Bullying or just desserts? Court of social media divided on child thieves' temple punishment

webfact

21 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Fine by me.

It's the only way they will ever have any change of

understanding right from wrong. grandma and grandpa don't give a toss in most homes,  when the kids are dumped on them by the parents.  it's the way forward for Thailand. :thumbsup:

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Should have been done back at home behind closed doors

Never beat your kids in public,  to many do gooders about now days. :cheesy:

I am not a do gooder far from it but the days of humiliation toward a child are long gone no need to whip or beat them there are other alternatives.nothing worse than a child beater or a wife beater in today’s society regardless of the background you come from ?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mok199 said:

...I can only speak for myself, and if it were my boy , I would be in the middle taking the beating with him...because someone is failing these boys on a huge level...

If it were my kid i would press charges to who tied him up. I would beat the s*** out of who floged him. And when boy got home grounded for the whole of the school holidays and no pocket money until back at school

9 minutes ago, helloagain said:

If it were my kid i would press charges to who tied him up. I would beat the s*** out of who floged him. And when boy got home grounded for the whole of the school holidays and no pocket money until back at school

A very long and unnecessary hard punishment.

A few whacks and its all over, lesson learned ( most of the time)

life back to normal.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said society was being asked whether this kind of punishment was acceptable or just bullying by adults.

Or.... child abuse

of more concern is that society is debating the issue. IMHO

Make them do 500 baht worth of work at the temple as recompense for their "crime".

Then give them the 500 baht and tell them they must find someone who truly needs it and give it to them, so they can understand the good that money can do.

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Stealing from a church or wat is about as low as you can go as a common thief.

Spare  the rod spoil the child.

Stealing from an individual is worse. Most people work hard for their money. Religious organizations just ask for it. I wish I could do that.

My wife likes to relate a story to me how she taught her son to be good.

One day the son went to a friends and played computer games all day and did not come home. The wife said she went to the house brought the son home and spanked him with a wire clothes hanger. She never had a problem with him after that. He did as he was told and grew up with out problems of stealing.drinking drugs etc. He graduated from university this year  as a medical technician. The attributes all this to the one time she laid into him. I was not involved with her at the time this was long before I came into the picture. I should mention I think he was around 6 when this happened.

She really does believe what she did saved him from being a problem person. The daughter well she is another story. 

3 hours ago, JOC said:

To steal from the temple is of course wrong.....

For temples to steal, con and fraud billions from ordinary people is considered normal...

Religion is indeed a strange phenomenon.......:coffee1:

As for the adults who allowed the flogging to take place, they should be ashamed of themselves....!!

The adults who assaulted the children should be prosecuted for criminal assault.  It doesn't matter what they did or how much is stolen from temples by adults.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

I think when we are young most of us steal Whether it is a candy bar from the local store or money from someone. It is the life's lesson that teaches us that stealing is bad.

I am against tieing these kids up to a tree but a couple of shots on the backside should straighten them out.

My son was caught stealing some money from me when he was 11. He was grounded for a  month. Today he is an electrical engineer  I must have done something right.

Had you not grounded him, he would have been a nuclear scientist today....:coffee1:

And the church has never stolen anything, nor have they raped children? Nothing gets much lower than the righteousness of the religious

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It’s neither. 

It’s violent, criminal assault. 

Gaol those responsible. 

<deleted>.... so many times crime goes un-punished.. learn the lesson if you get caught expect punishment

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

<deleted>.... so many times crime goes un-punished.. learn the lesson if you get caught expect punishment

I agree and I hope the vigilantes behind this violent assault on two children are locked up for several years.

Never mind that churches and temples of every single religion are the greatest thieves of all, as they rob people not only of their money but of their common sense and worst of all, their genuine spiritual thirst, the one that makes every human being wonder, from a very early age, why he/she is on earth, what life and death mean, if they actually mean something etc ...

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes yes,   but this is Thai Buddhism, it's special.  :cheesy:

Yes yes, and this is Thai Visa so let's not pass a golden occasion to make another absurd Thai-Buddhism-Bashing comment.

45 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The adults who assaulted the children should be prosecuted for criminal assault.  It doesn't matter what they did or how much is stolen from temples by adults.

Yes, because community service has worked so well in the West. 

Singapore uses the cane to great effect.  A very low recidivism rate I believe.

Not being able to sit down for six weeks is a lesson that will be lifelong. 

19 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Yes yes, and this is Thai Visa so let's not pass a golden occasion to make another absurd Thai-Buddhism-Bashing comment.

But its true.

Lord Buddha would be totally pissed off if he could see what his

teachings have been turned into.

Also not one week now goes by now,  with out some new low committed by one  of the saffron boys.

Ps, I have no time for any religion or followings,  or its followers

im a born again athirst. i except death is final and it  will come one day.

but that's just me. :thumbsup: 

I think physical violence to a kid is actually a bit lower than pinching stuff

If that had been me as a kid I would have copped a flogging from the local Sarge and another one from Dad when I got home. 

A bit of a belting can be more effective over the longer term than the current 'penalties' being handed out. 

Teach them right from wrong at a young age and the world will be a better place. 

Flame on lefties. 

8 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:
19 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

But its true.

Lord Buddha would be totally pissed off if he could see what his

teachings have been turned into.

Also not one week now goes by now,  with out some new low committed by one

of the saffron boys.

He would indeed, but you missed my point.

My point was that in EVERY religion around the world, the original teaching and intention are now being distorted beyond recognition and all the self-appointed 'representatives of God on earth' commit all manners of abuse, from mild to wild.

Making it sound like the problem is limited to Thai-Buddhism is to miss the bigger picture and to stoop to Thai bashing, of which there is far too much on this website, and says more about expats than it does about this country.

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

If that had been me as a kid I would have copped a flogging from the local Sarge and another one from Dad when I got home. 

A bit of a belting can be more effective over the longer term than the current 'penalties' being handed out. 

Teach them right from wrong at a young age and the world will be a better place. 

Flame on lefties. 

So you got bashed about as a kid and think that as you got it, it's OK to dish it out?  And that old chap is why today your kids would be taken in to care for their own protection and the Sarge would get banged up with all the other child-beaters for a taste of his own medicine.  Even old lags hate crimes against kids. 

5 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

He would indeed, but you missed my point.

My point was that in EVERY religion around the world, the original teaching and intention are now being distorted beyond recognition and all the self-appointed 'representatives of God on earth' commit all manners of abuse, from mild to wild.

Making it sound like the problem is limited to Thai-Buddhism is to miss the bigger picture and to stoop to Thai bashing, of which there is far too much on this website, and says more about expats than it does about this country.

ok, got it :thumbsup:

apparently stolen 200 baht at a temple called Wat Thung Hiang. if they are guilty then a beating with a cane like the old school days would be in my opinion ok . but tired to a tree is going a bit too far 

6 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

apparently stolen 200 baht at a temple called Wat Thung Hiang. if they are guilty then a beating with a cane like the old school days would be in my opinion ok . but tired to a tree is going a bit too far 

Of all the options available, you think it's OK to physically assault a couple of children for stealing 8 lousy bucks? Wow...

Archived