Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

I wonder how he paid for his flight to Thailand. Credit cards offer varying degrees of travel-related medical insurance coverage. My Japanese Visa card gives me coverage up the wazoo. (Thankfully I've had no wazoo-related injuries whilst traveling.)

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, bluebird1 said:

4 yrs ago I got hit by motorbike from behind while I was walking,broken ankle 3 places,wrist,2 ribs,in hospital 2 weeks,,got flown back to the UK with qualified nurse for further treatment,,big bill to pay,,driver hit me from Malaysia,no ins no driving licence AND guess no money,,,and she is still working in Pattaya

Well mate i feel for you, but you were lucky, only 2 weeks in hospital.

I spent 7 months in hospital, and now paraplegic, but covered with insurance.

Pickup driver who hit me, local government official, so got off scot free.

38 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Who was wrong? If the car was wrong THEIR insurance should pay!
Unless it was a Thai driver of course; than the Brit was wrong.
Should have stayed in the UK and this accident would have never happened....

Do you seriously believe your own nonsense?

Knowing the place of the accident well...And my guess is that the Brit crossed lanes without paying attention to make the u-turn and therefore was hit from behind...so the driver, no matter nationality, is not to blame....

The Thai-bashing here is really disgusting....!!

lets not forget the fine print on insurance that says it doesn't cover you if you have been drinking or if you are on a motor bike

Maybe read the small print then before buying. Its probably that kind of attitude caused the guy not to bother with insurance

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

Chances are he would not have Insurance anyway, Riding a Motor Cycle most Insurance companies do not allow them!

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I think another  issue  is  that folks  from the West simply dont realise the sheer  stupidity of Thai drivers, their ability to  pull out  for no reason, gawk at the phone do the most unbelievable things, they maybe think that common sense  will protect them, they have to understand a large percentage of the Thai population simply have none.

Travel insurance really isnt that expensive if he was on a 2-3-4  week  holiday no excuse, long term health insurance especially with age often is ,and often unavailable at a sane price

Sorry, but after reading this, I cannot see where it states the driver who hit him is a Thai. The chances are of course that it was a Thai, but to make statements purely on assumptions is dangerous.

11 minutes ago, Dararasmi said:

I wonder how he paid for his flight to Thailand. Credit cards offer varying degrees of travel-related medical insurance coverage. My Japanese Visa card gives me coverage up the wazoo. (Thankfully I've had no wazoo-related injuries whilst traveling.)

The trip might either have been paid in cash having been booked through a travel agent or paid with a debit card.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It should be a condition when one hires a car or motorbike in Thailand that the vehicle rental company/individual provides full and adequate insurance for the vehicle and the driver/pasengers.  Of course it will add to the cost, but so be it.

For your information...

Fully Comprehensive   insurance is not available from any insurance company in Thailand on a rental bike

Just now, Jimbo53 said:

Its about time they forced all vehicle or motorbike owners whom ùsè the roads, tò

have insurance, alright, the poor bloke didn't ,but why should he die in hospital through no fault of his own? Motorbike hirers should be responsible for insuring bikes/riders! also,if a Thai Citizen is responsible,and has no ìnsurance,then the Thai Government should be obliged to pay for hospitalisation and treatment.

What is happening to the person that hit him from behind? I hope the guy survives the trauma and all the best to the family in their fund raising,my annual  travel insurance policy ,for the benefit of those that dont know,is GBP 245 for 1 Trip of 100 Days,and any other trips of a maximum duration of 30 Days,Hospital cover of £10.000.000,most polićies state that ýou must use a public hospital,and can only use a private hospital after authorisation from the insurer,on the basis that the public hospital does not have the equipment required to treat your ailment/injury,any costs incurred by initial admission to a private hospital has to be borne by the insured person if a Public hospital could have treated them.

Q

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

Surely if he was hit from behind by a car then that’s cars insurance should be paying for his treatment YES or NO !

Define "hit from behind", was he driving along minding his own business and someone hit him from behind OR did he pull out in front of a vehicle travelling at speed, with no chance of stopping.

I can go out today and pull out from a side street in front of an 18 wheel road train thats doing 100 kph. I dont think the truck is at fault or liable.

15 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You notice how are resident Troll Team ignores that fact. And the newspapers. Yes he should have had insurance, but the car that hit him is liable.

Clearly no end to stupidity on this thread.....:coffee1:

If he crossed lanes in front of the car.....The Brit and only he is to blame....!!

Sure we will soon see a go fund me page to hire a good lawyer......

3 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Its about time they forced all vehicle or motorbike owners whom ùsè the roads, tò

have insurance, alright, the poor bloke didn't ,but why should he die in hospital through no fault of his own? Motorbike hirers should be responsible for insuring bikes/riders! also,if a Thai Citizen is responsible,and has no ìnsurance,then the Thai Government should be obliged to pay for hospitalisation and treatment.

What is happening to the person that hit him from behind? I hope the guy survives the trauma and all the best to the family in their fund raising,my annual  travel insurance policy ,for the benefit of those that dont know,is GBP 245 for 1 Trip of 100 Days,and any other trips of a maximum duration of 30 Days,Hospital cover of £10.000.000,most polićies state that ýou must use a public hospital,and can only use a private hospital after authorisation from the insurer,on the basis that the public hospital does not have the equipment required to treat your ailment/injury,any costs incurred by initial admission to a private hospital has to be borne by the insured person if a Public hospital could have treated them.

There is a level of compulsory Por La Bor insurance attached to all vehicles in Thailand (so long as tax is up to date). It covers driver or passenger or victim for 30,000 baht per accident, not a fortune but enough to pay for emergency surgery/trauma and a couple of days in hospital.

FYI ...a 56 year old Brit traveling to Thailand... International health travel insurance is $122.50 month with 0 ZERO deductible and 100% coverage up to US $1Million dollars coverage.  

And as he is under age 70 his preexisting conditions would be covered.  Terrible mistake of the gent to travel without health insurance. 

1 hour ago, woody622954 said:

Most UK travel insurance excludes claiming if riding a motorcycle.

Comes under dangerous sports.

You can easily get covered for riding motorcycles but you have to specifically ask for it. I got it no problem for my bike trips in Morocco and it wasn't expensive. But then, when you're all pumped up ready for your Thai holiday, that's probably the last thing on your mind.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

Most Thais don’t take out insurance,I got hit by a car driver using mobile phone while I had insurance my girlfriend did not so far it has cost me 1 million baht for her injuries car drivers insurance paid 7000 baht it’s beyond belief

2 hours ago, hagler said:

Based on very recent experience with a friend while we were riding through  Korat the hospital will be getting him stabilised and at the same time the admissions team will be determining if he has insurance and if so will be contacting the insurance company. 

If he doesnt have insurance they will get him stabilised and then he will be given minimal level of care to keep his vitals going. The family will be contacted ( if they cant then the embassy) and money will be sought for further treatment.

Did you even read the OP? He does NOT have insurance and the family have already been contacted!

At 56 he should have the sense to have insurance . but why cant the other guy who hit him and must be at fault . his insurance will pay for medical costs .  Everyone has full insurance here in thailand don't they 

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Some travelinsurances have legal assistance in the package....

But in this case the Thai Government is responsible if that cardriver didn't have insurance or was drunk.

And the motodriver should have merged to the right lane far before this spot, look he even crossed the white line...

And his bike is not damaged at the back, how can that?

Once i drove motocy on the righthand side lane to go over a flyover bridge...suddenly a policemen run onto the road and stopped me...i got a fine for not keeping left while i could never take that bridge if i kept left since only the right lanes directed to the bridge.

He wrote with his finger on his hand the number 200....if i wouldn't pay that (without receipt) i would have to go to the policestation he said.

Yes U-turns are VERY dangerous, even more dangerous when they put dark grey roadblocks around them without any reflectors on them.

Take a closer look. His exhaust is stuffed up big time. He was hit from the right rear.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

There is no need for gofundme, he needs a lawyer, the car driver will have to pay, if for some reason his insurance doesn't then he will have to pay from his own pocket, even in Thailand that's the way it is.

You cannot get blood from a rock. Yes, you may take the Thai to court and get an adjudication against him; then what? He claims no money and what, maybe goes to jail for a month or two, and the victim dies.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

yes my thoughts as well , should the drivers insurance not be responsible for all his costs?

Again this is Thailand, someone was driving my car recently, and guess what?

No driver license, no insurance, is happens so many times in this country.

As long as the police do not carry out stricter checks, nothing will change.

But above all, the mentality must change, and I do not see that happening soon.

But the Englishman is a stupid.

Archived