Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 January 2019 22:24
skatewash

ONLINE Reporting of Address Now Possible in Phuket

Recommended Posts

Phuket Immigration has introduced an ONLINE Registration System that allows foreigners to register themselves as staying at their own address (residence). It would seem that using the online Registration System can now be used instead of filing a paper TM-30 (Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Aliens have stayed) in person at the Immigration Office.
 

Recently it seems that some immigration offices (including Phuket) have started enforcing the law that requires foreigners to report their address to immigration (even if it hasn't changed) within 24 hours of arriving at their residence after being outside of Thailand. The new online Registration System allows you to comply with this legal obligation by doing this reporting online. One needs to create an account within the online Registration System the first time, but once that is done (and it's not that difficult to do) the actual reporting of your stay at your residence only takes a few minutes.


Detailed instructions on how to do this are contained in the attached file.

Phuket Immigration Address Registration.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for taking the time to put this together- I'll have a bash over the weekend.

 

Just looking at the last paragraph I take it this system is OK for someone self-reporting in place of an absentee landlord?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Just looking at the last paragraph I take it this system is OK for someone self-reporting in place of an absentee landlord?

 

Interesting question.

 

It would seem that under the law the landlord (absentee or not) as the owner, along with the renter as possessor, are each liable to being fined for not registering any foreigners staying at a particular residence in Thailand.  Of course, as a practical matter, it is much easier to fine the renter as he is the one with ongoing business at the immigration office, as compared to an absentee landlord.  The enforcement mechanism against the renter is much more effective ;-)

It does not seem to me that you are doing anything wrong by creating an account for a residence where you are staying for the purpose of allowing you to comply with the existing law for reporting the address of where you reside.  But then I'm not a lawyer.  Just a guy trying to stay on the right side of the law and, if doing so can be done conveniently, then I'm in favor of doing it that way.  In my opinion, you are simply providing true and timely information to immigration pursuant to complying with existing law using a mechanism that immigration has made available online.

By making the possessor (renter) liable to fines the law seems to acknowledge that a possessor is authorized to take the necessary steps to satisfy the legal requirement and thereby avoid having to pay a fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It does not seem to me that you are doing anything wrong by creating an account

really? I listened to Rozz info for a bit and it seems you need to sign up, ( register), as  ur landlord  (so u lie on an official government site, saying ur someone your not) to be able to register yourself as a tenant.

 

I'll stick with what immigration told me  (no need to report if u travel in Thailand BUT only if u leave the country) and have no intention of rocking the boat.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to wait until I run into problems at Immigration. I have about four trips to of the country planned in the next few months  so won't need another 90 day report (after the one next week) during the currency of the current extension of stay, which expires in December. By then perhaps the situation may be clearer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 7:51 PM, skatewash said:

Interesting question.

 

It would seem that under the law the landlord (absentee or not) as the owner, along with the renter as possessor, are each liable to being fined for not registering any foreigners staying at a particular residence in Thailand.  Of course, as a practical matter, it is much easier to fine the renter as he is the one with ongoing business at the immigration office, as compared to an absentee landlord.  The enforcement mechanism against the renter is much more effective ;-)

It does not seem to me that you are doing anything wrong by creating an account for a residence where you are staying for the purpose of allowing you to comply with the existing law for reporting the address of where you reside.  But then I'm not a lawyer.  Just a guy trying to stay on the right side of the law and, if doing so can be done conveniently, then I'm in favor of doing it that way.  In my opinion, you are simply providing true and timely information to immigration pursuant to complying with existing law using a mechanism that immigration has made available online.

By making the possessor (renter) liable to fines the law seems to acknowledge that a possessor is authorized to take the necessary steps to satisfy the legal requirement and thereby avoid having to pay a fine.

Just thinking about this having read through the excellent tutorial. I concur with everything you say above.

 

For a non-resident landlord there are numerous impracticalities to the existing system- no way someone living elsewhere in the world could be doing this every time I go away for the night (takes me long enough to get him to answer an email anyway!).

 

If the account were created by him (or me in his name) but I had access to the password I could access the account and update it as and when. All they would see if they ever actually did a digital audit was that the account was accessed and updated. Nothing wrong there?

 

Interesting to see if Merjin has any comment on this? 

 

I hate second hand stories but I have been hearing that they are actively encouraging landlords to register online- maybe the constant trail of people into the office to register is finally having an effect on their mindset.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

For a non-resident landlord there are numerous impracticalities to the existing system- no way someone living elsewhere in the world could be doing this every time I go away for the night (takes me long enough to get him to answer an email anyway!).

MY UK landlord just gave me a few POA forms if i need them..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your information.

 

After reading that PDF, I clicked on the second option above the “90 days (Online)” option. Then it jumped to the attached page. It is not the page on that PDF.

Maybe immigration office has changed their system.

What should I do ?

 

Untitled.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, XD1 at Phuket said:

Thank you for your information.

 

 

After reading that PDF, I clicked on the second option above the “90 days (Online)” option. Then it jumped to the attached page. It is not the page on that PDF.

Maybe immigration office has changed their system.

What should I do ?

 

 

Untitled.jpg

Take another look at Page 2 of the PDF.  I think you're picking the wrong option. 

 

The right option is specified in step 2 on that page.  It is the option being pointed to by the purple arrow.  I believe you are picking one option too high (the third option above 90 days (Online), not the second option).  It contains flashing red text on the right-hand side and black text on the left side.  Specifically, it matches the name in Thai given in step 2.  From your screen-print, it looks like you picked one option above the correct one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it, just in case. I should have probably printed out a copy. I suppose I can log back in and print one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you again for your quick response.

That screen shot is the result after clicking green marked icon below. I think this is the right icon.
And also, I accessed the URL on that PDF.
http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/
It showed,
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /notify/ on this server.

Something wrong. Is it my personal computer only ?
Please give me advice.
 

Untitled.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XD1 at Phuket said:

Thank you again for your quick response.

That screen shot is the result after clicking green marked icon below. I think this is the right icon.
And also, I accessed the URL on that PDF.
http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/
It showed,
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /notify/ on this server.

Something wrong. Is it my personal computer only ?
Please give me advice.
 

Untitled.jpg

You are quite right, there has been a change.  My apologies XD1 at Phuket!  You are selecting the correct choice.  It appears the access point to the registration system has changed (or at least the one I used successfully before).  I can no longer use my UserID/Password that worked before.  I'm investigating now.  Just wanted you to know that you weren't doing anything wrong.  It would have worked a few weeks ago ;-)  I will try to create a new account and report back on the results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XD1 at Phuket said:

Thank you again for your quick response.

That screen shot is the result after clicking green marked icon below. I think this is the right icon.
And also, I accessed the URL on that PDF.
http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/
It showed,
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /notify/ on this server.

Something wrong. Is it my personal computer only ?
Please give me advice.
 

Untitled.jpg

It says the system is down currently when I just tried it. Actually it says the system works, but it does look like they changed something. I can't find my registration now.

Edited by Jimi007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm afraid the news is bad.  It looks like it is only available to businesses (which was not true of the previous system documented above).  It looks like you need to register at the agency, which I take to mean the Immigration Office.  It looks like it might be possible to do so online, but it looks like you would have to submit documentation to prove that you have a business (business licence, etc.).  So I'm afraid we're back to where we started, online address registration and reporting is not currently supported except for businesses.  Maybe that will change in the future, but for now it looks like submitting the TM-30 directly to immigration is the only way for non-businesses to report foreigners who stay at their address.  This would, of course, also be the case for self-reporting (the foreign owner of a condo unit, for example, reporting that they are staying at that address).  It seemed too good to be true that we would be allowed to report our addresses online ;-)

I guess I could try to get my condo management to apply for an address registration account and then they could allow the owners of the condo units to use it to report themselves and any other foreigners staying in the unit they own.  I think that would be a challenge (a quest worthy of Don Quixote!)  and I may take it up when I get back from a trip I am planning to take outside of Thailand.  When I get back from that trip I plan to visit immigration on the way home from the airport and file an updated TM-30 to notify I'm back in my usual residence.  Well, it's not the end of the world, but it sure would have been nice to be able to do that from home.  Immigration would in either case be getting exactly the same information, but it would have been much more convenient for the foreigner complying with this regulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

It says the system is down currently when I just tried it. Actually it says the system works, but it does look like they changed something. I can't find my registration now.

Well, I think what happened is that we used a system that was being trialled/tested and now that the trial/test is over, they are refering people back to the "real" address registration system which requires you to register with the immigration office and supply evidence of your business (business license, etc.).  So, we are back in the same situation we were in before this trial/test system appeared. 

Unfortunate, but such is life. Maybe they will at some point actually implement a system or change the exisiting one such that it will be available to all people (regardless of their status of having a business or not) but that doesn't seem to be the case now.  I guess the fact that they bothered to conduct the trial/test at all is a good sign.  Let's hope so, but for right now I feel like Charlie Brown when he's sure that Lucy will really hold the football for him to kick this time, despite a long history of that not happening ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×