How to tell if my remote gate opener is 330 Mhz or 433Mhz

Tagaa

I need to buy some replacement remotes for my gate. The Guy who installed it thinks I'm an idiot & wants 800 Bt each. I have found the same type on Lazada at 3 for 474 Bt.

The replacements are offered in 330 & 433 Mhz.

330 is the EU standard, in the US they are available either way.

I put a blurb from the sellers website into google translate & it says its 371.5 Mhz, which makes no sense to me.

How do I tell from the existing remote whether it's 330 or 433 Mhz? I've already disassembled the unit and there is no indication. The numbers on mine as well as the ones offered on Lazada are the same, except for the last 2 digits. All three have different numbers for the last 2 places. The number on my chip is SMC5326P-3PBA87CA47.

The image is of my remote, if it helps.

20180317_091214.jpg

How did I miss that? Perseverating on the chip I suppose.

If I was flying an Eastern Airlines jet over the Everglades I think I would have just crashed, focusing to hard on a stupid light.

Thanks.

Mods please close the topic. We're done.

So are the replacements for bad ones or ones you lost

I would be very careful of these guys 

Hope they weren't the ones that told you they were bad

I had an auto gate man tell me that I would need a new motor (he installed original )

So I checked with Google & found out all units have a reset switch. So I went out & held the tiny reset switch down for 5 sec, until the led's flashed & all ok 

So no 18,000 bht for him 

Around here, I'm considered the tech/PC/Windows guru, but I know practically nothing. No radio guru out here, I'm afraid, that I know of, anyway.

We had a problem with the gate as well, but the remotes are just to replace one that was lost/stolen and one that stopped working. I ordered 3 from Lazada for 474 Bt yesterday. They have 7 day return, so if they don't work, back they go.

Regarding the gate motor & circuit board, we had a lightening strike close by, Wednesday night, IIRC, and I'm guessing a power surge knocked out the gate head unit. The next morning, I opened up the unit, noted the LED lights on the board were on. I clicked the remote off & on & I could hear the relays click. I removed & carefully inspected the board...no visible damage top or bottom.  I assumed it was the motor.  So we called the "guy." He replaced the board and Viola, it worked. He hit me hard for the board, so I thought no more calls for you, rip off man. I located an identical G-10 board on Lazada (love/hate  them) so next time I have a failure I'll swap in a new board before I do anything else.

BEVUP - you mentioned a reset switch. I haven't noted one on out unit. Where is yours located?

I found it by accident

You wouldn't think it was one 

It looked just like part of the circuit board

It is just a tiny black button on top of a square item on the main circuit board 

I also had the leds on but one was off which stated "S1" 

I have a heavy duty motor from Italy & was also looking on the web for a board (as the gate man said they no have)  

5 hours ago, Tagaa said:

P1 is a plug for a limit switch. It does not appear there is a reset switch.

By the way, I did cycle it on & off prior to removal of the board.

I appreciate the advice.

Just for my curiosity P1 jumper says says NC one side , NO the other but appears to be in the middle. Unless it is a yes or no choice.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:24 PM, Tagaa said:

I need to buy some replacement remotes for my gate. The Guy who installed it thinks I'm an idiot & wants 800 Bt each.

Another thought? Does the OP know how much it costs for a new remote for a car? Thousands.  

I think it would have been easier to buy the 800 baht one the guy who installed the gate has a business to run and doesn't do it for free.  

On 3/19/2018 at 9:50 AM, VocalNeal said:

Another thought? Does the OP know how much it costs for a new remote for a car? Thousands.  

I think it would have been easier to buy the 800 baht one the guy who installed the gate has a business to run and doesn't do it for free.  

Well, here,s a thought.    I'm not buying a new remote for a car.

Business is all about giving the customer good service at reasonable price. He wants 800 Bt for one.  I told him I could buy them on line much cheaper. He said..."So go buy them on line." So...I did. I can buy 5 remotes from Lazada for what he wanted for one. That's 158 Bt each, and the guy selling them on Lazada is making money. We know his cost is LESS than 158...I'm gonna guess 100 BT or less. So in typical Thai fashion, when dealing with a farang, charge an outrageous price. Maybe he's stupid enough to pay it. Too bad for him that I know how to use the internet. Not only did he not sell an over priced remote, he lost a customer. Dealing with him left a bad taste in my mouth. So, I went to work & found 2 other shops that sell/service gate motors. If I need service again, I'm NOT calling him.

Look at it this way...the guy selling the remotes is = to Amazon. The guy selling the high priced remote = K Mart. K Mart is for all intents and purposes out of business. Jeff Bezos, the guy that started and is the CEO  of Amazon, Is the worlds richest man. Go figure.

image.png.d56b72435dfa82c09ab4c3a833ba5c82.png

Something important to remember (although it doesn't necessarily apply in Thailand) is that when you go to the dealer you're not just buying the hardware, you are buying the knowledge of selecting the correct hardware and how to make that hardware function.

Yes, the internet (including Thaivsa of course) is a wonderful source of information, but it takes time to find said information. If you put a price on your time (say a minimal $10 an hour) your research can soon rack up to greater than the cost of getting the man to supply and set up your new remotes.

And 800 baht a pop is still excessive, at 500 (delivered and installed) he may get a customer.

Let's see...it took about 10 minutes to go to Lazada, log in to my account, locate the item, save it to cart, choose payment method & check out. Kerry Delivery will bring them to my front door in a day or two. All told, about 15 minutes max. It will take me an additional 5 minutes to go to my tool box, retrieve the small screw driver set, remove the screws, remove the backing plate & reset the dip switches on a new remote. I'm happy to spend 20 minutes to save 642 Bt & have two spare remotes on the shelf (free) as stock spare parts.

All I can say is Somchai, the motorized gate guy, has lost a customer...for good. By the way, I have already order & received a replacement G-10 circuit board, again ordered from Lazada, to place on my shelf as stock spare parts. So next time the gate doesn't work, I'll be up and running in 10 minutes... max.

Again, Somchai's greed lit a fire under my butt & I now have no use of his services. If and when the motor goes Tango Uniform, I now know where I can get one of those as well (locally). In the meantime, I'm on the look out for a shop that can repair/rewind electric motors. I'll find one.  You can make book on that.

To follow up. The replacement G-10 board arrived a few days ago. I hooked it up to insure it was operable as I have a 7 day window to return it if it is defective. Works like a charm. 1900 Bt, not 4000 that Somchai charged.

By the way, while I had the unit apart, I hooked up the old, inoperable board, powered it up & R & I'd the jumper on the P1 limit switch plug. No affect - so it's not a reset option/button as was suggested it might be by a previous poster.

The replacement remotes arrived today. They include batteries and after setting the dip switches on all 3, they all work great. Cost 158 Bt each (474 for 3), not 800 each that Somchai the gate guy wanted. Savings 1926 Baht. I call that significant.

Bye Bye Somchai.

Great that you scored on the remotes and spare board, of course ThaiVisa was useful with the FREE knowledge transfer.

On 3/22/2018 at 7:37 AM, Tagaa said:

In the meantime, I'm on the look out for a shop that can repair/rewind electric motors. I'll find one.  You can make book on that.

If you're in Bangkok take a wander down to the Ban Mo area (Old Siam Plaza) there are places down there re-winding motors as small as Hatari fans, you're bound to score there.

3 hours ago, Tagaa said:

To follow up. The replacement G-10 board arrived a few days ago. I hooked it up to insure it was operable as I have a 7 day window to return it if it is defective. Works like a charm. 1900 Bt, not 4000 that Somchai charged.

By the way, while I had the unit apart, I hooked up the old, inoperable board, powered it up & R & I'd the jumper on the P1 limit switch plug. No affect - so it's not a reset option/button as was suggested it might be by a previous poster.

The replacement remotes arrived today. They include batteries and after setting the dip switches on all 3, they all work great. Cost 158 Bt each (474 for 3), not 800 each that Somchai the gate guy wanted. Savings 1926 Baht. I call that significant.

Bye Bye Somchai.

Very good Tagaa

By the way I'm far from being the expert

I can understand where your coming from

When i got the guy to install my motor from previous house (& I knew the gate sensor was gone ) He quoted 4000 for new & 2000 for old (Unfortunately I had to do it )

After that I spent hours trying to find on the net to no avail, but found the board but it looked like it didn't have the vertical plug in baord that the unit has

They are an utter disgrace knowing people will pay since the unit is obviously crap without the bits

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 2:37 PM, Tagaa said:

In the meantime, I'm on the look out for a shop that can repair/rewind electric motor

You are likely to find one in the local town, but if it is worth doing is very dependent on the motor. I have a planer/thicknessor which is old enough that there are few parts available so the 1,750 Baht to rewind the motor was a no brainier. With a water pump that went swimming it was cheaper to buy a new pump.

Sometimes it's not only the local Somchai who tries to cheat.

I have also noticed quite a few of farang service entrepreneurs settled in Thailand who have nothing to envy their local counterparts when it comes to ripping off, cheating and scamming farangs.

So beware not only of Somchai but also of Joe, the so-called expat friendly, farang handyman. The typical Joe, will come over, be suspiciously friendly, criticize the thais for doing bad jobs and mainly rant at those offering at a cheaper rate.

Compare, compare, get different estimates if like me you are a handyman dummy,  do your research on the net and with the money saved treat yourself to a lavish soapy LT !!

AliExpress also has very cheap (around $10) digital frequency detectors. You just press the transmit buton on your r/c and the frequency is displayed.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:04 PM, Tagaa said:

Bye Bye Somchai.

absolutely significant.   If you have the know-how, which obviously you do, I think it's always best to DIY.   I have a condo here, so not as much opportunity for repairs as with a house, but have repaired my range hood, faucets, AC maint., and have installed shelving among other little projects.  I enjoy that stuff, and have lots of time for this.   (Still trying to figure out why the door handles on my Schlage mortise locks cannot be removed after I unscrew the set screw, but guess that's for another topic.)

• 2 weeks later...

How about the security system in this gate opener when Realy every avalible online gate opener sending on same frequency can therorrtivly open any gate, then it would be possible for any thief entering a house or a garage easaly on some gates with weak security standards it sounds like it's possible but I think not for all when the security standard is higher
There are also devices avalible that can copy any signal in realtime of any door opener , but a newer today's latest Standard avalible security system should have like a checksum or more handshakes or how I should call it between the garage door and the sender itself and cannot open so easily

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 2:29 AM, Sandman77 said:

How about the security system in this gate opener when Realy every avalible online gate opener sending on same frequency can therorrtivly open any gate, then it would be possible for any thief entering a house or a garage easaly on some gates with weak security standards it sounds like it's possible but I think not for all when the security standard is higher
There are also devices avalible that can copy any signal in realtime of any door opener , but a newer today's latest Standard avalible security system should have like a checksum or more handshakes or how I should call it between the garage door and the sender itself and cannot open so easily

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

I'm not sure where you are coming from.

The electric motor for the gate is for my convenience...not really security.

The gate keeps the locals from wandering in and around the property & looking in the windows. It also keeps the soi dogs out. But it's not going to keep out anyone that wants to break in. Neither will a 2 meter high wall.

Also, I doubt seriously any local villager would have the electronics available to him to scan & copy our gate code. If he did, he wouldn't have to cut the grass that grows on the roadside to feed his cows.

Archived