Dual pricing. Fair or price gouging?

webfact

Dual pricing. Fair or price gouging?

People have their say about the dual pricing issue in Thailand

By Tanutam Thawan

29366456_1648693505208471_91872746492080  

Photo TIT – This Is Thailand Facebook page

Thailand’s dual pricing policy continues with, it seems, a completely random application of the system. In some places flashing your Work Permit might get you an exemption so you can pay local price but there is no consistency.

What are your experiences with dual pricing? Do you think it’s fair? If we’re receiving the same service, shouldn’t the price be the same? Here are some reactions from the Phuket Gazette Facebook page.

“It’s about 4 pound why moan your in a beautiful place yes it different price for Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 baht a day can you see why price different” Dean

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/dual-pricing-fair-or-price-gouging

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-03-19

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abhorrent practice even if done transparently.

I believe that discounts should be available for certain age groups or for large groups / families coming together.

I won't visit places where such pricing policies are in force. It's a scam that is in no party's wider interests to persevere with

It is completely outrageous,.. there many thais that earn more than the average pensioner living in Thailand (people who own businesses for instance). So what about them? Also many are here long stay short stay and various reason,.. and income,..

Just boycott the places…  

As a point of personal privilege, I will not visit any location that practices dual pricing.

If the local people and/or the government feel that I should be charged LOTS more based on my nationality or my skin-colour, then the hell with them.

End of story.

PS when it is TEN times the rate for locals, it is taking the piss in a big, big way.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

“It’s about 4 pound why moan your in a beautiful place yes it different price for Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 baht a day can you see why price different” Dean

It's racism.

If they charge me the same price as in a Western country i also expect the same quality of everything...which is fluent in english, ambulance within 10 minutes on the spot, police speaking languages and reliable, no rabies soidogs, everything safe for visitors, and so on.

I don't go anywhere where a farang pays more than a thai, will rather fly to another country where standards are higher and there's no cheating at all. I'm so tired of the cheating thai.

“It’s about 4 pound why moan your in a beautiful place yes it different price for Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 baht a day can you see why price different” Dean

Oh, I see!

Dean is an <deleted> moron!

I am working in Thailand (almost 11 years) and I paid more taxes than most of the people I work with!

So do I get a reduction, Dean?

Just now, DM07 said:

“It’s about 4 pound why moan your in a beautiful place yes it different price for Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 baht a day can you see why price different” Dean

Oh, I see!

Dean is an <deleted> moron!

I am working in Thailand (almost 11 years) and I paid more taxes than most of the people I work with!

So do I get a reduction, Dean?

And what about the farang english teachers who get 30.000 baht a month? 

Since we have to pay 10 times more than a thai we also need to earn 10 times more, so i hope those teachers start demanding 300.000 baht a month soon or just refuse to work.

33 minutes ago, z42 said:

Abhorrent practice even if done transparently.

I believe that discounts should be available for certain age groups or for large groups / families coming together.

I won't visit places where such pricing policies are in force. It's a scam that is in no party's wider interests to persevere with

So you wont be visiting Japan or taking the train in the Swiss Alps then as they would offer you a discount as a foreign tourist.

And the direct correlation between successes in Thailand's National Parks and the dual pricing system being introduced would actually be pretty strong evidence that it is in the interest of Thailand's wildlife.

a complete and utter con, poor people cannot go to these places for a start their goal in life is to make enough baht to put food on the table, its only the well to do THAIS with cars that visit these places anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

a complete and utter con, poor people cannot go to these places for a start their goal in life is to make enough baht to put food on the table, its only the well to do THAIS with cars that visit these places anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nonsense, most visitors are kids on school trips.

We've been through all this so many times before.  Dual pricing is common throughout the world, however normally it is based on residency not nationality, in which case the OAP's and WP holders would be eligible for the same rate as Thai nationals and it would only be the tourists who were charged more.  If that were the case in Thailand I do not think we would be having this discussion.

And just to add, I visit the NP's a lot in Thailand, I have no issue paying the entrance fee, it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket and since they introduced the new payments in 1998 the parks have gone from being among the worst in SE.Asia to being the best, so actually I am very happy to contribute.

Here how about pricing it  according to what car you drive, Mercedes 200 baht pick up 50 baht BMW 200 baht etc etc that will then rationalise the crap about "us" earning more.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

We've been through all this so many times before.  Dual pricing is common throughout the world, however normally it is based on residency not nationality, in which case the OAP's and WP holders would be eligible for the same rate as Thai nationals and it would only be the tourists who were charged more.  If that were the case in Thailand I do not think we would be having this discussion.

And just to add, I visit the NP's a lot in Thailand, I have no issue paying the entrance fee, it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket and since they introduced the new payments in 1998 the parks have gone from being among the worst in SE.Asia to being the best, so actually I am very happy to contribute.

Try the one at Sam roiYot national park and let me know how you find  the boardwalk, Id  say it  justifies it as a man trap walk thru the mangroves, absolutely shocking!

I think this dual pricing is ludicrous, and completely racist.  It needs to be completely done away with.  Having said that, the 3 times that my wife, son, niece and I went to parks here in Chiang Mai, I simply showed both my Thai driver's license and my Thai ID, and was charged the Thai price.  That's not possible for tourists, I know, but should be possible for any/all long term residents.  Try that and see what happens. 

The very fact that one man can afford 25 luxury watches while others cant afford 100 baht to enter a national park is a reflection on the country as a whole, regardless of how much farang make....obviously they are from countries that don't suppress the under privileged! In most foreign countries it is illegal to have dual pricing. I hope Big P noticed this on his latest travels abroad.....though I don't think he would be phased by it.

I see nothing wrong in charging different rates. South African National Parks for instance charge a conservation fee which is four times higher for non residents than for an ID carrying South African. SADC residents pay double the price. This merely reflects the fact that most foreigners earn much more than most locals.

What Thailand does wrong is the way they communicate. In S Africa what foreigners pay is referred to as the Standard Fee! This clearly shows that locals are getting a discount. If it was communicated in this way here it would appear to be less of a punitive price hike, although there will always be moaners who enjoy nothing more than to complain about differential pricing. 

If you are upset that the extra that you have to pay as a farang is the equivalent of a simple Starbucks coffee then I am sorry for you. You must have a very unhappy life.

35 minutes ago, kannot said:

Try the one at Sam roiYot national park and let me know how you find  the boardwalk, Id  say it  justifies it as a man trap walk thru the mangroves, absolutely shocking!

When I spoke of improvements in the parks, I did not mean infrastructure, I meant reducing poaching, increasing habitat area and increasing numbers of endangered species, in which Thailand is now the S.E.Asian leader.

5 hours ago, brommers said:

I see nothing wrong in charging different rates. South African National Parks for instance charge a conservation fee which is four times higher for non residents than for an ID carrying South African. SADC residents pay double the price. This merely reflects the fact that most foreigners earn much more than most locals.

What Thailand does wrong is the way they communicate. In S Africa what foreigners pay is referred to as the Standard Fee! This clearly shows that locals are getting a discount. If it was communicated in this way here it would appear to be less of a punitive price hike, although there will always be moaners who enjoy nothing more than to complain about differential pricing. 

If you are upset that the extra that you have to pay as a farang is the equivalent of a simple Starbucks coffee then I am sorry for you. You must have a very unhappy life.

Why do most foreigners earn much more than locals!

I actually agree with dual pricing. But saying I agree with it does not mean I agree with blatant rip off prices. If I have to pay 20% more for a park or something, I can live with that - but like the sign in the picture - 1,000% more ?  That is just taking the urine.

I am sure a lot of parks back in my UK get money from the tax payer to upgrade them. Money from hard working tax payers. I think most Brits would agree that if they has to pay to get into the park, it should be slightly less than those that have NOT contributed via the tax system. So a reflection of that here would be fair.

Problem though is what constitutes foreigner ? Is a half farang child Thai with Thai citizenship Thai or not ?  Should I be considered a foreigner even though I have probably contributed more to the Thai financial economy and tax than most Thais in a lifetime in the years I've been here ?   

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

If it were based on race rather than nationality then it would be, as it stands, where any race who gains Thai citizenship gets the Thai rate, clearly it is not!

Then please explain how westerners of Asian heritage get through so easily?

I haven't frequented anywhere practicing this lark for at least 15 years. I deliberately littered a NP in CM some years ago when they offered  'ferang leave rubbish'  to justify the policy when i protested and made damn sure they had my moneys worth.

Archived