Chiang Mai ranked sixth worst for air pollution globally

webfact

2 hours ago, ikwiljou said:
AQI Air Pollution Level Air Pollution
Category
Health Implications Recommended Precautions
0–50 Level 1 Excellent No health implications. Everyone can continue their outdoor activities normally.
51–100 Level 2 Good Some pollutants may slightly affect very few hypersensitive individuals. Only very few hypersensitive people should reduce outdoor activities.
101–150 Level 3 Lightly Polluted Healthy people may experience slight irritations and sensitive individuals will be slightly affected to a larger extent. Children, seniors and individuals with respiratory or heart diseases should reduce sustained and high-intensity outdoor exercises.
151–200 Level 4 Moderately Polluted Sensitive individuals will experience more serious conditions. The hearts and respiratory systems of healthy people may be affected. Children, seniors and individuals with respiratory or heart diseases should avoid sustained and high-intensity outdoor exercises. General population should moderately reduce outdoor activities.
201–300 Level 5 Heavily Polluted Healthy people will commonly show symptoms. People with respiratory or heart diseases will be significantly affected and will experience reduced endurance in activities. Children, seniors and individuals with heart or lung diseases should stay indoors and avoid outdoor activities. General population should reduce outdoor activities.
>300 Level 6 Severely Polluted Healthy people will experience reduced endurance in activities and may also show noticeably strong symptoms. Other illnesses may be triggered in healthy people. Elders and the sick should remain indoors and avoid exercise. Healthy individuals should avoid outdoor activities. Children, seniors and the sick should stay indoors and avoid physical exertion. General population should avoid outdoor activities.

Source??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

And to each topic we hear: "the situation is under control".

"Under control" - surely an oxymoron!

If, by any means a stretch of the imagination, it was under control the authorities would still have no idea or will to improve the situation. Seemingly bereft of any critical thinking. Same same as all the other major problems.

22 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"Under control" - surely an oxymoron!

If, by any means a stretch of the imagination, it was under control the authorities would still have no idea or will to improve the situation. Seemingly bereft of any critical thinking. Same same as all the other major problems.

Do not forget...BURNING IS FORBIDDEN BY LAW TILL 31/03/2018....

3 hours ago, Phaser said:

And WHAT is the government doing about this?? I guess nothing (again) because to do something and stop burning it would break someone's rice bowl....amazing how people in Thailand usually come last. 

People are doing this to themselves. The government can at best protect the people from themselves but why should they care if the people don't. All the Thai's here I know are apathetic to problem and just wait it out every year. If I bring it up they just change the topic or tell me to calm down and don't worry so much.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You do not remember correctly! 

The WHO has a much hoped for guideline which is a target, currently, over 92% of all countries exceed that guideline by a substantial margin including London on a regular basis.http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs313/en/

Well, depends on which limit you're looking at. We're talking daily values (WHO <= 25uG), and not the yearly average (WHO <= 10uG). No idea what the yearly average value for Chiang Mai is - hopefully not higher!

I am about 100m from the sea shore here in Khao Takiab (south Hin Hin.) Nice strong on shore breeze today so the air is clean today.

But when the wind blows from the direction of China, the air becomes filthy.

Anyway, I think I will go get bit by a rabid monkey or run down like a dog on my scooter after I take a shower in the filthy water that smells like rotten eggs. 

6 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I'm absolutely 100% positive. Chang mai is THE number one destination for broke pensioners.Booked a month last year and was out in 3 weeks. Either you die of lung disease or you die of boredom...

i live here and could live any where in the world, i am from Bervely Hills, Malibu. love it for 7 months.  Malibu, Beverly Hills sucks.  plastic people, soul less. Hollywood is great if you are a 20 something. but you grow out of that, besides it will never be as fun as it was in the 70's. gone to hell now.

so bored in CM but only boring people get bored. 

1 minute ago, edwarda909 said:

Recommendations where in CM one can purchase a good air polluton mask, not just the common surgical mask?

Home Pro has N95 masks here in Hua Hin. Not sure about CM.

N95 is what you need.

3 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i live here and could live any where in the world, i am from Bervely Hills Malibu. love it for 7 months.  Malibu, Beverly Hills sucks.  plastic people, soul less. Hollywood is great if you are a 20 something. but you grow out of that, besides it will never be as fun as it was in the 70's. gone to hell now.

so bored in CM but only boring people get bored. 

i am from Hollywood and Malibu also. and marina del ray and Manhattan beach. All very boring now. clean and perfect.

Coffee Bean in downtown Malibu next to Nobu. My favorite sushi.

I gave it all up to hang in Hua Hin like Our Man Flint.

And I was right there in Malibu in 1971 when you could buy a house for $100,000 on the beach.

Anyway back to filthy Thailand.

6 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I'm absolutely 100% positive. Chang mai is THE number one destination for broke pensioners.Booked a month last year and was out in 3 weeks. Either you die of lung disease or you die of boredom...

tell that to Marc Faber, your obviously ignorant.  been to Rimping Market lately?  seen the wine selection?

7 hours ago, Thian said:

Are there any countries with more rabies infected soidogs on the world?

Since Thailand is the only country with sois, they've got everywhere else beat when it comes to rabid soidogs. With rabid dogs in general though, India is far ahead of the pack. 

7 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

And to think that expats actually choose to live in that lung busting environment mainly because of cheap rent.

Lived there for over ten years and loved it.  The pollution got worse every year but we just went travelling when it got bad.  However once our son reached proper school age and going travelling interfered with school time we moved.  It isn't rocket science.

3 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Well, depends on which limit you're looking at. We're talking daily values (WHO <= 25uG), and not the yearly average (WHO <= 10uG). No idea what the yearly average value for Chiang Mai is - hopefully not higher!

In terms of yearly average Chiang Mai doesn't fall within the 11 most cities in the world.

http://readnlove.com/11-polluted-cities-world/

For Chiang Mai according to Greenpeace’s city ranking statistics downloaded from the Pollution Control Department’s Monitoring Station, the concentration of PM2.5 was:

2014                        34mgcm per annum

2015                        34mgcm per annum

2016 (Jan.-May)    55mgcm

https://greenpeace.or.th/s/right-to-clean-air/PM2.5CityRankingsREV.pdf

2017 (Jan.-Jun.)    39mgcm

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/khon-kaen-saraburi-worst-air-pollution-greenpeace/

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Thailand - number one for the number of resident expatriates who bash their chosen country of residence...hmm, what's wrong with that picture I wonder!

Nobodys bashing, just stating true facts, no point in Painting this as the promised Land, despite its faults some people choose to reside here yes, thats up to them.

1 hour ago, Acemaker said:

Nobodys bashing, just stating true facts, no point in Painting this as the promised Land, despite its faults some people choose to reside here yes, thats up to them.

I was responding to post number 3 which was extreme bashing, so much so the poster had to exaggerate most of his points to get the maximium effect from his bash! Pathetic and odd.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

Are there any countries with more rabies infected soidogs on the world?

Actually, Thailand and CM are not even close on the world stage of PM2.5 pollution, at least in terms of the yearly average levels.  That doesn't mean Thailand or CM is good, just, that it's not year-round like some other places.

The numbers in the chart below are micrograms of PM2.5, not AQI numbers. And the chart is keyed to the daily average of that city for the past year/365 days.

5aaf9fef76d41_2018-03-1918_31_34.jpg.b3623b63d5d3afb28816cf4d348d4444.jpg

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/CityAverageList.php

Here's a good overview of CM from the same site:

5aafa4318e466_2018-03-1918_50_23.jpg.6140750fd24bd158bf91806b71b06a02.jpg

And here's how CM fares in terms of complying with world standards:

5aafa42eabc88_2018-03-1918_50_05.jpg.674bcd0abe69f96b3e2fe07e5256c6a4.jpg

And how Bangkok fares via the same compliance standards:

5aafa4b5965ca_2018-03-1918_53_01.jpg.3b5e8f94cb21724aa29a712328a40d06.jpg

Pretty close together, though I think CM tends to have some higher highs during the bad season.  CM gets killed by Feb March April.

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's a good overview of CM from the same site:

5aafa4318e466_2018-03-1918_50_23.jpg.6140750fd24bd158bf91806b71b06a02.jpg

And here's how CM fares in terms of complying with world standards:

5aafa42eabc88_2018-03-1918_50_05.jpg.674bcd0abe69f96b3e2fe07e5256c6a4.jpg

And how Bangkok fares via the same compliance standards:

5aafa4b5965ca_2018-03-1918_53_01.jpg.3b5e8f94cb21724aa29a712328a40d06.jpg

Pretty close together, though I think CM tends to have some higher highs during the bad season.

It looks like the seasonal migration north to Chiang Mae for cooler winter is badly offset by pollution.

I was amazed when I looked at those daily average PM2.5 numbers for Chinese cities. They're killing their own people, slowly, or not so slowly.

With those kind of PM2.5 numbers, after a hard day at work, the typical resident probably heads home and lights up a cigarette once they arrive -- just to have a breath of "fresher" air!!!

Archived