At least 16 killed and many injured in Korat road accident

webfact

At least 16 killed and many injured in Korat road accident Wednesday night

By Prasit Tangprasert 
The Nation

06e7b71b902ed9b230203bef97e24280-sld.jpe

At least 16 people were killed on Wednesday evening when their double-deck coach crashed with a 18-wheel truck before slamming into roadside shops in in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Khieo district.

831bab126b40d2e35db6c162e85a2326.jpeg

Witnesses told police that the driver of the coach survived the accident and escaped from the scene. The accident took place on Nakhon Ratchasima-Kabin Buri Highway and when police and rescue workers arrived at the scene, they found the coach and and the truck crashed into roadside trees and stalls. 

115ff39f18d75a5bd59391a22387dcd3.jpeg

The coach had 50 passenger on-board. The rescue workers got 16 bodies out of the wrecked bus and rushed 34 injured persons to hospitals.

80399d70e02fc73197f926182fb2f778.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341462

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-22

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yet again, driver survives and does a runner !!!

I really wish they would put a mandatory jail sentence on anyone fleeing the scene of an accident.

If he gets beaten up by the crowd while he waits, unlucky...

my intelligent thai friend told me, in cases like this, to flee , so to avoid beatings and killings by the locals; told me to go to the police station for protection;  hmmmm; police,protection,local mobs;;

not good

Just now, YetAnother said:

my intelligent thai friend told me, in cases like this, to flee , so to avoid beatings and killings by the locals; told me to go to the police station for protection;  hmmmm; police,protection,local mobs;;

not good

In 90% of the accidents, the drivers need a good beating...

At least 16 killed in fatal bus-truck collision in Wang Nam Khiao district

By Thai PBS

bus3.jpg

At least 16 people were killed and more than 30 others were injured in a collision between a tour bus and an 18-wheel trailer truck on Nakhon Ratchasima-Kabin Buri road in Wang Nam Khiao district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday night (March 21).

Initial report from rescue workers said that the double-decker was carrying about 50 passengers for sight-seeing trip in Chanthaburi and it was heading back home in Kalasin, but as the driver was negotiating with a downhill curve, he lost control of the bus causing it to jump over the lane into the opposite lane and collided with a trailer truck coming from the direction of Kabin Buri district.

The impact of the collision sent both vehicles to plunge into the roadside ditch. Rescue workers said there were about 50 passengers in the bus and many of them were trapped inside the wreckage.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/least-16-killed-fatal-bus-truck-collision-wang-nam-khiao-district/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-22

I know there has been a loss of life here, and that is genuinely sad.

However, I’m waiting for the all-too-often-made calls to begin about banning double-decker buses as they’re dangerous.

I’ll get in first: If only they would think, and look at accident rates involving double-decker buses in other countries. I’m sure it must be the UK where there are more (and taller) double-decker buses than anywhere else, yet accidents there are very, very, rare.

It’s the drivers here that need banning. They need to be responsible and concentrate on their driving, not trying to get down hills with sharp bends at break-neck speed (no pun intended), or perform dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

As soon as this particular incident is out the news, it will be forgotten again until the next accident.

Tragic loss of life, people traveling on a bus returning home from a temple in Chantaburi, after visiting a temple for tamboon.

I dont know how it happened, but a bus going downhill, driver probably in high gear, not using the low gears, then driver loses control.

What a sad / tragic loss of life, my condolences to the bereaved families.

I remember a few years back when I said to the Mrs I am going to bus it down to Phuket to catch up with the boys and the reason I wanted to get the bus, is that I would take in the countryside, her reply was swift, NO, you are NOT.

I said and why do you think I am not, and she said; if you want to spend some happy time in Phuket, you have to get there 1st, so I have been flying ever since , smart girl my Mrs...

:post-4641-1156694572:

15 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Are Thai buses and trucks made to good standards of safety? Several after accident scenes show awful damage and scattered vehicle parts. They do seem to break apart rather easy.

I'd venture to say that's due to the combination of low quality, low safety standards and irresponsible driving.

The mind boggles. How do these people manage such catastrophic accidents on such a regular basis? I've seen photos of aeroplane crashes with less destruction. R.I.P too the deceased and life in prison for the driver.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

The mind boggles. How do these people manage such catastrophic accidents on such a regular basis? I've seen photos of aeroplane crashes with less destruction. R.I.P too the deceased and life in prison for the driver.

At least the driver gets life, more than can be said for his victims. Sad.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:
2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

not good

In 90% of the accidents, the drivers need a good beating...

No kidding Poindexter?

Worked in Thailand back in the 1980's, upcoutry. Directives; if involved in a fatal accident. Get out! Get down to Bangkok and turn yourself in. The company will help you.  The reason why they run is to avoid being beaten to death. Right or wrong until that stops they will continue to run.

4 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The reason why they run is to avoid being beaten to death

At least they have the option to run.. The passengers they kill are kind of a captive audience !!!

Obviously, it's not always the drivers fault but a great deal of the time it is...

If you are on or even near the roads in Thailand you are playing Russian Roulette,

even the pavements are not safe, this because of an attitude in Thailand that they

not going to have an accident so they do not have to follow the rules.

and the police do not want to be bothered with having to enforce them.

the ruling elite look after the ruling elite, and the poor pay the price of having a very

poor educational system, and on top of that no criticism is allowed so nobody is held accountable. and it goes on and on...... RIP people  

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

As soon as this particular incident is out the news, it will be forgotten again until the next accident.

We need to stop using the word 'accident' for such incidents. It was a 'crash'.

" ... (bus) was heading back home in Kalasin ... jump over the lane into the opposite lane and collided with a trailer truck coming from the direction of Kabin Buri district".

Pedantic detail, I know and perhaps inappropriate but if the bus was going TO Kalasin and the truck was coming FROM Kabinburi, wouldn't they have been going in the same direction? 

13 minutes ago, SWW said:

We need to stop using the word 'accident' for such incidents. It was a 'crash'.

Yes, very true. Often difficult to change the phrases you've been brought up to use.

In the UK, the police used to refer to an RTA - Road Traffic Accident. Now that too has changed to RTC - Road Traffic Collision, as 'accident' implies no one was to blame.

8 minutes ago, MartinL said:

" ... (bus) was heading back home in Kalasin ... jump over the lane into the opposite lane and collided with a trailer truck coming from the direction of Kabin Buri district".

Pedantic detail, I know and perhaps inappropriate but if the bus was going TO Kalasin and the truck was coming FROM Kabinburi, wouldn't they have been going in the same direction? 

Not pedantic really, very observant and correct. They were both north of Kabinburi.

Archived