Uninsured Brit seriously injured and stranded in hospital after motorbike accident in Hua Hin

webfact

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.

But chances are once that motorbike is rented in your name, any insurance is rendered worthless.

1 minute ago, kcpattaya said:

Who was wrong? If the car was wrong THEIR insurance should pay!
Unless it was a Thai driver of course; than the Brit was wrong.
Should have stayed in the UK and this accident would have never happened....

In my experience that is a fallacy, I have had accidents with Thai drivers who were at fault and the police have gone out of their way to make sure I received compensation. Mostly without the court being involved, statements taken from both parties and the police telling the Thai he was at fault and an extra statement made promising to pay the damage, the police told me to get an estimate done and to bring it to them and they would forward it to the driver, if I didn't receive payment within 3 months I was to report it to them and they would 'make sure' it was paid, worked well in both cases.

55 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Why the constant need to attack Thailand when they're begging for money? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the condition of Thai roads, they're actually very, very good, better than many western countries. The Somchai's driving on them are another matter but that's beside the point. 

oh PLEASE!!!

1 hour ago, kannot said:

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

If the authorities cannot force their own to insure adequately, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of getting foreigners to cough up.

5 minutes ago, davethailand said:

I'm sure they would if motorbikes are included in the policy and the rider wasn't pissed or at fault.

Certainly it is possible to purchase tailor made travel insurance that would cover you for just about anything (including riding a motorbike) providing it is specified in the policy. The trouble is most people just visit a compare website and choose the cheapest option thinking that they are never going to need it.

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

I agree with almost everyone on this. If you can afford the plane ticket for a holiday you should be able to pay a few extra pounds to cover your ass, especially if you are stupid enough to rent a motorcycle.

lets not forget the fine print on insurance that says it doesn't cover you if you have been drinking or if you are on a motor bike

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

yes my thoughts as well , should the drivers insurance not be responsible for all his costs?

If it's a local, they probably only have the por ror bor minimum mandatory insurance which is good for maybe 30k baht, tops and takes about 30-days to finalize.

10 minutes ago, A. BOOZER said:

But what happens if you are comatose and cannot access your funds..................................?

Other people have access to my funds in more than one country

The "hit from behind" liability only goes so far, a big difference if braking and someone runs into the back of you AND pulling out in front of a car travelling at speed, with no chance of them stopping.

Otherwise, need a new bike and a couple of dollars, pull out from the kerb in front of a car travelling at speed.

Technically, 90% of accidents could be classed as "hit from behind", both cars going the same way on a road, one of them has to be behind the other at some point.

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Certainly it is possible to purchase tailor made travel insurance that would cover you for just about anything (including riding a motorbike) providing it is specified in the policy. The trouble is most people just visit a compare website and choose the cheapest option thinking that they are never going to need it.

I lived out there for 13 years and through my own fault have bashed myself up a bit on bikes, luckily I had private health insurance so I know how important it is looking at the bills that were covered.

I shopped around and made phone calls to insure my travel insurance covers me to use a small bike.

:)

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

I know how it works here, i have ridden 100,000 + km in Asia, mainly Thailand. I could write the book, no need to read it. My point is the system is corrupt and needs to be changed.

Don't give up your day job.

34 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It should be a condition when one hires a car or motorbike in Thailand that the vehicle rental company/individual provides full and adequate insurance for the vehicle and the driver/pasengers.  Of course it will add to the cost, but so be it.

Agreed. When renting the motorcycle you should be made to take out insurance. If the insurance costs more than the bike rental too bad that's just the way it is.

Additionally, no license no rental, and don't forget your helmet.

You maybe on holidays, but accidents waiting to happen are not.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Because... and this may be a bit of an eye-opener for you, this is Thailand.

This just isn't true, if the Brit wasn't at fault the Thai driver will have to pay from his own pocket if necessary. If the Thai driver is obstinate it may take time and a lawyer but in the end he will have to pay.  

26 minutes ago, helloagain said:

But the car who hit him from behind has insurance yes or no. If yes then they pay. If no then jail the person minium 5 years if thai or forienger does not matter jail them

Todays Pollyanna moment brought to you by...

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

In most countries the car drivers insure would have to pay.

This is Thailand, and things do not always go the way you would expect.

Did the car driver have insurance?

Mark Haley stupidly came here without insurance, now his family want others to pay for his stupidity.

I absolutely agree with you Colin. I believe that too many people "expect" that GoFundMe pages would be set up to pay for their irresponsibility. I'd say, sell any and all assets you have first! They'd soon learn that taking out an insurance policy for a couple of hundred quid is the mature way of doing things, not simply relying on goodwill of friends and strangers alike.

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Why the constant need to attack Thailand when they're begging for money? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the condition of Thai roads, they're actually very, very good, better than many western countries. The Somchai's driving on them are another matter but that's beside the point. 

Was going to say the same thing- from the photo that stretch of road looks in excellent condition- no good the family blaming the road.

It’s not a good situation for this guy to be in- hope he will OK - but it’s dangerous out there. 

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Why is the driver not held accountable financially whether he has insurance or not? Yes the Brit was wrong not to have insurance but the cause of the problem is the other driver....

it's called accountability for your behavior/mistakes...

what's  the point then of having insurance if you're not liable for not having it?

so tired of hearing oh well TIT

This. It's called auto insurance and it should be mandatory and available for all rental vehicles. 

1 hour ago, kannot said:

More proof  for the authorities that they MUST force foreigners to insure,  which i dont agree with, I  keep aside  3  million for emergencies if that aint enough more can be raised but the LAST  thing  Ill do is beg. People need to realise if they have no money they will die, as simple as  that. They should sign a disclaimer on arrival.

Specific lines should be indicated at immigration points.  Lines for those with proof of medical insurance,  lines for those without.  An insurance agent booth and waiting corral for purchasing insurance, or mandatory organ donor cards and waiver to deny medical treatment for those without/refuse....  The ultimate gamble, second only to actual Russian roulette. :shock1:

24 minutes ago, davethailand said:

I'm sure they would if motorbikes are included in the policy and the rider wasn't pissed or at fault.

Most travel insurance does in fact cover "licensed" motorbike riders that are riding a "legal" bike "legally", not racing/off road etc. They cannot not insure you, its a legal license on a legal vehicle.

All the "no Motorbike" clauses are usually for people without a proper license.

1 hour ago, retell said:

and the car that hit him?? surely the driver would be responsible , 

You notice how are resident Troll Team ignores that fact. And the newspapers. Yes he should have had insurance, but the car that hit him is liable.

4 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

No foreigner should ever ride motorbikes or motorcycles in Thailand if they can at all avoid it. Insured? Great--I'll still be dead or brain-damaged.

Not sure I really agree, I've ridden a lot in Thailand legally and its been great fun.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Most travel insurance does in fact cover "licensed" motorbike riders that are riding a "legal" bike "legally", not racing/off road etc. They cannot not insure you, its a legal license on a legal vehicle.

All the "no Motorbike" clauses are usually for people without a proper license.

I had to shop around as  have Thai licenses for car and bike but no bike license for my own country.

Archived