At least 16 killed and many injured in Korat road accident

webfact

A government, displaying to the world their own ineptitude in dealing with road trauma. :post-4641-1156693976: Imbeciles!

If road trauma doesn't affect the elite/rich/connected they don't seem to care. Let the 'serfs' and tourists die! :sad:

RIP to those killed and I wish a full recovery to those injured.

P.S. And the coach driver shot on sight for the manslaughter of so many!

And I don't need to read on this forum the pathetic lawful excuses of the "politically correct".

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I remember a few years back when I said to the Mrs I am going to bus it down to Phuket to catch up with the boys and the reason I wanted to get the bus, is that I would take in the countryside, her reply was swift, NO, you are NOT.

I said and why do you think I am not, and she said; if you want to spend some happy time in Phuket, you have to get there 1st, so I have been flying ever since , smart girl my Mrs.

She was right on the money there. And of course she married you 4MyEgo. She probably had inside info' or more likely a Buddha premonition.

My wife says similar. "Can't go today (Tuesday) it's unlucky,"  "Can't do that; people wouldn't like it," "Must go to see special monk on the hill; lottery day tomorrow," etc, etc.............

The cost of flying around Thailand is so cheap at the mo' and I reckon the pilots are more conscious of their responsibilities than the average Thai bus drive. Safer, quicker and cheaper in the air.

10 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Are double-deckers used for intercity runs in the UK? If not, surely you're comparing apples and oranges.

I don't think they are used for intercity runs, but I'm not certain. I wouldn't say it's exactly apples and oranges, but I take your point about it.

However, if any of the buses here were driven within safe standards, the number of crashes would be dramatically less.

In the UK all double-decker buses - which are considerably taller than the ones in Thailand - are subject to skid tests, tilt tests, and other tests too. I saw a video on a test track of someone deliberately trying to throw 4 metre+ high bus onto its side. They failed.

For the tilt test, the bus has to be able to lean 28 degrees before it falls over. Some can lean more than 35 degrees.

I still say that here the main cause of crashes (not accidents) is driver error.

Yet another tragic incident, RIP to the poor souls who lost their lives.

I genuinely cringe every time I pass one of these double decker type coaches (which are not even close to being comparable to a UK London type), they are inherently unstable even when new, this just gets worse over time, as the suspension etc. gets worn, couple this with an untrained driver, who has no idea how to drive a car properly, let alone one of these coaches and this type of carnage occurs. You wouldn't get me on one for love nor money, yes life has its risks, but why multiply those risks if you don't have to, you know a flame is hot, so you don't touch it!

These coaches do not react well to sudden steering inputs and I'd imagine that it is something similar that happened here, you see it all the time, driver has the coach right on the tail of the vehicle in front, then yanks the steering wheel to turn the vehicle almost 90 degrees to make the overtake, making an unstable coach even more so.

As others have stated, this can never ever be described as an accident, it was totally avoidable.

Apart from very few, no incident on the roads can be called accidental, as there is nearly always an underlying cause, mostly human error.

This is one of the reasons that the British police renamed from Road Traffic Accident (RTA) to Road Traffic Collision (RTC).

A PSV (Public Service Vehicle) driving license is actually the hardest of all to get in the UK and with very good reason.

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

my intelligent thai friend told me, in cases like this, to flee , so to avoid beatings and killings by the locals; told me to go to the police station for protection;  hmmmm; police,protection,local mobs;;

not good

On the other hand, it would be a great help in natural selection. The "idiot" gene might eventually disappear, and in 10,000 years or so, Thailand would have average road death statistics.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. 

I made many trips by bus to Phuket, and many, many thousands still do, without incident.

You just lucky TBL; so far (as most of us are). Don't tempt fate. Consider flying in future.

What can one say about such a tragic accident, except that more than likely it could have been avoided, if the driver was more careful, had more skill, and considered the safety of his passengers. How he escaped with his life is an amazing thing to consider. Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into, to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

You just lucky TBL; so far (as most of us are). Don't tempt fate. Consider flying in future.

We all have to die sometime. 

I'll take my chances on the buses. 

I've nearly died several times in a car, and far as I know, no one is calling for us not to go in cars. In fact, I've NEVER nearly died in a bus, so buses far safer than cars.

:smile:

Aside from all the sad and absolutely unnecessary loss of life and the fact that -of course- absolutely NOTHING will be done, to prevent this, but there will be some @$$40LE, talking some hot air- balloon full of BS...

...ins;t it kind of telling, that the driver makes a runner, because he is in fear of his life, because he might be clubbered to death by some bystanding village- folk!

Thailand would so much want to be part of the first world, yet they believe in the power of amulets, in little fairies in the garden, who need a house and in an unhealthy portion of lynch- mentality on a daily basis!

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Simple answer IMHO, polite they may be, but they are also extremely selfish, hence the me first and damn the consequences, never ceases to amaze me the risks they will take to get one car ahead.

2 hours ago, zoza said:

If you are on or even near the roads in Thailand you are playing Russian Roulette,

even the pavements are not safe, this because of an attitude in Thailand that they

not going to have an accident so they do not have to follow the rules.

and the police do not want to be bothered with having to enforce them.

the ruling elite look after the ruling elite, and the poor pay the price of having a very

poor educational system, and on top of that no criticism is allowed so nobody is held accountable. and it goes on and on...... RIP people  

"even the pavements are not safe".  How very true, yet only on Thaivisa yesterday on another topic we had lots of TV members sticking up for and giving lots of "likes" to a guy riding his motorbike on the sidewalk, there was a fight between the MC rider and a fat farang.

I never thought I would see the day when westerners would condone Thai MCs riding on the sidewalk. "Oh! It's Thai culture". It is their country and we should accept it". Well I for one will never accept it, although I will accept nothing will ever change, and will never be able to do anything about it. Thai mentality is what it is.

Very sad this accident and shows again that the safety of the busses need improvement.

The passive safety like collision bars and roll bars are still not implemented. Many proven safety features are missing in the busses and trucks.

Or they have no use like the collisions bars because of length and width modifications even are disabled.

It would help a lot if all is used for what it is build and designed and will save a lot of injured and deaths.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

No kidding Poindexter?

Worked in Thailand back in the 1980's, upcoutry. Directives; if involved in a fatal accident. Get out! Get down to Bangkok and turn yourself in. The company will help you.  The reason why they run is to avoid being beaten to death. Right or wrong until that stops they will continue to run.

I am sure you are right LS27 , but what does it say about the locals turning on the driver ?

Is it automaticaly the fault of the driver so lets hang him from the nearest tree !   The opposite happened yesterday on one of our bike outings , an old pickup was turning right into a gas station and a fellow on a Wave couldn't stop in time and hit the pickup , the driver of which carried on up to a pump for gas , I was incensed and could see the bike rider coming along to have a word. I parked my bike in front of the pickup so he couldn't pay for gas and drive off. Now he should of been set on ignorant tw at . How can some knock someone into the road and have no concern ?

Within the EU the number killed in bus accidents are 2 per 100 million kilometers traveled......

Wonder what the numbers are for Thailand.....

Surprise, surprise...no statistics available.....:coffee1:

50 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Utter nonsense!!

One poster already said that about 90% of Thai bus drivers are to blame, I do not disagree, but what about the other 10% who are blameless? Do they stay and run the risk of being beaten up or even killed?

I've ridden big bike all over Thailand and the big buses, big trucks and minivans are the worst drivers on the road. Very aggressive and passing other big trucks and buses on blind corners and single lane highways. I have been forced to the shoulder of the road countless times. Many times if I was in a vehicle instead of a motorcycle, then I would have been forced into the ditch by these awful, aggressive drivers. 

2 hours ago, SWW said:

We need to stop using the word 'accident' for such incidents. It was a 'crash'.

Actually, given the high frequency of these pubic transport crashes and the drivers ad Thai governments apparent unwillingness to recognise and address the background causes, this probably comes under the definition of "self-harm, only on a national scale.

In a civilised country, where such  high death toll from a single incident occurs, you could expect to see the country's leader visiting the scene, talking with the Police and rescue workers and trying to find out what happened, why it happened so as to prevent recurrences.

I would not be surprised to find Prayut visiting this scene and the hospital, but he'd be there for campaigning purposes, he doesn't give a damn about the victims (and they are victims of a criminal lack of attention to Thailand's appalling driving standards).

16 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Very sad this accident and shows again that the safety of the busses need improvement.

The passive safety like collision bars and roll bars are still not implemented. Many proven safety features are missing in the busses and trucks.

Or they have no use like the collisions bars because of length and width modifications even are disabled.

It would help a lot if all is used for what it is build and designed and will save a lot of injured and deaths.

It is the "nut" on the steering wheel that needs to be fixed first, as a matter of priority. :thumbsup:

What an horrendous tragic loss of human lives...by this I'm referring to the number...and how many more will suffer or die belatedly. My condolences to the families. 

@colinneil probably right. On my many trips to Petchabun and back, often there has been trucks and buses close behind trying to overtake me on the steep downhill bends where a low gear is necessary. But I dare say moving to a low gear is more like 'losing face' to some inanimate object (the hill) and common sense is totally abandoned.

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

that is a tangled twisted mess...all this life lost and songkran ,''the road carnage fest'' is still two weeks away...

And this is a route my Mrs will take, yet nothing will dissuade her.

Horrific accident.

38 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a video on a test track of someone deliberately trying to throw 4 metre+ high bus onto its side. They failed.

For the tilt test, the bus has to be able to lean 28 degrees before it falls over. Some can lean more than 35 degrees.

I managed to find a video of the tilt test, and a skid test at the end:

30 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Simple answer IMHO, polite they may be, but they are also extremely selfish, hence the me first and damn the consequences, never ceases to amaze me the risks they will take to get one car ahead.

I am sorry, but I have to say what I believe to be true, yes, the majority of Thai people are non confrontational, honest and decent, but the majority of Thai people also lack common sense, and not just on the roads.

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Highway or motorway?

If not a motorway you were speeding. 

The 117 Highway runs between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok.

So in Thailand, what is the difference between a highway and a motorway?

One for the "i told you so" brigade.

Firstly drivers run to avoid the police without a representative - they then return with a lawyer. This is standard practice in Thailand to avoid the heavy handed approach of the police.

Secondly what really needs to be looked at is why the coach simply disintegrated and what protection there was for pedestrians and residents in the event of an accident.

One then needs to look at the speed and quality of emergency response and subsequent care in hospitals - the longer the delays, the more the chance of death.

It is sad that all the deaths of these people will achieve is a chorus of "blame the drivers" rather than a scientific investigation into why the death toll was so high and what can be dome to mitigate this sort of thing in the future.

compare te subsequent investigation into this with a coach accident in Europe.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am sorry, but I have to say what I believe to be true, yes, the majority of Thai people are non confrontational, honest and decent, but the majority of Thai people also lack common sense, and not just on the roads.

Could not agree more, it seems to be non-existent here.

Archived