Bangna Skywalk

utalkin2me

Is there an article or some other information about the skywalk they are building in bangna? It seems a little out of place but I read somewhere they may be planning on putting a transportation hub somewhere down there near bitec. Any truth to that. I live down here and the skywalk is currently being constructed. It’s cool and all but I honestly can’t ever imagine using it, unless I’m missing something. 

Hard to figure.  Supposedly,  Bangkok's largest mall is to be built at the intersection of Sukhumvit and the BangNa-Trad highway but it seems very slow getting off the ground.  It appears a significant amount of demolition remains to be done before ground is even broken.

The walkway would serve passengers from Udom Suk BTS going to and from the mall but it is unusual to build something like that so far in advance.  Perhaps it is intended for some other purpose as well. 

Time will tell.

Mega BangNa hasn't stopped expanding since the day it opened.  That corridor is becoming a manufacturing megalopolis with an expanding population of people with money to spend.  Big as Mega is, go there on a Saturday or Sunday and the place is packed.

Who was it who said: "Build it and they will come."?

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Hard to figure.  Supposedly,  Bangkok's largest mall is to be built at the intersection of Sukhumvit and the BangNa-Trad highway but it seems very slow getting off the ground.  It appears a significant amount of demolition remains to be done before ground is even broken.

The walkway would serve passengers from Udom Suk BTS going to and from the mall but it is unusual to build something like that so far in advance.  Perhaps it is intended for some other purpose as well. 

Time will tell.

Thanks. I was wondering why there was no info so I suppose there just isn’t any. 

Yeah the signs for the outdoor mall have been up for three years I believe, and it looks the same now as it did three years ago. 

A story earlier this year said the Transport Co. was going to move Ekamai bus station services to the intersection of Bang Na Trad, roughly where the (non-existent) Bangkok Mall is. I cannot link to the article in The Other Newspaper. So connecting the vast intersection overhead for pedestrians might be part of the phase-in. 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, dddave said:

Supposedly,  Bangkok's largest mall is to be built at the intersection of Sukhumvit and the BangNa-Trad highway but it seems very slow getting off the ground.  It appears a significant amount of demolition remains to be done before ground is even broken.

That other mall project was announced and promoted what seems like ages ago, now. And I've yet to see any significant sign of development activity even begin at that corner ever since.

But, what would be nice would be a skywalk connecting the BTS station with the BITEC corner on the other side of the Bangna Trad Highway....

On 3/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A story earlier this year said the Transport Co. was going to move Ekamai bus station services to the intersection of Bang Na Trad, roughly where the (non-existent) Bangkok Mall is. I cannot link to the article in The Other Newspaper. So connecting the vast intersection overhead for pedestrians might be part of the phase-in. 

Moving the NE bus station there and linking it to the BTS makes way to much sense for it to ever have a chance of happening. Link public transportation with a regional bus station? Seems to be an alien concept.  Lately I've noticed more and more provincial bus stations being moved from central urban locations to locations well out of town.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Doesn't Bangna qualify in that regard?

True but at least it is served with decent public transportation options:  BTS and many BMTA bus routes.  At many provincial stations, the only options are sarmlors and local songtaos which aren't easy to use if you don't know their routes.

20 hours ago, dddave said:

Moving the NE bus station there and linking it to the BTS makes way to much sense for it to ever have a chance of happening. Link public transportation with a regional bus station? Seems to be an alien concept.  Lately I've noticed more and more provincial bus stations being moved from central urban locations to locations well out of town.

It's not the NE bus terminal but the Eastern bus terminal at Ekkamai that will be moved there. Obviously, makes sense to get those buses and vans out of Sukhumvit. (The Northern and NE bus terminals at Mo Chit 2 will be moved north closer to Rangsit as the SRT needs the land back for a new depot). 

The Transport Company decided this 3 years ago but these things of course take a long time. They have purchased a block of land which is immediately adjacent to the huge Mall site on the east side.

The new Bus terminal will be linked eventually with the extension (either BTS or light rail) which will run from Bang Na intersection to the south side of the airport (once the new Terminal is done is 10 or so years). 

1 hour ago, Lakegeneve said:

The new Bus terminal will be linked eventually with the extension (either BTS or light rail) which will run from Bang Na intersection to the south side of the airport (once the new Terminal is done is 10 or so years). 

Sorry LG, help me understand here (recognizing that all these dates are at best projections):

How many years of a gap is there likely to be between the projected opening of the Rangsit area regional bus terminal (the successor to Mochit 2) and the arrival of a modern rail (BTS or light rail) connection to that location?

And is the future rail connection going to connect directly to the future bus station location, or be some distance away (you mention rail to the south side of DM Airport, which I'm guessing is some distance away from the Rangsit bus terminal location, if it's going to be near the mall)?

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sorry LG, help me understand here (recognizing that all these dates are at best projections):

How many years of a gap is there likely to be between the projected opening of the Rangsit area regional bus terminal (the successor to Mochit 2) and the arrival of a modern rail (BTS or light rail) connection to that location?

And is the future rail connection going to connect directly to the future bus station location, or be some distance away (you mention rail to the south side of DM Airport, which I'm guessing is some distance away from the Rangsit bus terminal location, if it's going to be near the mall)?

Perhaps some confusion caused because I didn't clearly distinguish between the two projects.

All of my response, save from the brief referral to a new N & NE terminal, was in relation to what will be the new Eastern Bus Terminal which will be located around 1km east of the Bang Na intersection (on the east side of the new Mall when it gets built). Thus, my reference to the south side of the airport is specific to BKK airport and what will end up being the new T3. Eventually to the airport, there will be the ARL, an APM linking the 3 terminals and this metro line from the south side along Bang Na-Trat rd  to T3.

In relation, to the relocation of Mo Chit 2 required so that the SRT can build a depot on that land (it is SRT land after all), it was originally planned to be done by 2016. However, a number of different options for a new site have been canvassed - near Rangsit, near Zeer north of DMK, even at Muang Thong Thani. However, more recently it was suggested that the new terminal would be built back at the old location at Mo Chit 1 - above the BTS depot. There's obvious traffic problems with this suggestion which should exclude it for much the same reason MTT was excluded. 

The land still most likely in the long run is located just south of Phahon yothin soi 87 which is the main soi to Rangsit Uni not too far from new Dark Red line Lak Hok station (located between DMK station and Rangsit stations). It is basically diagonally opposite north of Zeer. 

The Dark red line will finally open in 2020 so it will open well before any new bus terminal is built. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, edwardandtubs said:

So they've opened the Bangna-BITEC skywalk but any news on the Udom Suk-Bangna one? Last time I was in Bangkok work was still ongoing. 

They have got a cover on top now but they are still working on it, not open. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the skywalk just opened. The lights are on for the first time, and access seem to have opened up to everyone. 

Not surprisingly, nobody is walking on it. And I mean nobody, and it is rush hour. 

Maybe it is not open yet? But it looks like one gate i passed was open for access. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks. Good news for those living in nearby condos.

YEah, it really connects the area south of udom suk near bang na trat highway with bts. There have got to be some big plans for that area near bitec. Of coursr there is the seemingly stagnant "largest shopping mall in asia". And plans for a new bus station maybe? Then you got bitec. I see this area as growing quite a bit in the next ten years.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:09 PM, edwardandtubs said:

I don't know what you saw but it's definitely not open now.

Skywalk.jpg

It must close at 10pm(ish) or so? Thanks for the report. I am wondering if they are planning on having it open 24 hours soon? 

Here is a video I put together about it. Any corrections on the info given more than welcome. 

On 10/25/2018 at 11:04 PM, utalkin2me said:

YEah, it really connects the area south of udom suk near bang na trat highway with bts. There have got to be some big plans for that area near bitec. Of coursr there is the seemingly stagnant "largest shopping mall in asia". And plans for a new bus station maybe? Then you got bitec. I see this area as growing quite a bit in the next ten years.

I can foresee big plans for a few of the connected areas around this neck if the woods also as the sky train extends and more people relocate from downtown to more affordable condos and houses. 

Interesting times lay ahead 

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw that the skywalk extending north from about Piyarom Plaza with the Tesco and Mcdonald's is open.

So, as it stands now, I think the skywalk extends north from Bangna BTS to Udom Suk. Then there is a break until about Piyarom. I am not sure if this sections just opened? But I did walk on it, and it extends north to Punnawiti of course. It also is being currently directly connected to the condo being built just adjacent to the Mcdonald's. 

I have not even noticed if it extends north ot Punawiti?

Archived