Making A Smoked Ham

In the Rai!

Hi all,

I am going to start on a new endevour in making a ham.

I do however need a few ingredients before doing so.

The one which I believe is the hardest is the "cure" for curing the pork first.

I also have a smoker for smoking meats on a low heat (just a BBQ with a very deep base) . It can also just be used a slow cooker without smoking.

Does anyone know where "cure" can be found in Chiang Rai?

Does anyone know where wood chips can be found in Chiang Rai?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or any advice from anyone who has done it before would be great.

ITR :o

Edited by In the Rai!

Hi all,

I also have a smoker for smoking meats on a low heat (just a BBQ with a very deep base) . It can also just be used a slow cooker without smoking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or any advice from anyone who has done it before would be great.

ITR, I've got a book here that seems to cover everything about curing and smoking. If you want to borrow it, and my past is strewn with the bodies of those who never returned books, give me a PM. I'll be in town to pick up a mate at the airport Friday morning and will do a little light shopping at Big C on the home run.

Hi all,

ITR, I've got a book here that seems to cover everything about curing and smoking. If you want to borrow it, and my past is strewn with the bodies of those who never returned books, give me a PM. I'll be in town to pick up a mate at the airport Friday morning and will do a little light shopping at Big C on the home run.

Thanks heaps mate, I will do.

ITR

Hi all,

ITR :D

Hi ITR

I just finished one and it was great.........didn;t manage to smoke it but roasted it in the oven with a little "liquid smoke" (ex Villa in BKK) having been put into the brine mix during the cure.

Like you, I tried and tried in CR with no success other than normal non-iodized salt. In the end I went and found the stuff in BKK but that was easy as I'm going quite often these days.

Will try to get you some if you like..Drop me a PM or an e-mail and I;ll see what can be done

Cheers, AjarnP :o

Edited by AjarnP

Here is what we used to do at home years ago.Not sure 100%,but it was close to the following.

1/2 - cup plain sea salt

1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar

1 litre water

probably a bit hard to find a brine pump,but you could use an industrial syringe.Pump leg full of brine untill it starts to bulge and look like frankenstiens face.Cover as much of the leg as possible.once you have done this,soak the leg in the brine for 24 hours.

You can add anything you like to the brine to suit yourself and your own taste etc.I think my old man used to add pepercorns and cloves,but I cannot be sure.

then smoke the bugger. :o

Hi all,

ITR :D

Thanks heaps mate, I will do.

ITR

Hey there Mr Rai

Why can't you live nearer Bangers ...? :o

My mouth is bloody salivating like a fasting hyena at a buffalo carcass ... :D

Can you send me a couple of slices in the post please ...?

Hope it tatses good :D

Cheers DJT