Voice TV’s Tonight Thailand programme off the air for 15 days

snoop1130

Voice TV’s Tonight Thailand programme off the air for 15 days

887DE281-844A-43A9-A0C4-21ECADCFB9DB.jpeg

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has ordered the Tonight Thailand programme of Voice TV to be off the air for 15 days effectively starting today (Tuesday) until April 3, citing the presentation of a programme of being provocative, incitement of conflict and division and causing public confusion.

The programme suspension order was signed by NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tanthasit on Monday.

According to a post on Voice TV website, the NBTC felt that the presentation of a programme in Tonight Thailand programme on March 1 contained content which was likely to cause confusion, incite conflict and division in the country which was deemed a breach of an agreement between NBTC and Voice TV dated June 4, 2017.

Also, the NBTC believed that the company did not screen the content of the programme in question before it was broadcasted.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/voice-tvs-tonight-thailand-programme-off-air-15-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-3-20

I can understand their concern.

Whilst the vast majority of the audience probably don't have the foggiest idea about the French Revolution, it might lead to a few inquisitive souls going onto "Google" and cats could start leaping from bags all over the place.

Mind you, taking them off the air for that reason should help raise awareness...

That's it: go on banning, repressing, oppressing, and the rest - because you know you can; because you know that the overwhelming majority of the Thais will DO NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF IT! Not that they like this state of affairs, mind - but they won't actually DO anything (in their millions)  - and that is all that matters to the junta.

But of course, make sure the latest Thai soap opera is still being broadcast every night.. Cancellation of that really would trigger a Thai 'French Revolution' (we have to get our priorities straight here, don't we?!).

NBTC orders Voice TV’s ‘Tonight Thailand’ off air for discussing French Revolution

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation

ec815d81c90cfced99bbe268b065c54b.jpeg

Voice TV’s nightly news talk programme “Tonight Thailand” has been ordered to go off air for 15 days after the show discussed the French Revolution.

The station reported on Tuesday that the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) had ordered it, using an administrative measure, to suspend its broadcasting of the programme at any time for 15 days, and not to rerun the banned episodes either.

The order, signed by NBTC secretary-general Thakorn Tantasit and dated March 19, elaborated that the March 1 episode of “Tonight Thailand”, having discussed the French Revolution, was inappropriate and did not fit local circumstances.

The presentation could lead to confusion, sedition and division within the Kingdom, and the alleged action violated the junta’s orders, the order read.

The news talk show also infringed the conditions that Voice TV had agreed with the NBTC in June 2014, less than two weeks after the military coup.

The NBTC at the time had summoned the station’s executives to clarify its news programmes – not only “Tonight Thailand”, but also the morning news talk show, “Wake up Thailand” – that presented controversial issues. 

The NBTC called for the station to be careful about its presentations.

Voice TV had been hit with similar orders to the one issued on Monday several times since the military seized power in 2014.

The station’s executive, Mekit Petchplai, released a statement on Tuesday announcing that it would petition the order with the Administrative Court, as well as file a civil action against the NBTC.

In the statement, Mekin also complained that Voice TV had always been under strict scrutiny by both the NBTC and the ruling National Council for Peace and Order. 

The inspection by the NBTC and its order to stop the broadcast affect the station both as a business and a media outlet, he said.

He questioned whether the treatment was fair and lawful and insisted on the station’s right to maintain its role as an open media outlet.

The executive called for fellow media operators to also come forward and help protect media freedom as challenged by the NBTC order.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341359

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-21

Here is some interesting history about France and Thailand. The French have the first historical record of an attempt to introduce Christianity to Thailand in the 1550s. The preacher tried to convert the Thais for three years before heading back home. No luck.

In the 1860s, the Dutch, the English and the French, competed with each other for tin at Phuket. Back then, the island was called Junk Ceylon.

There was a French-Thai war in 1940 over some land. Koh Chang even saw some action with a few boats being sunk. When the dust had settled, Thailand erected the Victory Monument.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"....citing the presentation of a programme of being provocative, incitement of conflict and division and causing public confusion".

So the Friday night public TV address to the nation, complete with mindless poetry and songs, does not cause public confusion?

15 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

So the Friday night public TV address to the nation, complete with mindless poetry and songs, does not cause public confusion?

I don't think so. I don't think anyone bothers to watch it anymore...

Just now, JAG said:

I don't think so. I don't think anyone bothers to watch it anymore...

Don't tell him that........please!! 

It might make him feel unwanted and he may bring in a law to make it compulsory viewing.

3 hours ago, missoura said:

Here is some interesting history about France and Thailand. The French have the first historical record of an attempt to introduce Christianity to Thailand in the 1550s. The preacher tried to convert the Thais for three years before heading back home. No luck.

In the 1860s, the Dutch, the English and the French, competed with each other for tin at Phuket. Back then, the island was called Junk Ceylon.

There was a French-Thai war in 1940 over some land. Koh Chang even saw some action with a few boats being sunk. When the dust had settled, Thailand erected the Victory Monument.

The French put Bangkok under the guns of two warships on the 20th of July 1893.

They had been charged 10 times the entrance fee and were a trifle miffed..

The French did "miffing" very well in those far off days.. and they got in for free.

29 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Seeing as confusion is the beginning of wisdom - as it urges one to go out and seek and unravel the truth - it is not surprising that such 'confusion' must be banned in Thailand. We cannot have a quest for  truth, can we?!

I knew it, the ban had to have something to do with "farangs"!

They are nothing but trouble to the peace loving gentle people of the Kingdom. Coming here with their talk of democracy; revolution and a society of equals, nothing but communists (and we all know Thais hate communists and communist countries).

It appears the French are the worst, trying to indoctrinate wholesome Thais with ideas such as "Liberté, égalité, fraternité". 

Deport them all, send them back I say. Nobody here eats cake, let them eat rice!

7 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

They are nothing but trouble to the peace loving gentle people of the Kingdom. Coming here with their talk of democracy; revolution and a society of equals, nothing but communists (and we all know Thais hate communists and communist countries).

It appears the French are the worst, trying to indoctrinate wholesome Thais with ideas such as "Liberté, égalité, fraternité". 

Deport them all, send them back I say. Nobody here eats cake, let them eat rice!

There is a certain linguistic symmetry here because "farang" means "Frank" (feringhi).

Frank-Frankreich-Francia-France.

11 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Imagine the minefield of having to teach the French Revolution or Cromwell's Civil War and the attendant ideas of republicanism or libertarianism at university level here in Thailand!

Some of us are well aware of the multiple dangers involved in trying to educate a country whose rulers have a different view of 'education' ....

Perhaps a lecturer on the French Revolution should teach it thusly here: 'There was once upon a time a really terrible, horrible, devilish and evil bunch of people in France who did not like their ruler and they decided upon the wicked, silly, stupid idea of people's being equal, free, and brothers. Thank Goodness we were never infected by such nonsense here ....!'.

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Imagine the minefield of having to teach the French Revolution or Cromwell's Civil War and the attendant ideas of republicanism or libertarianism at university level here in Thailand!

Some of us are well aware of the multiple dangers involved in trying to educate a country whose rulers have a different view of 'education' ....

Or  the Gettysburg address....

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Or  the Gettysburg address....

Yes, indeed. I seem to remember the words (but don't think I've heard them here in Thailand, for some odd reason):

"a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

As I see it, the current rulers see nothing wrong with the current "non-education" system and see no need to change it. I suspect their preferred route would be the establishment of "re-education" camps similar to those set up in Vietnam are the war and still currently in use in China.

Ok, so now 10,000 Thai who had no clue as to what the French Revolution was, are now curious as to why the program was banned, and immediately went to their computers and Googled the French Revolution to find out what all the concern was about. 

By banning a program which would have run with normal viewership, the government inadvertently increased Thai curiosity ten fold about it. 

11 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

There is a certain linguistic symmetry here because "farang" means "Frank" (feringhi).

Frank-Frankreich-Francia-France.

I had not realised that (he said lying through his teeth.

I am sure you are aware that most British people, including myself, have a great love for and affnity with France, the country, its people, culture, food and wonderfull political system.

28 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I am sure you are aware that most British people, including myself, have a great love for and affnity with France, the country, its people, culture, food and wonderfull political system.

One of the greats of France was Voltaire, who championed tolerance and the right to express one's viewpoint. Although the following quote is apocryphally attributed to Voltaire (it cannot anywhere be verified as his), it does harmonise with his thinking:

'I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it'.

Would Voltaire have been seen as an intellectual hero or as a trouble-maker in Thailand, who caused 'confusion' ....?

Just now, BigBadGeordie said:

I had not realised that (he said lying through his teeth.

Yup... never a truer word has ever been written (he types lying thru his teeth):smile:

But back to "farangs",media bannings,a dash of Histoire..et al..,

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

One of the greats of France was Voltaire, who championed tolerance and the right to express one's viewpoint. Although the following quote is apocryphally attributed to Voltaire (it cannot anywhere be verified as his), it does harmonise with his thinking:

'I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it'.

Would Voltaire have been seen as an intellectual hero or as trouble-maker in Thailand, who caused 'confusion' ....?

Voltaire in Thailand?Oh ha..ha..ha..

He'd be in Dubai in under 10 minutes..

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Voltaire in Thailand?Oh ha..ha..ha..

He'd be in Dubai in under 10 minutes.

Or residing in an attitude adjustment centre; permanently.

There is one of those places in Udon Thani Province. Cries/screams can be heard in the dead of night.

Archived