Bullying or just desserts? Court of social media divided on child thieves' temple punishment

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JOC said:

Had you not grounded him, he would have been a nuclear scientist today....:coffee1:

Its ok I am happy with him being an electrical engineer He is working for a defense contractor and is happy

That is what matters

For eight years he was in the marines as a bomb expert like you see in the Movie Hurt Locker  Fortunately he was one that did not get blown up but there were close calls He was required to study Nuclear physical as part of his training in the event he had to defuse a nuclear bomb So he almost became a physicist LOL

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

I think when we are young most of us steal Whether it is a candy bar from the local store or money from someone. It is the life's lesson that teaches us that stealing is bad.

I am against tieing these kids up to a tree but a couple of shots on the backside should straighten them out.

My son was caught stealing some money from me when he was 11. He was grounded for a  month. Today he is an electrical engineer  I must have done something right.

He was likely so disappointed at letting you down he made damn sure it wouldn't happen again. Sounds more like HE did something right. 

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When I first came to the Kingdom 12 years ago I witnessed a mother take a small branch off a tree and started whipping her daughter who was no older than 8 years of age , it was unbelievable the way she was whipping this poor girl such was my shock I offered her money to stop whipping the child she just laughed in my face . I will never ever forget that little girls tears you could see on her face the pain she was enduring but nobody intervened the explanation given to me was that was the normal punishment for disobedience. 

Agree, horrific.

No it's not the normal punishment given for disobedience in Thailand.

And it could and does happen in any country.

13 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Of all the options available, you think it's OK to physically assault a couple of children for stealing 8 lousy bucks? Wow...

You may be right let them steal till they are in a position to steal from all the poor  like some are doing now.. Why nip it in the bud let the thieves blosssom to big time

3 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

You may be right let them steal till they are in a position to steal from all the poor  like some are doing now.. Why nip it in the bud let the thieves blosssom to big time

You missed my point completely, how convenient for you.

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

...I can only speak for myself, and if it were my boy , I would be in the middle taking the beating with him...because someone is failing these boys on a huge level...

What a crock you talk my parents where the most honest people you could meet they tried to bring me up with the same values and yes they never spared the rod and even I did a little bit of thieving  as a kid but I grew up in the end with the same values as them

Unfortunately, not a lot of exemplary moral compasses here for the kids to take their example from.

Lying, cheating, stealing, coveting, do whatever your desires tell you to do, and no meaningful consequences most of the time.

It's all OK. And those who are best at it are the ones living in fancy mansions and driving around in expensive cars.

So what are the kids supposed to learn from that?

In this case, though, considering there were monks involved with young boys, it's probably lucky they got away with just a hiding... Could have been worse.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

If it was up to me, the childrens parents should take the place of the children.

But you don't know the background to any of this, do you? Well maybe you know a lot more about it than I do. 

18 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Its ok I am happy with him being an electrical engineer He is working for a defense contractor and is happy

That is what matters

For eight years he was in the marines as a bomb expert like you see in the Movie Hurt Locker  Fortunately he was one that did not get blown up but there were close calls He was required to study Nuclear physical as part of his training in the event he had to defuse a nuclear bomb So he almost became a physicist LOL

Nuclear physical - is that, like, really really heavy exercise?  

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I don't think the alternative to a public flogging is ignoring the theft. There are less barbaric, more enlightened methods to discipline children.

4 minutes ago, Spock said:

I don't think the alternative to a public flogging is ignoring the theft. There are less barbaric, more enlightened methods to discipline children.

Of course there are other ways every one knows that tell us something we do not know.

But I am fairly confident this got the message across about stealing and probably influenced a few of their peers about choices concerning theft.

7 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Nuclear physical - is that, like, really really heavy exercise?  

3 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Of course there are other ways every one knows that tell us something we do not know.

But I am fairly confident this got the message across about stealing and probably influenced a few of their peers about choices concerning theft.

Explosive exercise with my spell check

8 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Stealing from a church or wat is about as low as you can go as a common thief.

Spare  the rod spoil the child.

Nah, much worse stealing from an orphanage, or charity hospital, or me. Why the heck does 'religion' get special consideration? Maybe the gods are sleeping on the job- again!  :passifier:

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

So you got bashed about as a kid and think that as you got it, it's OK to dish it out?  And that old chap is why today your kids would be taken in to care for their own protection and the Sarge would get banged up with all the other child-beaters for a taste of his own medicine.  Even old lags hate crimes against kids. 

Garbage..... Where did I say I got bashed about as a kid?  I never hit my kids and they have grown into well adjusted adults unlike some of the posters on here who twist the meaning of other people's posts to suit their own agenda. 

Poor performance old chap.  Shame on you. 

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, horrific.

No it's not the normal punishment given for disobedience in Thailand.

And it could and does happen in any country.

Raping and murdering little kids is horrific.  This is not. Not even close. 

Why oh why are people so up in arms about this?  Many are the same posters who mention the little emporer syndrome where young Thai boys can do no wrong and are a scourge on society in later life.

Now a couple of little thieves get their comeuppance everybody is shedding crocodile tears.

Double standards are alive and well it seems. 

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

How about a days wages? That's effectively what they did. 

OK you got me. Flay the skin off their backs!  Violence... such an effective time-honoured method of meaningful behaviour management!

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Why oh why are people so up in arms about this?  Many are the same posters who mention the little emporer syndrome where young Thai boys can do no wrong and are a scourge on society in later life.

Now a couple of little thieves get their comeuppance everybody is shedding crocodile tears.

Double standards are alive and well it seems. 

May well have something to do with the supercilious tone coming from the pro-flogging lobby. Reminds me of the prisoner in the Monty Python 'Holy Grail' movie :biggrin:

I agree with the punishment. Thieves need to pay for misdeeds.

At age 9, I was a dek wat at Wat Sawang Fah in Nagluea. I gave a sleeping monk a hotfoot with a matchstick and ran off laughing. When I came back a few hours later, the Ajarn was waiting for me. I got whipped in front of everyone with a dried stingray tail. It hurt. A lot. I cried and was humiliated because of what I had done. Guess what.... that single event instantly changed me from being a mischievous kid into being respectful and more or less decent.

Archived