Work Permit for Part Time Teachers Assistant?

Hi all, last night my wifes friend asked me if I'm interested in working at their school as a teachers assistant, one full day a week.

I asked the school director about a work permit but he said it's not needed because of the position title (teachers assistant as opposed to being a teacher).

However, I'm certain I would need a work permit.  What I am unsure about is how easy it would be to get one, based on being a part time teachers assistant in rural Thailand.

I'm already in Thailand on a Non-O multi entry visa based on marriage and the last thing I want to do is break the law.  What I'm wondering, is if this is potentially more trouble than it's worth. 

Does anyone have any experience with obtaining a work permit in this situation?

A year and a half ago, I came out of retirement to work as a part-time teacher at our local high school. The school presented me with a contract which specified that I was to work full-time hours. When I pointed out that this was not what we had agreed, they said that the Labour Dept. would not issue a Work Permit for me to work only 3 days/wk. (10 contact hrs./wk.), which is what we had agreed.

Perhaps have someone at the school contact your local Labour Dept. office, as local policies may vary. 

You need a WP for any kind of work. If the school doesn't want to go the trouble, move on. It only means trouble for you.

Part=time jobs are allowed. But they might check if you are a teacher or a teaching assistant in order to circumvent the rules regarding teachers. Your school will have to contact the labour office.

Op, you're okay working on your non-O visa based on marriage. The title teacher's assistant, curriculum consultant, etc are used to apply for a work permit, but not all labor offices nationwide are doing that.

I've never heard that they give you a work permit for one day only. Ask your labor department what they say, anything else is wasted time.

Please page me if you need an example of how the wording should be that the LD is satisfied. Many school administrators do not know how to write such a contract. 

The only way you'll pull this off is with the full backing of the school. If they are not paying you then maybe they'll be willing to pay for the wp. It's not cheap, then there's the paperwork.

The contract (more paperwork) might be worded on a per hour basis. I doubt you'll be approved for WP for a few hours a month.

The director IMO does not have your best interest at heart. No, you don't need one is the lazy, I don't care about you answer.

I seriously doubt they will do the paperwork on this, even if you work for free. If it's not a good school, teaching good kids you'll get tired of working for nothing very quickly. Taken for granted as well.

I worked part-time for a semester. The school made a part-time contract, it went to the labor department and they issued me a work permit. Everything was done exactly the same as every full-time job I've ever had here. I f the director says no, then go back home and forget about them. Tell your wife's friend, I'm sorry but you have to follow the laws and rules of Thailand, smile and change the subject.

ps. I'm a Non-O extension holder based on marriage also.

51 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I worked part-time for a semester. The school made a part-time contract, it went to the labor department and they issued me a work permit. Everything was done exactly the same as every full-time job I've ever had here. I f the director says no, then go back home and forget about them. Tell your wife's friend, I'm sorry but you have to follow the laws and rules of Thailand, smile and change the subject.

ps. I'm a Non-O extension holder based on marriage also.

The issue is that each province and the respective offices interpret the R NR differently...fun fun fun.

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

The issue is that each province and the respective offices interpret the R NR differently...fun fun fun.

Yes, we have had a number of full-time employees on a non-O based on marriage and in one province, they said they would not issue a Work Permit unless they changed to non-B first.    That was a few years back, though.  

So much of it depends on where you are at.  

38 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The rules are the same everywhere. The issue is that people don't stand up for their rights.

If the head of the labor department decides that you've got to have a Non-B, there's not much you can do.

Which rights?

Very similar to issuing a work permit for those who're a teacher's assistant, curriculum consultant, or whatever you name the baby. They don't have to issue such a work permit when they believe that these people work fulltime as teachers. 

You have the right to appeal. A denial must be given in writing and ultimately there is the court.

I had problems myself, which have been sorted. They know I am cooperative but don't be walked over. Had a new WP with a new employer without any problems.

On 3/26/2018 at 2:29 PM, Preacher said:

You have the right to appeal. A denial must be given in writing and ultimately there is the court.

I had problems myself, which have been sorted. They know I am cooperative but don't be walked over. Had a new WP with a new employer without any problems.

Never had any problems with work permits. Maybe trouble just follows you?

There is no problem in the real world (Bangkok) to work on an O visa. There hasn't been for at least five years in Bangkok. If a married teacher has issues, look deeper.

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

Never had any problems with work permits. Maybe trouble just follows you?

There is no problem in the real world (Bangkok) to work on an O visa. There hasn't been for at least five years in Bangkok. If a married teacher has issues, look deeper.

Never had problems too, until there was a new section chief at the labour office that didn't understand the rules.

And my problem was not with teaching on a non-O, no problem with that if married.

Archived