of it -  even when it costs more than you have. It's not about being on a motorbike - a young Thai nurse probably couldn't accord much more - it's about people taking responsibility of their own driving stupidity.  If the court fails her then there is truly no justice. 

I had a near miss with a 14 year boy driving his motorbike irresponsibly recently. It could have been much worse. The family said they didn't have any money. 

How can the teacher complain about THB 500,000 as a settlement.  That's a lot less than what the compensation should be, IMO, for such a horrific accident, especially when the blame is 100% on the teacher.  The poor young lady was doing everything correctly.  It will be interesting to read how this incident resolves itself in the future.  It will be a commentary on Thai police and Thailand's treatment of drivers who commit horrific crimes.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Horrific stuff. So common here. She was just minding her own business, and waiting at a red light. What on earth was the so called teacher doing? Texting? Talking on the phone? How can one allow themselves to be that distracted, while driving? How can this so called teacher justify the negotiations, when the damage they caused was an extensive as it was? Such a worm. Such a retrograde. Such a subpar individual. Such a loser. Such a monumental screw up. Lucky the gal on the bike was not killed. 

I do not mean to cast a negative light on the victim of this accident, but getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

In Samui more than 50% of Westerners do not wear helmet on their motorbike, I can see that every single day. And certainly not only the young one. Personnaly as strange as it may seems I brought my helmet with me in my luggage..But to be honest not only for security reasons but also because I love it :-)

10 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

No insurance (assumed) and driving irresponsibly. Why do Thai people think you can just pay your way out of it -  even when it costs more than you have. It's not about being on a motorbike - a young Thai nurse probably couldn't accord much more - it's about people taking responsibility of their own driving stupidity.  If the court fails her then there is truly no justice. 

I had a near miss with a 14 year boy driving his motorbike irresponsibly recently. It could have been much worse. The family said they didn't have any money. 

Because they have,   No Scruples,  No morals, No care for there fellow citizens. 

Its ingrained at a very early age,  by there parents.

Its also coupled with the,  Thai weakness,  of loss of Face.

truly there biggest millstone they carry. :shock1:

19 hours ago, Annunaki said:

If you live here, you see the extent of what they do here. It is sad indeed.

20 hours ago, Annunaki said:

Im not 100 % sure on this but I think its because in Thailand if you try to help a victim of an accident or similar and they die or end up with serious injuries for life etc they or the family can try to say it was due to you being partly to blame and claim compensation from you in court.

Im sure a Thai friend or my wife told me this years ago as I asked about a similar thing on the news here. But I cant believe the cop is still more interested in talking to the group he was talking to rather than assess the woman on the ground !! Surely a cop would be exempt from any form of blame if trying to assist a person and as for the fact he just leaves her there waiting to get run over by the next vehicle beggars belief !!

Archived