More Wi-Fi hotspots for Phuket as plan to tag tourists mulled

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robbed ? No but these networks can track people and vehicles in real time from camera to camera. A lot of work has been carried out to map sounds to crime based events. The output from people counting cameras with a very high accuracy can be mapped to wifi signal volumes to map crowd movements. Crowd movements can be mapped to economic models to forecast income from organised events. Vehicle monitoring information will be mapped to automated vehicles ( in the future ) so that for instance your vehicle will automatically find you a parking space. Plus a lot more ...

Just now, hobz said:

I bet the chineese tourists would have no problem with this as they live under an oppressive regime for a long time already.. everybody else will not like it.

If it is implemented correctly you wont even know it is there ..

>>>>>>  April fools day start early this year :sad:

No its not a mistake, any one of the corporations like Hitachi, NEC, GE can provide the technology for the network including intelligent cameras, the IOT routers and hubs etc.  Big data companies can provide the processing and storage hubs for any number of cities, not just one.  If the Thai goverment has the funds then a project like this can start, but they need to do the research. The only mistake that Thai officials have made is that they will need to tag the tourists with wrist bands. That is not necessary.

Wrist band that can be removed? Or are we talking lock and key type shat where my limbs will need to be removed as an actual criminal will need to not give up the location of my body? Great! 

Im sure there'll be a crazy psycho collector of bands somewhere in the foreseeable future. 

Hopefully i can just attatch it to a soi dog that mind you probably should have them.

All this is insane and the only way the government can hold back change thats desperately needed i guess. Thais arent smart enough to see things for what they are so farang need to shut up, be detered from coming for a long enough spell to see the level of corruption but still spend. Considering that i guess its pretty smart then.

The amount of lawlessness by thais clearly outweighs a few bad egg tourists. Seems the government is just too scared to inflict a law on its own people but tourists who have been brought up to respect others and be polite are to easily fleeced so i wouldnt be surprised if something like this will happen one day.

Knowing how smart the tech people here are i would guess a couple magnets would render it useless anyway.

On a serious note though this is quite literally insane and shows crystally clear the mentality of the government here. Boycotts, sanctions, civilwars, etc, etc is where this countries headed. 

19 hours ago, Maverell said:

'develop the uses of wristbands to track tourists '

I can see it now - as the planes arrive and you go through immigration you get a stamp and a wristband, then when you leave you don't get out unless you hand back your wristband or pay a fine.....

Can't see the idea going down to well however 'well intentioned'.

Well intentioned? 

Excuse me but I don't see how wearing a wrist band that tracks your movement at all beneficial to preventing crime against tourists. About the only benefit to any tourist would be after the fact and the thousands forced to wear them will never return. 

However your comment about paying fines seems more accurate. If I got handed a wrist tracker upon arrival it would be lost as soon as I left the airport.  Fine or no time..  Nobody wants their every move tracked and followed.  

They day ANY government which affects where I live pushes to put a chip into my body, or track me and my data with something as a wristband, is the day I check out. 

It is already pretty much compulsory that you have a smartphone, email address and bank account to function in todays world, as well as a passport. I hope in the near future we don't all need chips in our brains too. The frog in boiling water analogy speaks volumes, slowly change things over time so the masses do not freak out 

They really do view tourists as some kind of dumb sub species that will do anything to come to here. I absolutely dare them to spend the billions to roll this white elephant out! They will soon find out (as they do everytime) that it will be a dismal failure! By the time they get anywhere close to it there will be several administration changes and no interest.

They truly can come up with the most idiotic ideas on the planet bar none! 

16 hours ago, YetAnother said:

the large majority of thais cannot tell real tourists from us longstay expats; to those thai, anyone not thai is a tourist

I would say stop wearing cargo shorts and ugly t-shirts. Slacks, natty shirt, that will set  you apart from the tourists. After all, if you live in Thailand you don't have to walk around in the sun all day.

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

This was proposed about 4 or 5 years ago.  It was put back in the box as the powers that realised the impact on tourism would cause a wave of unemployment that would impact even Bangkok. Lets hope they get the same message.

An idea first suggested (and quickly dropped!) by TAT for all tourists to Thailand, if I recall correctly.

Presumably the instigator of this 'latest' idea doesn't know about the same, earlier, suggested and rejected idea?....

19 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

They cant be serious right?

Two weeks too early for an April Fools joke but then many Thais can't read nor write and they have a very sketchy grasp of anything technical like telling the time or managing a calendar

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Good idea. The next step should be to micro chip all long term expats.

Only applies to legal long term expats who keep their respective visas current and do the right thing. Those ten of thousands of overstayers who roam the country freely and engage in nefarious practices would be exempt.

Archived