Nurse in horrific accident - teacher driver bargains refusing to pay family demands for compensation

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say but if it's that the victim was asking for problems and/or playing Russian roulette by not wearing a helmet then you are casting her in a negative light and are doing so quite without justification. She was wearing a helmet (it's clearly visible at the beginning of the video) and although I don't know precisely what quality it was, it may just possibly have been what saved her life.

You are correct. She was wearing a helmet. But, either it was unfastened, in the cavalier fashion alot of Thais employ, or it was such a cheap helmet, that with the impact the strap or the buckle broke immediately, therefore not being of much use to her. You can clearly see her head on the pavement. My point is that an education campaign that not only emphasizes the use of a helmet, but that focuses on using as good a helmet as you can afford would be helpful.

Agree, the School teacher will have full insurance, she or her insurance company will have to pay full compensation , new motorbike and all medical expenses, now and in the future. They only option is to double the payment and try for a one off payment. The teachers dealing are secondly to stop going to court, and should not effect the insurance company legal duty

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

In Samui more than 50% of Westerners do not wear helmet on their motorbike, I can see that every single day. And certainly not only the young one. Personnaly as strange as it may seems I brought my helmet with me in my luggage..But to be honest not only for security reasons but also because I love it :-)

You seem like a very smart person, to take that kind of precaution with your head. Most people do not realize how delicate the human skull is. And the kinds of problems that can result, from hitting it on a hard pavement, especially while going at a good clip. Most here wear cheap helmets. Wear at least a REAL quality brand, if not an Arai or a Shoei. Your head is worth it. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

You are correct. She was wearing a helmet. But, either it was unfastened, in the cavalier fashion alot of Thais employ, or it was such a cheap helmet, that with the impact the strap or the buckle broke immediately, therefore not being of much use to her. You can clearly see her head on the pavement. My point is that an education campaign that not only emphasizes the use of a helmet, but that focuses on using as good a helmet as you can afford would be helpful.

Her helmet was fastened, it is her handbag you see flying through the air in the video. She suffered no brain damage or head injuries due to the fact she was wearing a helmet, not the dearest but not the cheapest either .It is the opinion of the doctors that indeed the helmet did save her life. I also believe the fact she was totally relaxed and not expecting the impact saved her from any spinal injuries.Talking of education campaigns the Governor of Nong Bua has mooted the idea of using the video in some sort of helmet wearing campaign in that she survived such a violent impact. The driver involves in fact owns two cars but pleads "no money", fortunately for Praew, social and mainstream media are very supportive and she now has free access to the no 1 Lawyer in Udon. Update on her condition is that she is home and recovering, walking and eating but gets tired and must rest. She goes back to hospital next week for evaluation and to discuss when she maybe able to return to work . The driver was uninsured apart from the compulsory rego insurance  that pays a pittance and really only covers the medical expenses and as a practising nurse who did her training at Udon hospital, she got the best of medical treatment and care

5 minutes ago, dinooz57 said:

Her helmet was fastened, it is her handbag you see flying through the air in the video. She suffered no brain damage or facial injuries due to the fact she was wearing a helmet, not the dearest but not the cheapest either .It is the opinion of the doctors that indeed the helmet did save her life. I also believe the fact she was totally relaxed and not expecting the impact saved her from any spinal injuries.Talking of education campaigns the Governor of Nong Bua has mooted the idea of using the video in some sort of helmet wearing campaign in that she survived such a violent impact. The driver involves in fact owns two cars but pleads "no money", fortunately for Praew social and mainstream media are very supportive and she now has free access to the no 1 Lawyer in Udon. Update on her condition is that she is home and recovering, walking and eating but gets tired and must rest. She goes back to hospital next week for evaluation and to discuss when she maybe able to return to work .

Wow. Really good news. Thanks for that. Hope she fully recovers, and is able to collect from the negligent fool who hit her. 

On 3/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, Annunaki said:

Why did no one attend to the victim?

Do the police here not have any first aid training?

Often, it seems like the local people are reluctant to get involved. Not sure if it is indifference to injury or death, or fear of being held responsible, or just fear. 

I seriously doubt the police have first aid training. That would be defined as a public service. There is one aspect of this, that always has to be taken into account. I think most Thais get it. But most foreigners do not. The police here own franchises. They are franchisees. They are not law enforcement officials. They rarely engage in law enforcement, traffic safety, or public safety. They are not here for the benefit of the people, and they are not here to keep us safe. They are here to collect. That is all they do. If you need to give them an official title, it would be that of a revenue collection agent. Only it is their own account, that they represent.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:37 AM, Annunaki said:

Why did no one attend to the victim?

Do the police here not have any first aid training?

Was my thoughts also, as a trained first aider all my working life with both St Johns and British Red Cross it made me feel sick to see not one person went over to give assistance to that poor girl. Driver should be jailed for that maniac action and pay the price the mother has asked for.

Mandatory Basic Thai Insurance for a Bike or Car only covers (I believe) the first 30,000 Baht of medical expenses. NOTHING ELSE.

This is the only insurance that is currently required to get your vehicle  Road Taxed,

Third Party , Third Party Fire and theft and First class are ALL extra insurances that MOST vehicles DO NOT HAVE.

Fools who rent vehicles in Pattaya are often caught up in this and end up with large  bills as they are liable for all expenses both medical and damages for both vehicles.

46 minutes ago, akampa said:

the idiot that ran into the girl on the bike was a NURSE she could have helped !

The idiot that ran into the girl on the bike is a TEACHER.

The girl on the bike is a NURSE.

Latest news here.

As Dinooz57 has already correctly stated, the teacher had only the mandatory por tor bor insurance, capped at 30k baht. The teacher also has two cars but claims to have no money beyond the token 350k baht offered.

I would imagine that if the teacher sold BOTH cars and gave the money to the victim, that would satisfy the compensation demands as well as getting an idiot off the streets.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The idiot that ran into the girl on the bike is a TEACHER.

The girl on the bike is a NURSE.

Latest news here.

As Dinooz57 has already correctly stated, the teacher had only the mandatory por tor bor insurance, capped at 30k baht. The teacher also has two cars but claims to have no money beyond the token 350k baht offered.

I would imagine that if the teacher sold BOTH cars and gave the money to the victim, that would satisfy the compensation demands as well as getting an idiot off the streets.

well spotted silly me hope the nurse recovers .

Archived