Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

14 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Not much information on whether the motorbike was performing some type of unexpected maneuver. Such as suddenly cutting across all lanes to make the U-turn. Not nearly enough information to place blame

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Just look at the drawn chalk lines in the below photo.  The brit was clearly cutting across all lanes, without noticing the car coming at higher speed. Unfortunately in Thailand motorbikes are required by law to drive in the left lane, which makes u-turns an extremely dangerous manouver.

29214780_2075447209392541_20542837639148

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Why the constant need to attack Thailand when they're begging for money? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the condition of Thai roads, they're actually very, very good, better than many western countries. The Somchai's driving on them are another matter but that's beside the point. 

You haven't driven on many western roads have you.

10 minutes ago, Badbanker said:

I see sad problems happen almost every day with many westerners coming to Thailand  and starting to ride a motorcycle for their very first time.

We have all lost count of the number of times this has happened with regular tragic results.

Most people also don't have a legal driving license for a motorcycle in Thailand and as such void the mandatory 3rd party insurance that all cars must have, that would normally help them with medical expenses!

All foreigners that rent motorcycles in Thailand are not sufficiently proficient in riding and  even more not aware of the driving style and frantic habits of many Thai drivers.

Tourists who visit  Thailand think that because they don't speak the language or understand the law, there are no rules that apply to them and they can just do it!

This ends all too often in a body bag or worse, as in this case life long injuries and disabilities.

All foreigners that rent motorcycles in Thailand are not sufficiently proficient in riding and  even more not aware of the driving style and frantic habits of many Thai drivers.

That statement is just plain wrong. Many maybe, all, no way.

This accident happened on the entry to Palm Hills where the U Turn option going south to Hua Hin has been blocked for years.  People coming out of the golf course area constantly ignore the block-off and create a real hazard by driving the wrong way down the Palm Hills entry road and crossing to U Turn illegally to avoid a fairly lengthy "backward" trip to the nearest correct Uturn.   Looking at the trail of liquid in the photo it appears that this accident may have been caused by attempting this "short cut" as almost everyone coming out of Palm Hills wanting to turn right does.

34 minutes ago, kannot said:

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

Good for you! Great you can tuck away 3 million for your medical expenses, and then have access to even more. However, not everyone is as lucky as you.

Who in their right state of mind would ride a motorbike anywhere  expecially Asia without comprehensive medical insurance. These internet charities like GFM simply add to the problem.  Defacto coverage.

Aust Fedpolice are apparently investigating GTM and several other 'charities' or they were last year.

It should be a condition when one hires a car or motorbike in Thailand that the vehicle rental company/individual provides full and adequate insurance for the vehicle and the driver/pasengers.  Of course it will add to the cost, but so be it.

In Thailand if you are hit by a uninsured driver from behind, and if the driver of the car that hits you is also drunk....they will have to do some jail time and possibly pay minimal but that’s it! After that you are on your own. 

How do you sue a driver who has nothing? 

7 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Just look at the drawn chalk lines in the below photo.  The brit was clearly cutting across all lanes, without noticing the car coming at higher speed. Unfortunately in Thailand motorbikes are required by law to drive in the left lane, which makes u-turns an extremely dangerous manouver.

29214780_2075447209392541_20542837639148

He was hit from behind. Those lines show a path further forward from the bike's resting place so they aren't showing the bike's actual driven path. Maybe it's the path of the rider after coming off. 

11 minutes ago, Badbanker said:

Most people also don't have a legal driving license for a motorcycle in Thailand and as such void the mandatory 3rd party insurance that all cars must have, that would normally help them with medical expenses!

I think you will find the mandatory poa la bor covers with or without a license. Around 30,000 baht from the bike tax/registration and around 30,000 from the car. The victim has probably already used that up. 

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

His family should pay, probably don't want to

Why should the family pay?  They most likely didn´t know anything about the brits stupidity, not taking out insurance.

37 minutes ago, kannot said:

Are  you sure?? so Im going down a 3  lane road in the outside  lane  and Somchai Knievel decides to pull out from the inside lane thru the fast lane to u turn without  looking, no lights, no signal ,  3 am, drunk, no licence, no insurance etc etc Ok an extreme example but I beg to differ  that the  car will be responsible.

Two issues which seem to take precedence here: 1) he was indeed in front of you, you should have stopped and 2) if you were not here, it would not have happened

1 minute ago, miamiman123 said:

In Thailand if you are hit by a uninsured driver from behind, and if the driver of the car that hits you is also drunk....they will have to do some jail time and possibly pay minimal but that’s it! After that you are on your own. 

How do you sue a driver who has nothing? 

Some travelinsurances have legal assistance in the package....

But in this case the Thai Government is responsible if that cardriver didn't have insurance or was drunk.

And the motodriver should have merged to the right lane far before this spot, look he even crossed the white line...

And his bike is not damaged at the back, how can that?

Once i drove motocy on the righthand side lane to go over a flyover bridge...suddenly a policemen run onto the road and stopped me...i got a fine for not keeping left while i could never take that bridge if i kept left since only the right lanes directed to the bridge.

He wrote with his finger on his hand the number 200....if i wouldn't pay that (without receipt) i would have to go to the policestation he said.

Yes U-turns are VERY dangerous, even more dangerous when they put dark grey roadblocks around them without any reflectors on them.

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

4 yrs ago I got hit by motorbike from behind while I was walking,broken ankle 3 places,wrist,2 ribs,in hospital 2 weeks,,got flown back to the UK with qualified nurse for further treatment,,big bill to pay,,driver hit me from Malaysia,no ins no driving licence AND guess no money,,,and she is still working in Pattaya

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

There is no need for gofundme, he needs a lawyer, the car driver will have to pay, if for some reason his insurance doesn't then he will have to pay from his own pocket, even in Thailand that's the way it is.

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

In cases like this, hospital care should be free, no matter if you have insurance or not (person hit). It should be the responsibility of the hospital to claim it from the person who hit him.

And if the person who is at fault simply doesn't have any money, the hospital has to provide free treatment for which it will not be able to recover the costs while those of us who have the money to pay for treatment / insurance have to wait or possibly even miss out because the doctors and nurses and attending to those who cannot pay.  Can't say I like the sound of that.

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.
And if he didn't have a motorbike licence he wouldn't be covered by any travel insurance anyway.. And because he was hit from behind by another vehicle, one would expect that their insurance should cover the entire costs of medical expenses.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another "I'm not insured, please pay for my stupidity for not taking it out" 

But the car who hit him from behind has insurance yes or no. If yes then they pay. If no then jail the person minium 5 years if thai or forienger does not matter jail them

1 minute ago, owenm said:

And if he didn't have a motorbike licence he wouldn't be covered by any travel insurance anyway.. And because he was hit from behind by another vehicle, one would expect that their insurance should cover the entire costs of medical expenses.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most travel insurances wont pay for a motorbike accident,license or not

1 hour ago, kannot said:

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

But what happens if you are comatose and cannot access your funds..................................?

9 minutes ago, mstevens said:

And if the person who is at fault simply doesn't have any money, the hospital has to provide free treatment for which it will not be able to recover the costs while those of us who have the money to pay for treatment / insurance have to wait or possibly even miss out because the doctors and nurses and attending to those who cannot pay.  Can't say I like the sound of that.

That is where the law steps in as the driver should be adequately insured and prosecuted. Same as theft - only now theft from a hospital.

Archived