Customs defend right to charge air passenger 20,000 baht for tax on designer bag

webfact

On 21/03/2018 at 6:55 PM, Thian said:

In Holland you're even allowed to bring in fakes, maximum 3 pieces...

But a product without pricetags, box, receipt is not new...nobody will pay the new full price for it. And when it looks used from scratches or stains it sure isn't new.

I don't know for germany, i just drive over the border and there's not even a checkpoint. We bring stuff out of germany since it's cheaper there.

But even germany has to acknowledge that a used purse is not new, so how can they charge importtax and vat on that? 

Can I take a wild guess that when you are driving over the border, that you are coming from another EU country where they have been following EU tax rules

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No your muddying the topic.. i should have known that you as a lady would get rattled up by a handbag even if it benefited the poor. 

There are 2 seperate issues
- Paying of tax if you buy stuff abroad (over certain limits)
- Using bags, computers and the likes that you previously bought and maybe paid tax on. (if your traveling with something that looks real new.. keep the receipt to show you owned it b4)

So I am pro paying taxes on imports (though I like all others try to avoid them too.. I just don't complain if i get caught)
Against paying taxes on stuff that is not new.

Agreed... I see it as two largely independent issues as well.

I think the issue of taxation of goods acquired abroad and imported into the Kingdom is fair game for the taxation entities (call me Customs or Excise). Yes, one can argue the tax rate applied and the "fairness", "rightness" or even "competitiveness" of said tax rate, but in the end, I support the application of taxes in line with the rules.

The other issue is the (what I will call) misapplication of taxes, duties and/or fees on items that were initially acquired IN Thailand (and therefore have already been tax/duty/fee paid) taken out of the Kingdom and are now being reimported/returned to the kingdom.

In this case it's hard to say as the claim about tags being in the bag, makes me think it was in fact new and being imported (thus subject to the taxation formula) --- but it could also be an item that (was already tax paid and bought here) and being returned with the owner/passenger. So I'm just not sure.

So.. in those cases, I would support a mechanism/process to: a) allow you to take the item with you at time of import, tax-paid at that time, and then be able to file for an independent review/appeal later.... or B) the ability to leave the item with customs for X days - tax UNpaid, and have an appeal heard.. this way you have the right of appeal and two ways to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, PAIBKK said:

A year and a half ago, a friend from Danmark got fleeced over a 5 year old designer's suitcase. He had to pay 25,000 THB and would have gotten his tax money back when leaving the country 2 weeks later with the designer's suitcase. That's what Thai customs promised. He's still waiting for the return of his money as he didn't get it in cash but with a cheque that was not covered outside Thailand and now has expired.

The last part of that sounds like nonsense.

What is a cheque that was "not covered outside Thailand", do you mean a cheque issued by Thai bank, the Customs Dept bank? 

Cheques issued anywhere in the world by banks (or individuals) are valid anywhere, they just have to be paid in to the beneficiary's bank account and then go through the banking system.  When the beneficiary's bank receives confirmation from the issuing bank that the cheque is ok and cleared the beneficiary bank clears it to the account that it was originally credited to.

If your friend let the cheque go out of date, that's his fault, not Customs.  He should contact the Customs Dept and ask for the cheque to be re-issued.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, Thian said:

My wife goes shopping in the King Power shop and let a friend who fly's abroad pick it up at Swampy airport when they return, where it's ready and waiting for them, taxfree.

"My wife goes shopping in the King Power shop and let a friend who fly's abroad pick it up at Swampy airport when they return, where it's ready and waiting for them, taxfree".

How does her friend do that, does she have your wife's passport that has to be shown?

5 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Can I take a wild guess that when you are driving over the border, that you are coming from another EU country where they have been following EU tax rules

How are there EU tax rules if tax rates vary all around the Union?

15 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

How are there EU tax rules if tax rates vary all around the Union?

Probably he meant the "rule" that you can ship/bring an item from one country of the EU to another country of the EU without paying tax.

Archived