That sand ain't good enough for Pattaya - authorities scurry to act

webfact

That sand ain't good enough for Pattaya - authorities scurry to act

6pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

Coastal authorities in Pattaya have discovered that sand they intended to use to replenish a 2.8 kilometer stretch of beach is not good enough.

The sand was meant to come from Koh Rang but has been deemed by harbor master officer Ekkarat Khantaro as being just not good enough quality for Pattaya.

So the authorities are trying to find alternatives that will make the Pattaya beach from north to south beautiful again.

They need 400,000 cubic meters so if anyone has some lovely golden sand please let them know.

But Ekkarat told Pattaya News not to worry - the sand will be sourced and work will commence in April and all will be hunky dory soon.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-21

1 minute ago, webfact said:

They need 400,000 cubic meters

There's loads on the road near my house in Bang Saray - the authorities have been putting in new drains here for FOUR months now.  They have made the road impassable and now it severely floods when it rains.

Hire some Dutch sand-hoppers, they are used to do it and use the sand from the sea. Examples enough along the Dutch coast! My God it is not so hard. For example the beach of Hook of Holland ( Netherlands) made 40 yrs ago very wide and some now dunes and still exist.

8 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

Hire some Dutch sand-hoppers, they are used to do it and use the sand from the sea. Examples enough along the Dutch coast! My God it is not so hard. For example the beach of Hook of Holland ( Netherlands) made 40 yrs ago very wide and some now dunes and still exist.

Ah but, this is Thai sand/sea, very very different.

I understand they are planning to develop a "Thai wheel" very soon.

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzz...this is my back yard...how <deleted> retarded can these people be....the 4th failure...

I expect the sand in question would be fine for you!

Anything to get the damned job finished!

I can recall Miami when they need larger beaches.... they dredged the sand from a few hundred meters from the share and sent it right where it was needed.  But I guess pattaya sand even a few hundred meters into the sea is just as polluted as their beaches... 

5 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Here only goons exist. Though the 2 words may rhyme, the meaning is completely different.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I expect the sand in question would be fine for you!

Anything to get the damned job finished!

what a stupid comment...do you ever go to this part of our beach?? do you even live near here.?? have you seen the amount of broken coral washing up around soi1from 4 years of dredging this bay.??..these failures cost money, time and damage the already fragile coastline.......and you have a silly comment ...

21 minutes ago, mok199 said:

what a stupid comment...do you ever go to this part of our beach?? do you even live near here.?? have you seen the amount of broken coral washing up around soi1from 4 years of dredging this bay.??..these failures cost money, time and damage the already fragile coastline.......and you have a silly comment ...

Yes,  yes, although maybe not 'near now' a short drive..

So you DON'T want the job finished, well I do!

I doubt the coral will recover, sewage flowed in around that spot for years and years.

And you have a noxious response! Take a pill! Where do people like you come from?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

not good enough quality for Pattaya.

It was missing:
- cigarette butts  

- plastic bottles

- plastic bags

- dog's shit
- homeless' feces and pee

- oil pollution from the jet skis

- all other garbage you can imagine that's on Pattaya's beach.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

How many years they been looking for sand?

Quite a few. They dump some sand to make the beach good again, and then the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there to make the beach good again, and the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there to make the beach good again, and the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there.....

What is the definition of insanity......

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

It was missing:
- cigarette butts  

- plastic bottles

- plastic bags

- dog's shit
- homeless' feces and pee

- oil pollution from the jet skis

- all other garbage you can imagine that's on Pattaya's beach.

you forgot condoms.

Didn't we have this same story a couple years ago?  They were looking for sand then, too, and I remember commenting that it's all out in the ocean--just haul it back to the beach where it originally was.  TINBS.  (This is not brain surgery)

I love the sand on Koh Samet. I wonder how much it would cost to dredge 400K mof that grade of sand? It's fantastic!

Also; a friend of mine passing through Jomtien right now from a trip to New Zealand and Australia before returning to Blighty showed me a video of Manly Beach in Sydney. What a lovely beach that is! So much more expanse and talcum powder like sand similar to Koh Samet; oh and so clean too.

It would have been nice had Pattaya City Council been able to improve the sand quality of Jomtien and Dongtan beaches during their recent refurbishments as even though I work right on Dongtan Beach, I really don't like walking on the sand there because it feels course; almost sticky and most definitely not powdery fresh like - Koh Samet. :sad:

On 3/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, RotMahKid said:

I don't know about the sand-hoppers. But maybe they should hire outside professionals, e.g. the Dutch.

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Quite a few. They dump some sand to make the beach good again, and then the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there to make the beach good again, and the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there to make the beach good again, and the sea washes it away so they dump some sand there.....

They've been doing it, at least, since 2000.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

No, not insanity.   It's smart.  It's protecting your asset.  Beach replenishment is done all the time when needed in beach communities in America.   People go to the beach for a beach.   The cost is considered worth it, to keep the people going to your beach community rather than another one that has a beach that hasn't washed away.

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

No, not insanity.   It's smart.  It's protecting your asset.  Beach replenishment is done all the time when needed in beach communities in America.   People go to the beach for a beach.   The cost is considered worth it, to keep the people going to your beach community rather than another one that has a beach that hasn't washed away.

You miss the point. They repeatedly replace the sand but take absolutely no steps to stop it washing away again. There are ways to do that, if they care to study the problem properly with qualified people. Unfortunately that probably means overseas experts, and Thais have an abysmal track record of taking advice from foreigners.

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You miss the point. They repeatedly replace the sand but take absolutely no steps to stop it washing away again. There are ways to do that, if they care to study the problem properly with qualified people. Unfortunately that probably means overseas experts, and Thais have an abysmal track record of taking advice from foreigners.

Where have they repeatedly replaced sand?   I've been in Pattaya over 7 years and so far they haven't even finished the one sand project I know of by north Pattaya.  Perhaps I missed some.

Archived