Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

29216198_2075448839392378_6746059678188306432_n.jpg

Picture: Facebook 191phetchaburi

A British man is in a coma having suffered multiple serious injuries after being involved in an accident while riding a motorcycle in Hua Hin.

Mark Haley, 56, from Borehamwood suffered fractures to his spine and pelvis, as well as broken ribs and a collapsed right lung after he was hit from behind by a car on Friday morning (16 March), at the u-turn on Phetkasem Road opposite the entrance to Palm Hills.

29214780_2075447209392541_2054283763914899456_n.jpg

Picture: Facebook 191phetchaburi

He is currently on a ventilator in intensive care where his condition is described as stable but critical.

Mr Haley now needs to be flown by helicopter from hospital to Bangkok for further treatment.

However, he does not have any travel insurance or sufficient funds to be be able to pay for the treatment he needs.

Mr Haley’s family told the Borehamwood Times that his treatment has already cost almost 400,000 baht.

But now his family in the UK are appealing for help to raise money to help pay for the additional treatment and have set up a Go Fund Me page.

"Apart from your thoughts and prayers, at this point in time, this fundraising effort is the best way you can help Mark. Anything you can give will help to alleviate some of the financial pressure that has inevitably resulted from this tragic accident," the page reads.

“Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand and the severity of his injuries, he must be transferred by helicopter, at a cost of Thai Bhat 200,000 (£4,500), and to commence treatment the cost will be over Thai Bhat 1,000,000 (£23,000).

“Unfortunately he didn't take out travel insurance for his trip and as a family we are struggling to raise the funds to cover the transfer and his initial and on-going treatment.

“We've set up this fundraising page in the hope that we can raise funds so his treatment can commence as a matter of urgency”.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-19

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, retell said:

and the car that hit him?? surely the driver would be responsible , 

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

20 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what happens if he cannot pay ?

Based on very recent experience with a friend while we were riding through  Korat the hospital will be getting him stabilised and at the same time the admissions team will be determining if he has insurance and if so will be contacting the insurance company. 

If he doesnt have insurance they will get him stabilised and then he will be given minimal level of care to keep his vitals going. The family will be contacted ( if they cant then the embassy) and money will be sought for further treatment. No money. No more expensive treatment.

My friend was fully insured so the Bangkok Hospital in Korat took care of him in a world class manner.

This is stuff is rough. On the one hand, this guy a total moron for not taking out travel insurance. On the other hand, you can't help but feel bad this guy's family. I try and imagine something like this happening to one of my brothers. I'd also try and do everything in my power to get them the help they need... I'd use my own money for sure. If that's not enough? Beg for money online maybe?

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

Why is the driver not held accountable financially whether he has insurance or not? Yes the Brit was wrong not to have insurance but the cause of the problem is the other driver....

it's called accountability for your behavior/mistakes...

what's  the point then of having insurance if you're not liable for not having it?

so tired of hearing oh well TIT

8 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.

I think another  issue  is  that folks  from the West simply dont realise the sheer  stupidity of Thai drivers, their ability to  pull out  for no reason, gawk at the phone do the most unbelievable things, they maybe think that common sense  will protect them, they have to understand a large percentage of the Thai population simply have none.

Travel insurance really isnt that expensive if he was on a 2-3-4  week  holiday no excuse, long term health insurance especially with age often is ,and often unavailable at a sane price

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

If you hit another vehicle from the back you're guilty in Thailand.

Was that car which hit him not insured?

Are  you sure?? so Im going down a 3  lane road in the outside  lane  and Somchai Knievel decides to pull out from the inside lane thru the fast lane to u turn without  looking, no lights, no signal ,  3 am, drunk, no licence, no insurance etc etc Ok an extreme example but I beg to differ  that the  car will be responsible.

24 minutes ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

I don't quite understand where being hit from behind makes him stupid....not a very fair statement?

35 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another "I'm not insured, please pay for my stupidity for not taking it out" 

He was hit from behind, he is the victim, the person who committed the crime should be made to pay. 

1 minute ago, woody622954 said:

Most UK travel insurance excludes claiming if riding a motorcycle.

Comes under dangerous sports.

Agreed, I always shop around to make sure my insurance covers motorbikes although only up to 125cc and only if I'm legal to ride.

:)

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

However, he does not have any travel insurance or sufficient funds to be be able to pay for the treatment he needs.

He was hit from behind.... why is the person who hit him not responsible, or that person's insurance?

Mr Haley and family. Sell everything you have to save his life. He is worth it don't you think? If not do not start a go fund me page. Makes you look like a bunch of <deleted> taking money from others because you do not care enough to do what it takes to take care of your own family. 

Not much information on whether the motorbike was performing some type of unexpected maneuver. Such as suddenly cutting across all lanes to make the U-turn. Not nearly enough information to place blame

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Maybe it would be time to read a book about Thailand. :cheesy:

I know how it works here, i have ridden 100,000 + km in Asia, mainly Thailand. I could write the book, no need to read it. My point is the system is corrupt and needs to be changed.

“Due to the poor condition of the roads in Thailand"

Why the constant need to attack Thailand when they're begging for money? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the condition of Thai roads, they're actually very, very good, better than many western countries. The Somchai's driving on them are another matter but that's beside the point. 

I see sad problems happen almost every day with many westerners coming to Thailand  and starting to ride a motorcycle for their very first time.

We have all lost count of the number of times this has happened with regular tragic results.

Most people also don't have a legal driving license for a motorcycle in Thailand and as such void the mandatory 3rd party insurance that all cars must have, that would normally help them with medical expenses!

All foreigners that rent motorcycles in Thailand are not sufficiently proficient in riding and  even more not aware of the driving style and frantic habits of many Thai drivers.

Tourists who visit  Thailand think that because they don't speak the language or understand the law, there are no rules that apply to them and they can just do it!

This ends all too often in a body bag or worse, as in this case life long injuries and disabilities.

15 minutes ago, chrissables said:

He was hit from behind, he is the victim, the person who committed the crime should be made to pay. 

And the problem there is, does the perp have the insurance cover in his own policy if he is drunk or even have a policy at all ? Does he have a licence ? Does he even have any money at all ? How long before he can get the money ? Will the hospital wait on a 'promise' of money ? Will the guy who hit him argue it was his fault to delay any payment. Guy in hospital needs the money now - not later. 

In cases like this, hospital care should be free, no matter if you have insurance or not (person hit). It should be the responsibility of the hospital to claim it from the person who hit him.

Archived