Dual pricing. Fair or price gouging?

webfact

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

If it were based on race rather than nationality then it would be, as it stands, where any race who gains Thai citizenship gets the Thai rate, clearly it is not!

Dress it up how you like; it's discrimination, initially based on skin colour, which is still racism. Someone who tries to charge me more just because of my skin colour before knowing if I'm Thai, or not, is a racist. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Dress it up how you like; it's discrimination, initially based on skin colour, which is still racism. Someone who tries to charge me more just because of my skin colour before knowing if I'm Thai, or not, is a racist. 

You are the one trying to dress it up as discrimination based on skin colour, the people in the ticket office have to determine whether the person is Thai or not, they do that by asking, if you can speak Thai and have citizenship then you can tell them and show your ID and you will be charged the local rate regardless of your skin colour.  My wife who is Thai also has to show her ID card despite being of the apparently correct skin colour to be given the Thai rate so why is that?  And I have been let in for the Thai rate several times recently and I am white, so how exactly does that fit into your little racism fantasy?

59 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

I get charged farang price and have been for many years unknowingly or I do not have any control over it. But when it comes to farang price being government sanctioned and encouraged I really have a problem with that. I will not visit anywhere where this is practised.!!!

No, it's not a farangs price it's a foreigner price, or a local discount, depending on how you want to look at it, but certainly nothing specific about farangs. It's really quite funny how farangs still seem to think it's all about them even when there they are outnumbered by tourists of other races these days.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You are the one trying to dress it up as discrimination based on skin colour, the people in the ticket office have to determine whether the person is Thai or not, they do that by asking, if you can speak Thai and have citizenship then you can tell them and show your ID and you will be charged the local rate regardless of your skin colour.  My wife who is Thai also has to show her ID card despite being of the apparently correct skin colour to be given the Thai rate so why is that?  And I have been let in for the Thai rate several times recently and I am white, so how exactly does that fit into your little racism fantasy?

What you say doesn't fit in with my "racism fantasy", but my SE Asian wife (non-Thai) gaining entry to a NP a few years ago on production of her non-Thai passport and being charged the Thai price does. I was asked for the inflated price and 100 baht (normal price 10 baht) to park my car. So even my car was deemed to be 'non-Thai'. If others have experienced otherwise, that's good, but I have never since returned to a NP here, nor will I.

10 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

It would appear that you are wrong...

"Advantageous rates for local residents are prohibited as a matter of principle as they would present an advantage for locals over other EU citizens according to EU law. Nevertheless, such discounts do exist in Austria.

In many cases, advantageous rates for local residents are not officially announced at ticket offices. The calculation basis is either the nationality (non-Austrian citizens pay more) or the place of residence (those without a principal residence in the town pay more, regardless of their nationality)."

http://europakonsument.at/en/page/advantageous-rates-local-residents

There you have it by your own admittance:

or the place of residence (those without a principal residence in the town pay more, regardless of their nationality)

Anyone who goes to live in a particular town is entitled to local discounts. Regardless of race or nationality (nationals that don't live locally pay full price).

F ex my thai wife gets local discounts in our town, my sister who lives in a different town, does NOT get discounts.

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

What you say doesn't fit in with my "racism fantasy", but my SE Asian wife (non-Thai) gaining entry to a NP a few years ago on production of her non-Thai passport and being charged the Thai price does. I was asked for the inflated price and 100 baht (normal price 10 baht) to park my car. So even my car was deemed to be 'non-Thai'. If others have experienced otherwise, that's good, but I have never since returned to a NP here, nor will I.

In your fantasy it was because of her race that she was charged less and because of your race that you were charged more, but it is much more likely that it was your attitude that incurred your cost and your wife's attitude that got her hers.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

There you have it by your own admittance:

or the place of residence (those without a principal residence in the town pay more, regardless of their nationality)

Anyone who goes to live in a particular town is entitled to local discounts. Regardless of race or nationality (nationals that don't live locally pay full price).

F ex my thai wife gets local discounts in our town, my sister who lives in a different town, does NOT get discounts.

No, there are various cases in Austria, some are based on residence, others on nationality, do at least try to learn how to read properly before commenting further.

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

In your fantasy it was because of her race that she was charged less and because of your race that you were charged more, but it is much more likely that it was your attitude that incurred your cost and your wife's attitude that got her hers.

That's even funnier than the previous post. 

14 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

That's even funnier than the previous post. 

I've seen it so many times, farangs at National Parks playing the race card, they often end up sat in the car while the wife and kids go in, pretty pathetic stuff and also pretty darn funny to hear them bleating to temselves about racism over pocket change while the Thais go in for cheaper but drop 1000 baht notes in the donation box,

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I've seen it so many times, farangs at National Parks playing the race card, they often end up sat in the car while the wife and kids go in, pretty pathetic stuff and also pretty darn funny to hear them bleating to temselves about racism over pocket change while the Thais go in for cheaper but drop 1000 baht notes in the donation box,

Of course you have. 

With the dual pricing, the government sets a bad example for everyone else. Yesterday on phuket beach: pancake for foreigners 50 baht. Coconut for foreigners 60 baht.
my Thai lady got the pancake and coconut for 30 baht each.

The rip-off mentality is now permeating a large part of the thai society. And many small thai shop owners wonder that the tourists prefer shopping at 7/11.
Everyone pays there same price.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

I have, I expect most have who frequent them as much as I.  Some parks will have two or three farangs sat in the car park on any one day!  It's hilarious!

Sad.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, quandow said:

Do any other countries follow this practice?

Sure try the USA. I was born and raised in Boston, MA  and if you go down to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail tourists will pay the rip off prices while residents get discounts for  showing local AAA card that gets them discounts for entrance at museums, souvenirs, parking, ect. Can pay $20 for different Boston t-shirts or go down to Washington Street  a block away and pay $6 at little kiosks or shops.  Imake 10 times more a month than a regular Thai so don't see the problem paying a little more so a regular Thai can afford to take their family to visit plces they could not afford at higher prices.  Maybe could see a little discount for  those farangs who live here. I only see complaints from cheap charlie  Brit  AND  USA pensioners who even complain about taxi fares and why because they are farang should have to tip. You know darn well if you were in Boston, NYC or London the fare would be much higher and you'd better look like tipping.

12 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Sure try the USA. I was born and raised in Boston, MA  and if you go down to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail tourists will pay the rip off prices while residents get discounts for  showing local AAA card that gets them discounts for entrance at museums, souvenirs, parking, ect. Can pay $20 for different Boston t-shirts or go down to Washington Street  a block away and pay $6 at little kiosks or shops.  Imake 10 times more a month than a regular Thai so don't see the problem paying a little more so a regular Thai can afford to take their family to visit plces they could not afford at higher prices.  Maybe could see a little discount for  those farangs who live here. I only see complaints from cheap charlie  Brit  AND  USA pensioners who even complain about taxi fares and why because they are farang should have to tip. You know darn well if you were in Boston, NYC or London the fare would be much higher and you'd better look like tipping.

Not another one......

If a foreigner has his residence there, he will get the discount price!

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, there are various cases in Austria, some are based on residence, others on nationality, do at least try to learn how to read properly before commenting further.

There is no need to become aggressive and insulting.

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Of course, but racism is not dirty word in Thailand, it is something to be proud of. 

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Nationalism not racism

You never listen to Thais talking about Indians or Africans???

52 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You never listen to Thais talking about Indians or Africans???

I keep reading all sorts of racist comments written by Westerners, by your logic that makes the policy makers of their home countries also racist, right?

It is clear that the dual pricing is not racist, it is based on nationality not race, so do spare us this endless repetition of nonsense.

Archived