BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

By The Nation

29342437_1055689581238248_3490469580147523584_n.jpg

Facebook Watchdogthailand

Ten animal-rights groups issued an urgent plea on Monday for foreigners living in Hua Hin to claim “ownership” of stray dogs being rounded up there, lest the animals be put to death.

The groups posted on the Watchdog Thailand Facebook page after Livestock Department officials rounded up stray dogs in the neighbourhood of a house whose owner died from a cat bite.

They said the captured strays were wearing tags to show they’d been vaccinated against rabies.

They expressed doubt about the livestock officials’ clam that the dogs would be kept at a quarantine centre in Phetchaburi and then sent to a government-run animal shelter in Buri Ram.

The groups suspect instead that the dogs would be exterminated as per the rabies-control law.

They said Western expatriates who have been feeding the strays should come forward and claim to “own” the dogs to save them from being put down.

Making the plea were the Save Elephant Foundation, SOS Animals Thailand, the Hope Thailand, A Call For Animal Rights Thailand, Thai Love Animals, the Man That Rescued Dogs, Pac Pattaya, Dog Nation, Soi Dogs Matter and Watchdog Thailand.

An official at the Hua Hin Livestock Office, speaking on condition of anonymity, warned however that legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to obstruct rabies-control efforts.

They could be charged with violating Article 23 of the animal-cruelty act, which prohibits pet owners from releasing their animals on streets, the official said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341324

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-20

Let´s hope this campaign goes away quickly. The more strays that can be shot off, the better.

Utterly nonsense....!!

When the Thai authorities finally have decided to address to stray-dog problem, we don't need a group of expats to act as 'angels' for the poor poor dogs..

Strays are a menage and spread diseases.....

And sadly (I like dogs) there is only one (final) solution to the problem...

A very misguided and misplaced charitable move for a very deadly situation.

Would these activists let possibly malarial Mosquito's carry on sucking on them or do they swat them flat ?

Those farang will be the new owners of those dogs. Fine them every day again if they don't keep their pets on their own land.

After 3 fines the punishment will go more harsh...

If i ever drive my motocy and get an accident caused by a freerunning soidog owned by a farang i sure will use my free legal assistance of the travelinsurance and let them claim ALL costs on him/her farang.

You do realize that they are going to kill stray dogs because someone died of a CAT bite, right?

I'm not recommending they kill every cat, but this is a bizarre response to a non-existent problem. The dogs didn't cause this problem.

Five or six people will die from rabies this year. How many people will die on the roads?

Why don't we fix the driving problems here first?

Misguided priorities.

So, just give all those who want to save the soi dogs to stay a rabies shot... and I don't mean the vaccine! Rabies is spreading in Thailand at the moment and all the soi dogs/cats is one of the mayor reasons for that... but hey let them live and attack a human today, tomorrow or any other day!!! 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Why not urge Thais to do this! 

I doubt the expats are kicking their pets out on the street! Well I don't do that.

these groups 'suspect' and 'expressed concern' nothing more. it's rabies. let them do their job and good luck to those who take ownership of a dog that potentially has rabies and bites someone. hope you have plenty of money

I like to play with numbers.....

Thailand has approx 1.000.000 stray dogs

Since it not religiously correct to kill dogs here...they have to be placed in shelters

Cost for each dog/day about 50 baht....(food, vet,rent and staff)

Dogs live around 12 years....Some will die soon because of age...others are week old puppies...so average time in the shelter 6 years..

6 years equals (6x365) 2190 days

So the animal rights groups need to raise a little money...

1.000.000 x 50 x 2190 = 109.500.000.000 baht       A whopping 109.5 billion baht

Time to open a few go-fund-me accounts....:coffee1:

4 hours ago, el jefe said:

You do realize that they are going to kill stray dogs because someone died of a CAT bite, right?

I'm not recommending they kill every cat, but this is a bizarre response to a non-existent problem. The dogs didn't cause this problem.

Five or six people will die from rabies this year. How many people will die on the roads?

Misguided priorities.

You do realize 6 people already died this year?Do you realize how many accidents are caused by dogs crossing the streets?

14 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

The person died of rabies, coming from a cat bite.

Dogs also carry rabies, so they decided to remove animals which can carry rabies.

Sounds logic to me.

Already six have died this year, so you claim none more will die the coming 9 months?

How many people die on the roads caused by soi dogs crossing the street?

Not misguided priorities, but finally a problem that is being tackled in more than a 3-day crackdown (i hope).

12 hours ago, JOC said:

Since it not religiously correct to kill dogs here...they have to be placed in shelters

I wonder how many new born kittens and puppies are drowned every year? And, yes, it does happen.

15 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

I think you'll find that rabies has a high priority world wide. The problem is that some countries (Third World/Developing) don't act on this priority hence outbreaks occur. You use the word bizarre. This I believe is an apt adjective for you're rationale somehow trying to link road fatalities to a rabies outbreak.

Why doesnt each animal rights person take two dogs each into their

homes, feed and keep them safe. Then if found back on the streets again should have a large fine. That would change their attitudes. How many of those dogs are suffering pain everyday and can't tell anyone. As a true dog lover I believe all dogs should have an owner and be safely cared for.