Tomato Sauce

tutsiwarrior

to make the sauce from scratch using Thai tomatoes?

outside of BKK tomato sauce is a scarce commodity but necessary for basic falang dishes like chilli wid beans, pizza and spagbog. There are plenty of toms available but how do you prepare them?...sumone said just blanch in hot water an' voila...but what?...do you then grind them, mash them, put them inna blender or what?...whaddaya do wid the skins an' de seeds?

cathy, are you with me?...fundamental falang cuisine is not served without tomato sauce...yeah, I know, heathen Thais don't eat stuff with tomatoes, but I gotta keep wid the falang faith...

Ms gorgon...weigh in with slow cooker sugestions, please...

Wash ur tomatoes and prepare a pot of boiling water.

When water is boiling throw tomatoes in that boiling pot for about 2 minutes, now tomatoes are very easy to peel. Cut in 1/4 and take out the seeds.

Now you have tomato concassee, pure tomato meat.

Heat up some olive oil and fry small cubes of onions and some garlic in it.

Add your tomatoes, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, bayleave and oregano.

Add some water and chicken/beef stock(cubes) and simmer untill tender and saucy.

Finish with a bit of vinegar and sugar and thicken with corn flour.

Gerd

Gerdy, that's too sophisticated.

Get the tomatoes. A lot. Squishy is ok. Cut them up, throw them in the rice cooker with chopped garlic, celery, oregano. Simmer, simmer, stir, mash. Add water or tomato juice. Let it "reduce." Voila, sauce.

How's the chili, tutsi?

just gettin' it on the go wid de new rice cooker...the cooker only has two settings 'cook' and 'warm'...can one expect extended cooking on the warm setting?

will cook da beans first then roll over and cook de toms...you don't peel or de-seed the toms for the sauce?

Get the tomatoes. A lot. Squishy is ok. Cut them up, throw them in the rice cooker with chopped garlic, celery, oregano. Simmer, simmer, stir, mash. Add water or tomato juice. Let it "reduce." Voila, sauce.

How's the chili, tutsi?

just gettin' it on the go wid de new rice cooker...the cooker only has two settings 'cook' and 'warm'...can one expect extended cooking on the warm setting?

will cook da beans first then roll over and cook de toms...you don't peel or de-seed the toms for the sauce?

That's what I said:

You have to peel them and take the seeds out, otherwise your sauce gets bitter.

(Chef) Gerd

How's the chili, tutsi?

Ya, just press the cook button. If it shuts off to warm and you are not finished, add some water or shut down for ten minutes and reboot to get back to cook mode.

Gerd says you should get rid of the skins and seeds from the tomatoes when you make sauce. Better follow his advice as he knows his biz and the sauce should taste better.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

For Italian style sauce remember:

Skin and de-seed toms to remove bitterness

• Virgin olive oil
  • Fresh garlic
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Black and/or Red pepper
  • Tinned tomato paste
  • Alcohol (absoluely essential*)

optional

• Ground carrot
  • Minced onion
  • Meat drippings

This is based upon my Grandmother's time tested Italian immigrant recipe

*Red Wine, Whiskey or even Beer. Tomatos contain flavour components (isoflavones) that can only be liberated in the presence of alcohol. Add the wine during the simmer portion of the cooking and let it cook off.

Edited by Nam Plah

• Virgin olive oil
  • Fresh garlic
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Tinned tomato paste

optional

• Ground carrot
  • Minced onion
  • Meat drippings

*Red Wine, Whiskey or even Beer. Tomatos contain flavour components (isoflavones) that can only be liberated in the presence of alcohol. Add the wine during the simmer portion of the cooking and let it cook off.

Now that sounds great.

Personally I can't see Toot's problem, I live in Chiang Rai which is about as far as you can get from BKK and Big C, Top and Macro all have Heinz.

• Virgin olive oil
  • Fresh garlic
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Tinned tomato paste

optional

• Ground carrot
  • Minced onion
  • Meat drippings

Now that sounds great.

Personally I can't see Toot's problem, I live in Chiang Rai which is about as far as you can get from BKK and Big C, Top and Macro all have Heinz.

suphan is a classic case of 'so close but so far', ye wanna drive to BKK 1.5 hours away an' you got the world at yer feet...otherwise you ain't got shit...aisles an' ailses ob cooking oil and instant noodles but nothin' else...reminds me ob supermarkets in Nicaragua under the US embargo...

I've had to buy a lot of equipment to make my own basic falang food ingredients like ground beef and tomato sauce...the folks at tesco can't be arsed to stock them...thais don't eat the stuff...well, I CAN'T EAT THEIR FCUKIN' CAT FOOD EITHER...hence the hassle...

thailand is supposed to be a place of wonderful cuisine...it ain't...the authentic stuff I wouldn't give to an animal...

gimme a cheeseburger...(Steve Miller Band from Livin' in the USA)

Ha Ha Ha, Thank you, for your comments you gave me a real laugh.

But you shouldn't sugar coat it, how do you really feel about Thai food ( cat food)? Ha Ha Ha!

Jim :o

"I CAN'T EAT THEIR FCUKIN' CAT FOOD EITHER...hence the hassle...

thailand is supposed to be a place of wonderful cuisine...it ain't...the authentic stuff I wouldn't give to an animal...

"

• Virgin olive oil
  • Fresh garlic
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Tinned tomato paste

optional

• Ground carrot
  • Minced onion
  • Meat drippings

Now that sounds great.

suphan is a classic case of 'so close but so far', ye wanna drive to BKK 1.5 hours away an' you got the world at yer feet...otherwise you ain't got shit...aisles an' ailses ob cooking oil and instant noodles but nothin' else...reminds me ob supermarkets in Nicaragua under the US embargo...

I've had to buy a lot of equipment to make my own basic falang food ingredients like ground beef and tomato sauce...the folks at tesco can't be arsed to stock them...thais don't eat the stuff...well, I CAN'T EAT THEIR FCUKIN' CAT FOOD EITHER...hence the hassle...

Toots that's the bravest thing I've ever heard an expat say, the rest of the forum will now arrive in white hoods and take you out and hang you from the nearest Durian tree. That's blasphemy, were supposed to LOVE Thai food. Those grimy bowls of pigs testicles in volcano sauce at the street stalls are supposed to be to die for, and I've known a few people that ######ing have too.

I too cook for myself, my wife had a few problems with this early in our relationship but I'm a better Farang cook than her. This year I'm bringing a bread machine over, I've seen bread flour in Macro but the bread at Big C is still not bad anyway.