Phuket grandmother’s head crushed under 10-wheeler juggernaut

webfact

Phuket grandmother’s head crushed under 10-wheeler juggernaut

Eakkapop Thongtub

1521521570_1-org.jpg

Witnesses said the truck was travelling at speed down the road when it struck the motorbike. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtun

PHUKET: A 64-year-old woman driving a motorbike with her 11-year-old granddaughter as passenger died this morning (Mar 20) when her head was crushed under a 10-wheeled truck in rush-hour traffic in Rassada, north of Phuket Town.

Lt Sunan Petchnoo of the Phuket City Police was notified of the accident, near the intersection of Ruam Pattana Rd and Ratsadanusorn Rd, at 8:30am.

Kusoldharm rescue workers along with Mission Hospital Phuket medical staff soon arrived at the scene.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-grandmother-head-crushed-under-10-wheeler-juggernaut-66412.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-20

Majority of truck drivers here think they are driving Formula 1 cars; had one tailgating me for ten minutes last week until i was able to move out of his way, they just don't give a rats arse for anyone's safety.

RIP the Lady victim.

Takes 2 to tango. Theres an endless amount of old people with no helmets and never ever look or even have mirrors nor know how to use a blinker or look over there shoulder. This is an example of 2idiots colliding. Sorry to be harsh but fact. The grandaughter is the innocent one here and the only one to learn the hard way but thats evolution i guess.

43 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Shame you can't be bothered to read the report, she was wearing a helmet.

And if you bothered to read his post you would of seen he said a helmet wouldn't have mattered against this vehicle..... Which he was correct in stating. 

38 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

And if you bothered to read his post you would of seen he said a helmet wouldn't have mattered against this vehicle..... Which he was correct in stating. 

If you look at the photo montage in the full article I do believe the last photo shows what is left of the helmet ... not much 

11 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

If you look at the photo montage in the full article I do believe the last photo shows what is left of the helmet ... not much 

my point exactly. Nobody can deny helmets should be worn all the time by everyone, but as the poster stated in this instance it would not have mattered. 

The other Phuket news source (P... Gazette) has a video of the terrible accident.

As far as I remember it's not allowed to link to P.G.

The video does not fit the assumptions made in the threat.

Absolutely no speeding involved!

This grandma has a 100% blackout and cuts in front of the truck to turn right.

Maybe as close as 2 meters in front of the truck.

The driver had close to no chance of avoiding the accident.

Or may even be possible that he didn't see her from his seating position.

He stops only after bumping over her.

Sorry to say, but another unbelievable behavior of a motorcycle rider.

20 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

I'm sure that having dark tint film masking off the bottom quarter of the windscreen really helps to see what's close in front of (or about to pull out in front of) you too..... It'd be like looking out through a slit.

Andrew

That might be another reason that he didn't even notice the bike cutting extremely close in front of him.

This is the folly of undertaking and then turning right! Sad but she really didn't give the truckie much chance to see her, compounded by his limited downward / forward visibility. I see this every day with motorbikes whizzing up the inside and then popping out to change lanes in front of me (and I don't drive slow!) But hey even cars do it, and then leave it until the last moment to nail it across to the U turn they want.

Andrew

58 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

What was the old lady thinking. She makes her way up the inside of the slow moving truck and just turns in right in front of him. Note the truck is in no way speeding.

She was either thinking of suicide or not thinking at all, that's the only two options :sad:

Love Thaivisa...!!

First ten posts condemning the truck driver.....and accusing him of killing the poor lady...

then some posts a video of the actual event...

Next posts are all about how bad she (and other m-bike riders) is driving....

my point exactly. Nobody can deny helmets should be worn all the time by everyone, but as the poster stated in this instance it would not have mattered. 
Was it a barely legal helmet or full face helmet?

RIP to the deceased.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How's the truck driver supposed to see a bike coming from his left side cut across immediately in front of him from his position in the drivers seat. Having driven  trucks in Australia for 50 years I've never such stupid drivers as these Thais and their me first mentality

10 hours ago, JOC said:

Love Thaivisa...!!

First ten posts condemning the truck driver.....and accusing him of killing the poor lady...

then some posts a video of the actual event...

Next posts are all about how bad she (and other m-bike riders) is driving....

We can only post on the info put in front of us

The CCTV footage showed what actually happened

The eye witnesses got it wrong

This is just another case of stupidity that shows why using Thai roads is not the safest of pastimes

The video makes it pretty clear what happened. 100% the woman's fault but a normal day on the roads here.

Dashcams, people- dashcams!

There was a bump across the road from me the other day, someone pulling in and clipped a MB coming up his inside (in this case he may have failed to signal). Tried to explain to TG that even though he may not have signalled the guy shouldn't be coming up his inside. She just couldn't grasp that this is wrong because 'everybody does it'!

On 3/20/2018 at 12:10 PM, trainman34014 said:

Majority of truck drivers here think they are driving Formula 1 cars; had one tailgating me for ten minutes last week until i was able to move out of his way, they just don't give a rats arse for anyone's safety.

RIP the Lady victim.

All the trucks and buses in Thailand are way underpowered. I don't know what they are trying to save ,tax or fuel. This causes a bad situation because they take a long time to get up to cruising speed and do not like to slow down.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, Goldieinkathu said:

She was either thinking of suicide or not thinking at all, that's the only two options :sad:

Examining the CCTV I note virtually all the traffic was turning right into that street.

I think the bike rider assumed the truck was also going to do so, and was just continuing her inside passing maneuver as they turned the corner.

The truck was going very slowly and his positioning on the road made it seem he was also turning.

(It's amazing, and a little scary, that witnesses stated the truck was speeding when in fact it was almost stationary!!)

On 20/03/2018 at 8:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

This grandma has a 100% blackout and cuts in front of the truck to turn right.

Maybe as close as 2 meters in front of the truck.

The driver had close to no chance of avoiding the accident.

Or may even be possible that he didn't see her from his seating position.

He stops only after bumping over her.

Sorry to say, but another unbelievable behavior of a motorcycle rider.

Agree and unfortunately I see it all the time here........many older Thai m/c drivers have absolutely no road sense or common sense, pulling out of side roads without looking right or left, only seeing what is directly ahead of them in that split second, never mind what is just metres away, and the same applies to turning or making any moves. The mirrors and indicators are just ornaments.

I drive my m/c and car and have to keep reminding myself that the Thai drivers are idiots, so keep a very watchful eye on everything they do, which has saved my bacon (and theirs) many times.

In addition, anticipation is something alien to them as they never consider, "what if" or "what is that driver likely to do/could do which might endanger me/them"................and so on. I'm sure you get the message.

Sadly it won't change.

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Examining the CCTV I note virtually all the traffic was turning right into that street.

I think the bike rider assumed the truck was also going to do so, and was just continuing her inside passing maneuver as they turned the corner.

The truck was going very slowly and his positioning on the road made it seem he was also turning.

(It's amazing, and a little scary, that witnesses stated the truck was speeding when in fact it was almost stationary!!)

I'd not thought of that . "Assume" would never occur to me when driving on these roads , I must remember that one.:blink:

I prefer the "wasn't thinking" theory, but maybe you're right.

11 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I'd not thought of that . "Assume" would never occur to me when driving on these roads , I must remember that one.:blink:

I prefer the "wasn't thinking" theory, but maybe you're right.

I work on assumption all the time on the roads here.

I assume everyone around me may do something dangerous, illegal or just plain stupid at any time.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, LivinginKata said:

Anyone else see the weird flash to the left of the truck at 17 seconds?

Seen this sort of thing in videos where people die before, i'm not superstitious, but that's a bit spooky... the whole video is glitch free apart from this weird split second flash.

RIP

Archived