Dual pricing. Fair or price gouging?

webfact

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

We've been through all this so many times before.  Dual pricing is common throughout the world, however normally it is based on residency not nationality, in which case the OAP's and WP holders would be eligible for the same rate as Thai nationals and it would only be the tourists who were charged more.  If that were the case in Thailand I do not think we would be having this discussion.

And just to add, I visit the NP's a lot in Thailand, I have no issue paying the entrance fee, it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket and since they introduced the new payments in 1998 the parks have gone from being among the worst in SE.Asia to being the best, so actually I am very happy to contribute.

i would prefer the beer  :smile:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

i would prefer the beer  :smile:

Ok, choose a single beer over the chance to spend up to four nights in some of the most bueatiful places in Thailand, I have no idea why you want people to know that though, just go get the beer and drink it.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ok, choose a single beer over the chance to spend up to four nights in some of the most bueatiful places in Thailand, I have no idea why you want people to know that though, just go get the beer and drink it.

or maybe could observe some clandestine hunting group  for my baht

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

We've been through all this so many times before.  Dual pricing is common throughout the world, however normally it is based on residency not nationality, in which case the OAP's and WP holders would be eligible for the same rate as Thai nationals and it would only be the tourists who were charged more.  If that were the case in Thailand I do not think we would be having this discussion.

And just to add, I visit the NP's a lot in Thailand, I have no issue paying the entrance fee, it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket and since they introduced the new payments in 1998 the parks have gone from being among the worst in SE.Asia to being the best, so actually I am very happy to contribute.

it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket

Where do you drink? Most parks are 40 baht for Thai people, 400 for non Thai. So you are paying 360 baht more than your wife. Please tell me where you drink so i can avoid the place.

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

it costs the price of a beer more than my wife's ticket

Where do you drink? Most parks are 40 baht for Thai people, 400 for non Thai. So you are paying 360 baht more than your wife. Please tell me where you drink so i can avoid the place.

No, most parks are free, 90% of them, of those that do charge, most are 40 baht for Thai and 200 for foreigners, there are only a few out of the 100 odd that charge 400.  Ever paid 160 baht for a beer?  Ok, two beers for four days entry, and often for multiple sites, I think it's a good deal anyway, that's why I tend to holiday in them.

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Keep it real!  Do you visit the parks?  Did you bother to look at the prices on their site or did you just put your two cents in without even cinsideing fact checking first?

99% of national parks are free for foreigners and athais alike, of those that do charge, most charge twice the rate for foreigners, it is only a few that charge higher percentages.

You are wrong, it is a ten fold price increase, that is government policy. Maybe you should check your facts.

Just now, chrissables said:

You are wrong, it is a ten fold price increase, that is government policy. Maybe you should check your facts.

I didn't need to because I go to them all the time.

The prices went up in 31 parks, the rates are varied, some charge 30 baht for Thais and 100 for foreigners, like Than Bok Khoroni, others 60 for Thai and 300 for foreigners, like Ao Phang Nga, and then there is Thung Salang Luang, which charges 20 for Thai but 300 for foreigners.  The ten fold increase hit the headlines as it was in a couple of the most famous parks.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Successful in what they are intended for, taking care of the wildlife, in that way they have great successes over the past 20 years, taking them from among the worst performing in SE Asia to the best performing, for instance Thailand has the only growing population of tigers.

I see, well i 've never seen a tiger nor heard of them untill that black one got killed.

I have seen tigers in nong nooch and they were on a chain of 70 cm long so we can touch them and make pictures, it was disgusting.

Also their great parrots/hornbills are in crappy small cages, no fun for them.

And the national parks i have visited like that Island next to Samui and koh tsao was full of broken glass on the beach....and there weren't many fish because of the hundreds of snorklers who come daily (and that was 20 years ago already).

Then i visited a waterfall on samui which was not maintained and good for swimming, on the way up i fell from a large rock and almost broke my wrist since there was nothing to hold on.

The emerald waterfalls are great but they didn't do anything for visitors. I paid the touristprice of course and that was the last time i did, after that me and my friends just turn around when i have to pay extra becuase i'm farang.

Koh samed is a nice small island but again they didn't do anything for visitors who pay the touristprice. No good transport, good roads, warnings for diseases, nothing at all.

Compare this to Singapore where they have huge parks everywhere which are totally free and great..there are lightshows, waterfountainshows, and more shows all for free. Nothing is dangerous there and perfectly organised, just like in my homecountry.

Also in Japan many things are free for visitors and all is perfect.

So maybe the Thai tigers are lucky but the fish sure aren't. I was alone in Maya bay 25 years ago, now it's overloaded with tourists.

And ALL touristboats i've been on were dangerous/crappy, one almost sunk with us on it at sea, my friends luggage got stolen in a coach BKK-Samui, My neece's camera disappeared in a coach to Pai...i can go on like that so nope i don't see the need for a high touristprice...and i'm married to a Thai, not a tourist.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I didn't need to because I go to them all the time.

The prices went up in 31 parks, the rates are varied, some charge 30 baht for Thais and 100 for foreigners, like Than Bok Khoroni, others 60 for Thai and 300 for foreigners, like Ao Phang Nga, and then there is Thung Salang Luang, which charges 20 for Thai but 300 for foreigners.  The ten fold increase hit the headlines as it was in a couple of the most famous parks.

I did not mention a ten fold increase. I said we are charged ten fold.

Edit: I did write it wrong, i meant charged ten fold, not a ten fold increase.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

I see, well i 've never seen a tiger nor heard of them untill that black one got killed.

I have seen tigers in nong nooch and they were on a chain of 70 cm long so we can touch them and make pictures, it was disgusting.

Also their great parrots/hornbills are in crappy small cages, no fun for them.

And the national parks i have visited like that Island next to Samui and koh tsao was full of broken glass on the beach....and there weren't many fish because of the hundreds of snorklers who come daily (and that was 20 years ago already).

Then i visited a waterfall on samui which was not maintained and good for swimming, on the way up i fell from a large rock and almost broke my wrist since there was nothing to hold on.

The emerald waterfalls are great but they didn't do anything for visitors. I paid the touristprice of course and that was the last time i did, after that me and my friends just turn around when i have to pay extra becuase i'm farang.

Koh samed is a nice small island but again they didn't do anything for visitors who pay the touristprice. No good transport, good roads, warnings for diseases, nothing at all.

Compare this to Singapore where they have huge parks everywhere which are totally free and great..there are lightshows, waterfountainshows, and more shows all for free. Nothing is dangerous there and perfectly organised, just like in my homecountry.

Also in Japan many things are free for visitors and all is perfect.

So maybe the Thai tigers are lucky but the fish sure aren't. I was alone in Maya bay 25 years ago, now it's overloaded with tourists.

And ALL touristboats i've been on were dangerous/crappy, one almost sunk with us on it at sea, my friends luggage got stolen in a coach BKK-Samui, My neece's camera disappeared in a coach to Pai...i can go on like that so nope i don't see the need for a high touristprice...and i'm married to a Thai, not a tourist.

90% of national parks are free in Thailand, no light shows and fountains though, often quite limited access, just large protected areas for the wildlife really, the stuff that national parks are all about, perhaps you are confusing them with city parks.

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I did not mention a ten fold increase. I said we are charged ten fold.

Edit: I did write it wrong, i meant charged ten fold, not a ten fold increase.

Some five, some ten, even some twelve, but most none at all and remain at zero baht.

If such practices were in place in places like Germany or Sweden, a lot of people would be in jail for discrimination, if not 'hate crimes.'  Xenophobia and racial discrimination is criminalized the West; Xenophobia and racial discrimination  is institutionalize here in the LOS.

It's a Disease,,, It has a name ,,,GREED,,,Best thing I have found is ,,,,When I see the Dual pricing or ask first the price for Thai vs Non Thai,,,If it's not the same I Say Thank you Good Bye,,, works for me  got no probs & won't get ripped off  :wink:

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As a point of personal privilege, I will not visit any location that practices dual pricing.

If the local people and/or the government feel that I should be charged LOTS more based on my nationality or my skin-colour, then the hell with them.

End of story.

PS when it is TEN times the rate for locals, it is taking the piss in a big, big way.

At New Year, Thais were getting into national parks FREE; foreigners still had to pay 200 baht. t least that happened to the two parks I went to. The first I had to pay as I was in a car; the second was a walk-up. I waited outside for the family:) 

It's BS. Anyone who pays tax in Thailand should get the local rate. I assume some of my tax money goes to supporting such parks. 

I guess at least, I pay "normal taxes" in Thailand - the same rate as everyone else. Foreigners in Australia pay a minimum of 32% tax. 

13 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It's BS. Anyone who pays tax in Thailand should get the local rate. I assume some of my tax money goes to supporting such parks. 

I guess at least, I pay "normal taxes" in Thailand - the same rate as everyone else. Foreigners in Australia pay a minimum of 32% tax. 

And everybody pays VAT..., even tourists.

And poor thais (the majority) and hiso don't pay income tax.

So it's not a problem related to tax.

It seems the majority of the respondents are in agreement that this is an offensive practice. And it seems the majority of respondents are intelligent and refuse to go to places where there is a double standard. The Thai governments tourism committee (because everything here is done by committee so no one has to shoulder the responsibility themselves for any decisions made) could increase the number of repeat visitors to the Kingdom by eliminating this practice and word of mouth by tourist returning home would be much more positive. The claim that the income disparity is the root of the practice could be eliminated by a policy of discounting for people with an ID card that is distributed for low income individuals (which is already in existence). Then the Tourism Agency could offer a discount card to tourist as well that would probably earn more than it cost the government if done in a place where other administrative work is done for tourist (personnel cost could be minimal if done at the time of visa application and controls put in place to ensure the income gets to its proper destination). But it is so much fun telling a foreign guest that they will always be considered 2nd class through this thinly veiled method of discrimination. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

If such practices were in place in places like Germany or Sweden, a lot of people would be in jail for discrimination, if not 'hate crimes.'  Xenophobia and racial discrimination is criminalized the West; Xenophobia and racial discrimination  is institutionalize here in the LOS.

It would appear that you are wrong...

"Advantageous rates for local residents are prohibited as a matter of principle as they would present an advantage for locals over other EU citizens according to EU law. Nevertheless, such discounts do exist in Austria.

In many cases, advantageous rates for local residents are not officially announced at ticket offices. The calculation basis is either the nationality (non-Austrian citizens pay more) or the place of residence (those without a principal residence in the town pay more, regardless of their nationality)."

http://europakonsument.at/en/page/advantageous-rates-local-residents

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 baht

Well that explains a bit beyond the bad editing.

I don't believe I made £100 a day working as an Engineer in Saudi Arabia tax free!!

By such logic perhaps the entrance charges should vary by Nationality dependent on the country's per capita GDP, and Cambodians get in for 50 satang!

I get charged farang price and have been for many years unknowingly or I do not have any control over it. But when it comes to farang price being government sanctioned and encouraged I really have a problem with that. I will not visit anywhere where this is practised.!!!

Archived