Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 July 2019 10:19

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Chiang Mai ranked sixth worst for air pollution globally

Recommended Posts

Chiang Mai ranked sixth worst for air pollution globally

By The Nation

 

815b4481deef879c9ace6b7d09cf7f4a.jpeg

Chiang Mai

 

Air pollution in the North continues to be critical, with small dust particles of 2.5 microns in size (PM2.5) exceeding safe limits at almost every air-quality testing station.

 

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) revealed on Sunday that although PM2.5 levels had dropped from the previous day at almost every station, the amounts were still higher than safe standards. 

 

On average, the amount of PM2.5 in the North ranged between 48 and 91 micrograms per cubic metre of air during the 24-hour period.

 

For safety reasons, the amount of PM2.5 should not exceed 50mg per cubic metres of air, according to Thai health authorities.

 

420f08c17c2ba5310dad373684a93ac3.jpeg

 

In Chiang Mai’s Muang district, air quality tests revealed the amount of PM2.5 ranged between 86mg and 91mg.

 

Regarding PM10 particles, tests showed there were between 64mg and 140mg throughout the North. The stated safe limit for PM10 is 120mg and levels registered within the stated limit except in Tak’s Mae Sot district, where up to 140mg was detected. 

 

The PCD urged relevant authorities to quickly address air pollution by controlling burning in open areas. People were asked to not burn their garbage, farm detritus or fallen leaves. 

 

“If there is thick smog, avoid going outdoors,” the department advised. “If you really need to go out, wear masks.” 

 

The statement added that people who were developing health problems linked to smog should see a doctor. 

 

286c11654225388581ffb949c7542ed0.jpeg

 

According to the Air Visual app, which monitors air quality around the world, Chiang Mai ranked sixth worst in the world in terms of air pollution, according by US Air Quality Index. 

 

It ranks just Nepal’s Kathmandu, India’s New Delhi, Pakistan’s Lahore, Bangladesh’s Dhaka and India’s Kolkata.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand/30341186

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for the spin...

 

Thailand declared 189th Best Air Quality in the world. PM Prayut acknowledges the governments progress.

 

I love it up in CM in November...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai ranked sixth worst for air pollution globally

Another world ranking under-achievement for the Prayut military government. I know a lot of the pollution comes from neighbouring countries burn-off but a lot of it also comes from within Thailand and Prayut could use his Article 44 to help minimise that. If he felt inclined that is.

 

Thailand 1st in world road deaths

Thailand 1st in world motorcycle deaths

Thailand 5th in world sea polluters.

Thailand 6th in world air pollution

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

For safety reasons, the amount of PM2.5 should not exceed 50mg per cubic metres of air, according to Thai health authorities.

i don't trust them; what are the international standards ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

On average, the amount of PM2.5 in the North ranged between 48 and 91 micrograms per cubic metre of air during the 24-hour period.

too general to be of any real value, each area's characteristics vary widely;  sure the absolute numbers are important however what about the relative numbers ? year on year, getting better or worse (my guess) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Another world ranking under-achievement for the Prayut military government. I know a lot of the pollution comes from neighbouring countries burn-off but a lot of it also comes from within Thailand and Prayut could use his Article 44 to help minimise that. If he felt inclined that is.

 

Thailand 1st in world road deaths

Thailand 1st in world motorcycle deaths

Thailand 5th in world sea polluters.

Thailand 6th in world air pollution

 

Are there any countries with more rabies infected soidogs on the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand - number one for the number of resident expatriates who bash their chosen country of residence...hmm, what's wrong with that picture I wonder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to think that expats actually choose to live in that lung busting environment mainly because of cheap rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

And to think that expats actually choose to live in that lung busting environment mainly because of cheap rent.

Really, is that why they do it, are you sure?

 

And, since you've never visited CM before can I assume you won't be visiting in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Thian said:

Thailand 1st in world road deaths

Thailand 1st in world motorcycle deaths

Thailand 5th in world sea polluters.

Thailand 6th in world air pollution

And to each topic we hear: "the situation is under control".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Really, is that why they do it, are you sure?

 

And, since you've never visited CM before can I assume you won't be visiting in the future?

I'm absolutely 100% positive. Chang mai is THE number one destination for broke pensioners.Booked a month last year and was out in 3 weeks. Either you die of lung disease or you die of boredom...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i don't trust them; what are the international standards ?

The €U has its limit at 25uG - half of the Thai limit. If I remeber correctly, 25uG is also the WHO limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

And to think that expats actually choose to live in that lung busting environment mainly because of cheap rent.

Probably as its number one for availability of hookers too ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

I'm absolutely 100% positive. Chang mai is THE number one destination for broke pensioners.Booked a month last year and was out in 3 weeks. Either you die of lung disease or you die of boredom...

Hmm, interesting.

 

FWIW I don't see lots of broke pensioners but I do see lots of twenty/ thirty-something-year-old Western backpackers hitchhiking on the road between Chiang Mai and further North, people who apparently can't afford the bus fare! And on the rare occasion I drive through the centre of CM see mostly very similar, I see them in supermarkets buying food for dinner and in the 7/11's buying cheap beer. OK so they're young and they're tourists, I have no difficulty with them doing those things although hitchhiking is seriously borderline.

 

As for broke pensioners: hand on heart I don't know any and I can't say that I've seen many that would make me think, hmm, he looks down and out. But I do know quite a lot of Westerners who spend most of their time in the local areas, away from the tourists and who live in some very nice houses and all seem to have ample pension or investment income. I've been here for 16 years and the chances you'd bump into me are almost zero because I won't go near anywhere that tourists hang out.

 

Finally boredom: it's true there's only a couple of go-go bars here and the number of beer bars has reduced dramatically, people who want those things go to Pattaya, thankfully Chiang Mai is not about those things and that reflects in the type of tourists who come here.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

The €U has its limit at 25uG - half of the Thai limit. If I remeber correctly, 25uG is also the WHO limit.

You do not remember correctly! 

 

The WHO has a much hoped for guideline which is a target, currently, over 92% of all countries exceed that guideline by a substantial margin including London on a regular basis.http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs313/en/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...