Land Rover S3 restoration in Chiang Mai?

trigger571

I will be moving to Chiang Mai in a few months and am looking to send my 1974 Series 3 LW base Land Rover by trailer to have it restored in the meantime. Nothing too dramatic but it does need some new panels due to rot, a new spray job and adding some extras. Can anyone recommend any good workshop around which either specializes in classics or knows what they are doing with Land Rovers?

Thanks.

PS I will be moving to Hang Dong area so somewhere closish to there would be great though I am willing to travel for a reliable place.

I always thought Landies were made of aluminium panels?  Only areas that tended to rot were the chassis.

I inherited a S2 SWB when the old man passed away in NZ.  I never used it as I was working overseas a lot.  Gave it to my brother.  All original and with off-road hubs....very low geared. Not much fun on the open road.

Still good wagons if you get a good'un.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, CMKiwi said:

I always thought Landies were made of aluminium panels?  Only areas that tended to rot were the chassis.

I inherited a S2 SWB when the old man passed away in NZ.  I never used it as I was working overseas a lot.  Gave it to my brother.  All original and with off-road hubs....very low geared. Not much fun on the open road.

Still good wagons if you get a good'un.

You beat me to it. All aluminium panels. Perhaps damaged panels replaced with steel sometime.

Apart from being a typically British designed vehicle that was a pig to maintain, they were pretty tough and lasted well.

Anyone with a clue threw out the original petrol engine and put in a diesel or a Holden engine.

I just checked on google and found something that indicates the firewall on series 3 is steel and they used steel frames in the doors.

Best thing about Landies was the aluminium body and looks like they blew that off too.

Typical!

Archived