Jump to content
BANGKOK
vi2004

Transfer visa to new passport - yes or no?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Jim P said:

I am about to apply for my Non immigrant O-A visa in the uk based on retirement. Its my first application and I understand I can use it for two years without showing funds if I leave the country and re-enter before the first year expires.

 

Now I have two questions, the first being about the funding. If I am to go down the income route I assume I will now have to start funding my account with a minimum 65,000 baht at the beginning of the second year to be eligible for my extension at the end of the year unlike before when I just required the affidavit letter.

 

Secondly my passport will expire about 3 months after the extension is granted, do I need to take any action about this?

 

Tia

Although you never stated it I guess you are planning on an Extension after the 2nd year on the Non-Imm OA is nearly over?

 

Yes you will need to be able to show 12 months of 65,000+ transfers into your account from overseas the day you submit the application.

I believe they will only issue an extension valid until the passport expires, which isn't really practical. Renew your passport before  the permit of stay expires. Not sure if you need to transfer the permission to stay stamp though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, elviajero said:

 

 

Get a new passport before you apply for the extension. Otherwise you’ll only be given a 3 month extension, and will have to apply for another 1 year extension when you get the new passport.

If I get a new passport is the original O-A visa transferable? If not I assume I will have  produce the two passports to the immigration office for the first extension, will this continue to be the case thereafter or will that extension stamp issued in the new passport suffice in the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although you never stated it I guess you are planning on an Extension after the 2nd year on the Non-Imm OA is nearly over?

 

 

 

Yes that`s correct Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim P said:

If I get a new passport is the original O-A visa transferable? If not I assume I will have  produce the two passports to the immigration office for the first extension, will this continue to be the case thereafter or will that extension stamp issued in the new passport suffice in the future.

 

No. They never transfer visas. Unexpired/unused Visas remain valid in a passport even if the passport has expired. The visa holder would carry/show both passports until the visa has expired.

 

In your case the visa will have expired and you’ll have an extension of stay of the last entry made with the visa. They will transfer the extension (permit) stamp to the new passport and make a note of the expired ‘O-A’ visa. They note the ‘O-A’ so you are able to extend again in the future. Once that’s done you won’t need to show the old passport/visa again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, elviajero said:

No. They never transfer visas. Unexpired/unused Visas remain valid in a passport even if the passport has expired. The visa holder would carry/show both passports until the visa has expired.

 

In your case the visa will have expired and you’ll have an extension of stay of the last entry made with the visa. They will transfer the extension (permit) stamp to the new passport and make a note of the expired ‘O-A’ visa. They note the ‘O-A’ so you are able to extend again in the future. Once that’s done you won’t need to show the old passport/visa again.

Excellent elviajero, thats whats I was hoping, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...