Dual pricing. Fair or price gouging?

webfact

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Sure try the USA. I was born and raised in Boston, MA  and if you go down to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail tourists will pay the rip off prices while residents get discounts for  showing local AAA card that gets them discounts for entrance at museums, souvenirs, parking, ect. Can pay $20 for different Boston t-shirts or go down to Washington Street  a block away and pay $6 at little kiosks or shops.  Imake 10 times more a month than a regular Thai so don't see the problem paying a little more so a regular Thai can afford to take their family to visit plces they could not afford at higher prices.  Maybe could see a little discount for  those farangs who live here. I only see complaints from cheap charlie  Brit  AND  USA pensioners who even complain about taxi fares and why because they are farang should have to tip. You know darn well if you were in Boston, NYC or London the fare would be much higher and you'd better look like tipping.

That is not the same as how it works here. They charge a tenfold increase if you are not Thai or seem Thai.

In USA the price differences are not based on your nationality. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, chrissables said:

That is not the same as how it works here. They charge a tenfold increase if you are not Thai or seem Thai.

In USA the price differences are not based on your nationality. 

No but is based on being local or not, everyone who is not a local wether foreigner or non local US citizen is going to pay more.

Just now, Tony125 said:

No but is based on being local or not, everyone who is not a local wether foreigner or non local US citizen is going to pay more.

If i moved there would i pay extra? No, having lived nearly 14 years here now it is not the same. A Thai driving licence used to be enough to get the Thai price, now they stopped that and won't pay more to enter than a Thai person.

If you charged Thai people in America at tenfold the price i am sure there would be complaints.

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Oh, you know it's sad, you've been one of them!

Excellent. 

When was that exactly? Which NP was it? What car do I drive?

No, I thought not. Just another WUM. 

On 3/19/2018 at 7:54 PM, DavisH said:

It's BS. Anyone who pays tax in Thailand should get the local rate. I assume some of my tax money goes to supporting such parks. 

I guess at least, I pay "normal taxes" in Thailand - the same rate as everyone else. Foreigners in Australia pay a minimum of 32% tax. 

We all pay Thai taxes.  7% VAT sales tax to be exact.  More for those of us who have or currently do work here.
Long-term non-immigrate residents don't get a satang of VAT back like tourists.  So we shouldn't be paying dual tiered prices.  However, with that rant, I must admit that for the most part in many parks I have gone to, if I show my Thai Driver License I generally do not pay the 'Foreigner' price.  I either pay the Thai price or I get a discount.
In fact, the last park I went to was the Mae Fa Luang botanical gardens in Chiang Rai.  I paid less than my Thai wife.  My wife was charged the Thai rate and I was changed the 'Suang Aayu' or old person price <laughs>. So, lesson learned - use your spoken Thai, joke with the staff, don't be serious - interesting things can happen.

On 19/03/2018 at 10:21 AM, Wiggy said:

It's racism.

"It’s about 4 pound why moan your in a beautiful place yes it different price for Thai but when our wage is £100+a day and a Thai wage is 400 bhat a day can you see why price different” Dean"

It's also pretty shitty English, for an Emglishman :coffee1:

Ahhhhh.....this issue again :)  

I wonder if this issue will be discussed, say, 2...5....10..... years from now ? My wish is no _ I hope that the authorities will put an end to this practice in the not-too-distant future. But, sadly, my guess is yes.

8 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I keep reading all sorts of racist comments written by Westerners, by your logic that makes the policy makers of their home countries also racist, right?

It is clear that the dual pricing is not racist, it is based on nationality not race, so do spare us this endless repetition of nonsense.

QUOTE: so do spare us this endless repetition of nonsense.

Again, there is no need to be aggressive and insulting.

I get charged farang price and have been for many years unknowingly or I do not have any control over it. But when it comes to farang price being government sanctioned and encouraged I really have a problem with that. I will not visit anywhere where this is practised.!!!

Silly me I thought farang was what the thais called foreigners. Ah. You learn something new everyday. What is that old saying. "A fool and his money are soon parted"

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Sure try the USA. I was born and raised in Boston, MA  and if you go down to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail tourists will pay the rip off prices while residents get discounts for  showing local AAA card that gets them discounts for entrance at museums, souvenirs, parking, ect. Can pay $20 for different Boston t-shirts or go down to Washington Street  a block away and pay $6 at little kiosks or shops.  Imake 10 times more a month than a regular Thai so don't see the problem paying a little more so a regular Thai can afford to take their family to visit plces they could not afford at higher prices.  Maybe could see a little discount for  those farangs who live here. I only see complaints from cheap charlie  Brit  AND  USA pensioners who even complain about taxi fares and why because they are farang should have to tip. You know darn well if you were in Boston, NYC or London the fare would be much higher and you'd better look like tipping.

Not all farang in Thailand make 10 times more money than a thai...teachers get 30.000 baht in thailand and that's even less than social wellfare in my homecountry...is it fair to let them pay 10 times more? I don't think so.

Or farang married to a Thai who don't make much money because they want to be here with there kids all year and don't work abroad? 

It's racism against farang, pure greed. 

We should do the same in Europe, low price for Europeans and inflated prices for Asians/americans except Singaporeans/Malay.

Just now, Thian said:

Not all farang in Thailand make 10 times more money than a thai...teachers get 30.000 baht in thailand and that's even less than social wellfare in my homecountry...is it fair to let them pay 10 times more? I don't think so.

Or farang married to a Thai who don't make much money because they want to be here with there kids all year and don't work abroad? 

It's racism against farang, pure greed. 

We should do the same in Europe, low price for Europeans and inflated prices for Asians/americans except Singaporeans/Malay.

Nationalism not racism.

33 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

I get charged farang price and have been for many years unknowingly or I do not have any control over it. But when it comes to farang price being government sanctioned and encouraged I really have a problem with that. I will not visit anywhere where this is practised.!!!

Silly me I thought farang was what the thais called foreigners. Ah. You learn something new everyday. What is that old saying. "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Then why are you in Thailand? Go somewhere where the pricing is level.

I would not mind paying double to get in parks..40 baht..that seems fair t help run the place. But  the rest of the price I fear go into someone pocket. Food is another issue..When I see a menu with with no price I always ask in thai..how much ?

10 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Nationalism not racism.

Racism it is...They do it based on skin/hair-color and western look. If you happen to be a white westerner with thai passport they still will charge the 10foulded price so it's about skincolor/race.

If it was nationalism they would have to see your passport first but they don't do so.

What americans do with overcharging is nationalism.

In Europe racism is something very very illegal. We should not even let those Thai/Indian/Indonesian racists in our continent since we despise racists. 

6 minutes ago, Coastrider said:

I would not mind paying double to get in parks..40 baht..that seems fair t help run the place. But  the rest of the price I fear go into someone pocket. Food is another issue..When I see a menu with with no price I always ask in thai..how much ?

Menus nearly always have prices. The dodgy seafood places that scam tourists try to hide prices.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Racism it is...They do it based on skin/hair-color and western look. If you happen to be a white westerner with thai passport they still will charge the 10foulded price so it's about skincolor/race.

If it was nationalism they would have to see your passport first but they don't do so.

What americans do with overcharging is nationalism.

In Europe racism is something very very illegal. We should not even let those Thai/Indian/Indonesian racists in our continent since we despise racists. 

Thai ID gives you Thai price.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Menus nearly always have prices. The dodgy seafood places that scam tourists try to hide prices.

Menu's MUST have prices on them by thai law..if they dont have it make pictures of the place and report them.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Thai ID gives you Thai price.

That doesn't matter, they first overcharged that person because he looked western so it's about race, the western race in this case. We call that racism.

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

AAA isn't free either.  You had to pay to join.  AAA discounts have reciprocity with other motor clubs. 

The Royal Automobile Association of Thailand (RAAT)*

Address: 151 Ratchadapisek Road
Jatujak
10900 Bangkok

Web: www.raat.or.th

*Club participates in the global discounts program. Members of this club are eligible to receive discounts when traveling to other countries.

Just now, Thian said:

That doesn't matter, they first overcharged that person because he looked western so it's about race, the western race in this case. We call that racism.

Of course it matters. Most westerners are tourists. Unless one produces Thai ID or speaks Thai well they are right (most of the time) to assume it's a foreign tourist.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:13 PM, GreasyFingers said:

For all of the complainers do not go to a National Park in New South Wales. If you are a resident in the Municipality you get in for free, tourists pay. There is little difference to the Thai policy.

Wrong. If I was a legal resident in NSW, as an English bloke, and could prove it, I'd get the residents' price. They wouldn't say "Yes, you've proved you live here and are a resident but you're the wrong nationality, so pay up, sunshine".

About as different from the Thai policy as it could get.

14 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Wrong. If I was a legal resident in NSW, as an English bloke, and could prove it, I'd get the residents' price. They wouldn't say "Yes, you've proved you live here and are a resident but you're the wrong nationality, so pay up, sunshine".

Farangs with Thai ID get Thai price.

13 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yup...

Big queues outside NSW national parks as they force every one out of their cars and carefully segregate them into nationalities..,..they make Asians pay 10 times the amount of others..quoting "What's good enough for Shangri-La is good enough for us..!"

Fork..is that a skippy I see over there?

17 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Farangs with Thai ID get Thai price.

Farangs with Thai ID are Thai. 

I take it you're talking about foreigners with the Pink ID card which I've had for quite some time and with which I've frequently failed to get Thai price, despite my case being argued by a serving police Colonel and my BIL, who's Nayok  Or Bor Tor in Khon Kaen province (both of whom had their eyes opened about Thai differential pricing, as a result), plus less influential people.

10 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Farangs with Thai ID are Thai. 

I take it you're talking about foreigners with the Pink ID card which I've had for quite some time and with which I've frequently failed to get Thai price, despite my case being argued by a serving police Colonel and my BIL, who's Nayok  Or Bor Tor in Khon Kaen province (both of whom had their eyes opened about Thai differential pricing, as a result), plus less influential people.

I have a pink ID card.No concessions for me.

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I have a pink ID card.No concessions for me.

I have used pink ID for Thai price 4-5 times around Pattaya, free admission to floating markets, Thai price for nong nooch gardens, Thai price for lunch at Tiger park, admission to "Thai only" army beach south of pattaya.

Having lived in a couple of tourist places in Australia, there was dual pricing, free admission to local tourist attractions, locals discount at restaurants, resident parking sticker, 

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Those living in the municipality have to apply for a sticker on the car windscreen. No sticker, you pay.

Archived